How to AOE Shattered Halls?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How to AOE Shattered Halls?

Postby Jobalq » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:29 am

Hi,

Yesterday i tanked my first Shattered Halls and it was a great and smooth run.

Group was:
Shadow Priest
Mage
Hunter
Holy Priest
Paladin tank

I had some doubts on kill order for Dark Casters, Acolytes (suggestions?).

I am trying to find the best way to AOE tank this place, tips on the pulls for both Regular and Heroic mode. I created this image to help new Paladins on figuring the pulls in each place or segment (1-2, 2-3 etc.).

Many of you can tank this place with the eyes closed, so any input will be appreciated.

Thanks for your continued support!

Job
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:53 am

There's little order usually o.O
Kill order is
#1: Legionnaire
#2: AOE(if aoer), any caster(if not)
#3:???
#4: $$$

I just make sure i'm locking down acolytes when the first kill target dies. Interrupting a PoM ONCE is enough, and you can LoS all pulls with casters into melee range so healing threat is no issue.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Neara » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:10 am

Darkcaster does more dmg and fears - Acolytes heal. Depends on your group what you want to kill first. If your DPS is better than your Healer, kill the Darkcaster first. If your Healer is good and the DPS is lousy kill the Acolytes first

E:
if your healer knows that he has to follow you, wait til the legionnaire is at the other end of the hallway and just run towards him. After 3~ mobs you should walk backwards, because they can hurt quite a bit if they hit you in the back.

1:
With a good Healer, do a Bubble-pull (warn your group!!) .. but your healer needs to be on his toes, because this group can have 3-4 and more casters in it. Or just pull them in 2-3 pulls with LoS

2: The hallway is pretty straightforward. This one is actually harder on nonheroic, because on nonheroic the Sharpshooter use their Scatter Shot and you lose aggro on everything (at least it was like this the last time i did nonheroic half a year ago)
The Room: Just pull it, if one of the non-elites dies before the legionnaire be prepared to taunt an extra add from your healer.

B1: tank'n'spank - if you need mana jump in one of the shadow pillars (but be careful)

3: Pretty annoying part with a Resto Druid who keeps HoTs on you, just be quick and be ready to taunt or BoP your healer and keep on walking

4: Kill the 3 guys. on heroic the archers first on nonheroic it doesn't really matter.

5: On the first part i prefer it to pull the Gladiators first. Avoid being hit in the back, pull them when they are low in HP and kill the Centurios last - the Gladis are the painful ones.
At the point at the 3rd and 4th Gladiators i do a bubble pull, so that i don't need to LoS-pull the Caster.

B2: Max-spelldmg-gear. he does no real dmg and you will probably go OOM. Start with as little mana-use as possible. Tell your DPS to stop at the first change of Heads and to start as soon as he's back on you. When the Head changed you go all out, pop wings etc. a mana pot will be helpful if you want to use one in a normal instance. If you don't go OOM you should be able to stay at top on both his Threattables and no Cloth-wearer has to die.

6: On normal mode i just jused a bubble pull and ran through the hallway to get all Rogues at once. On Heroic i walk backwards while tanking the previous rogue to pull the next one, so that i'm always in combat and he can't sap me.

B3: <3 dual-wielder <3 High threat with your eyes closed. Just tank the adds and nuke the boss. Be ready to BoP the Healer on Blade Dance.
Neara

Postby Martie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:32 am

I love shattered halls, though I haven't done it on heroic yet.

Here's my kill order for any instance.

#1: Kill any mob with terrible special abilities.
#2: Kill anything that can drop your aggro.
#3: Kill healers.
#4: Kill ranged.
#5: Kill the rest.

Mobs with special abilities get shuffled around as needed.

In Shattered halls, the order generally is Legionnaires(summons) -Archers(scattershot) - Acolytes (I think they heal) - Darkcasters - everything else.
I'd normally kill the fearing mobs first, but they don't fear that often on normal, and healers can be worse.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby rolo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:39 am

Only part I've had a lot of trouble with has been the Gauntlet (between 3 and 4) event. Opinions seems divided between "run forward as fast as you can" (which usually means outrunning the healer and wiping) or "go slowly, one group at a time" which seems to lead to lead to somebody going oom and wiping. I've had most success with running about halfway, aoe tanking, running the rest of the way, aoe tanking any remaining trash, trying to drink up (while adds are coming 2 at a time), then hitting the Blood Guard boss. But, I have more trouble with the gauntlet than probably any other event in any other instance, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have an idiot-proof gauntlet strategy?

Also, maybe this is just bad luck, but every group seems to have one player who "knows" for sure that you need to (run through quickly | go through slowly) and gets personally offended if someone suggests something different.
Orcrist, lvl 70 Prot Paladin, Zul'Jin
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Orcrist
rolo

Postby Jobalq » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:50 am

rolo wrote:Only part I've had a lot of trouble with has been the Gauntlet (between 3 and 4) event. Opinions seems divided between "run forward as fast as you can" (which usually means outrunning the healer and wiping) or "go slowly, one group at a time" which seems to lead to lead to somebody going oom and wiping. I've had most success with running about halfway, aoe tanking, running the rest of the way, aoe tanking any remaining trash, trying to drink up (while adds are coming 2 at a time), then hitting the Blood Guard boss. But, I have more trouble with the gauntlet than probably any other event in any other instance, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have an idiot-proof gauntlet strategy?

Also, maybe this is just bad luck, but every group seems to have one player who "knows" for sure that you need to (run through quickly | go through slowly) and gets personally offended if someone suggests something different.

When i did it i was going slower but i found myself oom very quick. Good thing i had a SP with me that helped with mana a little but i think at least for regular (when not overgearing) that can be done doing half and half with a bubble pull. In that way you can catch the first/second spawns on your way up, AOE tank and then prepare a second run before the Blood Guard
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby Indago » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:48 am

If you have trouble with you/your healer/your dps going oom, then you can stop and drink during the gauntlet, just so long as your not standing in the fire.
Usually I chain pull the groups and take the pats as they come, till about 1/2 the way down, or my healer needs to stop, then wait and let the group mana up until the next pat comes down. I think your less likely to be hit by the fire if you stick to the walls, but not totally sure, I could be imagining things. Then we just start back up at the next pat and work our way down to the 4 pull right before the archers, after that pull I let the group mana up again if we need it, then pull the archers (and boss if H).

"It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you get hit, and keep moving forward."-R.Pausch
Indago

Postby Kelaan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm

rolo wrote:I've had most success with running about halfway, aoe tanking, running the rest of the way, aoe tanking any remaining trash, trying to drink up (while adds are coming 2 at a time), then hitting the Blood Guard boss.

I tend to do this. Outrunning the healer on nonheroic is FUNNY -- esp if you have a blocking trinket and such, but on heroic it can be fatal. So, I tend to go far enough to be at the halfway point, and drop a consecrate there. I fight kinda on the side so that we can be out of fires. We usually nuke these down, and then I drink and pull the rest.

One thing that REALLY helps is to have a bear or warrior who can toss on some tanking gear and tank the small spawns (of two) while you are drinking. We used this to rez people midway, once, and other times have used it just so that I can regain mana. When I do that, I run to the end and grab the stationary 4 guards before the boss, also.
Kelaan

Postby Martie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Outrunning the healer?

What?

You are pulling every mob, the healer isn't supposed to be doing anything but run after you. Considering those mobs you pull cast hamstring, he should be able to keep up with you. If he's not, he's doing something he's not supposed to do (and that includes anything except for following you.)

What I do is grab the entire gauntlet, cast blessing of freedom when I get hamstringed, throwing down a low rank consecrate every now and then in case someone decides to do something stupid. Once I'm done with running, I just consecrate, holy shield and everything dies.

(Having a 'lock there helps. Seed of Corruption is amazing.)
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby Kelaan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Martie wrote:Outrunning the healer?

What?

You are pulling every mob, the healer isn't supposed to be doing anything but run after you.

My gear (or skill? ;)) is not good enough to survive the heroic gauntlet in one pull if I don't get heals. I'll get overwhelmed if my healer can't keep up -- I have PoJ and they don't. A paladin healer especially has a hard time with this, as they can't cast on the move. So, I stop halfway so as to let them catch up.
Kelaan

Postby ldeboer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:28 pm

The more normal way to do this is

legionare skull
mark anything with a mana bar
mark any rifleman

The melee really represents no threat take them out in that order.

If you have casters los pull behind and wall or outcrop you can find.

Gauntlet make sure healer knows not to heal until you are not stopped and have cons down and get them to move close to you when they do so anything going to agro on them is in consecrate.

Move as you feel comfortable and make sure you have a mana pot handy.

The section with pits.

I pull the dog pat and the big pack back into that second boss room and then I clear the left or right pit especially since there is usually a chest.
I use that area for LOS pull on the next big pack between the pits.
ldeboer

Postby rolo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:57 pm

thanks for the gauntlet comments, I'll give it another try next time it's the daily.

after (5), the biggest threat will be rogues constantly jumping you, really helps to have a competent hunter who'll flare ahead. If not, what I do is make whichever DPS is last on the meter run ahead first and flush out rogues. Its relatively safe for him, the rogues tend to sap/cheap shot and move on to the rest of the group, where I am waiting to pick them up. Most groups would otherwise tend to expect me to go first, even though this generally leads to a sapped tank and a dead healer.
Orcrist, lvl 70 Prot Paladin, Zul'Jin
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Orcrist
rolo

Postby Marker » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:54 am

I normally do the gauntlet in a 2-kill. Start running from the bottom of the ramp after Grand Warlock when everyone is topped up and ready. Frisbee the pack of 3 once they're within range and leg it after the guy that runs of to warn the rest. I keep running until I have mobs coming to me, normally halfway/two-thirds down the hallway. The healer can heal before that if he wants, the AS should be enough to keep em on me. Consecrate, AoE kill the mobs. Run to end and clear up to boss, AoE and kill boss right after, he's easy anyways.

I also normally skip the Gladiators, unless it's daily dungeon or someone in the run need Executioner enchant recipie. If you skip them it's important to LoS the first big pack way back and preferrably bubble-pull the next big group to the safezone in the hallway between glad packs. Always burst the Legionnaire first. Stun as much as possible when he gets low on health so he doesn't call for reinforcements. I've had times when suddenly 2 gladiator packs comes jolting at us..
Marker

Postby Kelaan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:09 am

rolo wrote: the biggest threat will be rogues constantly jumping you, really helps to have a competent hunter who'll flare ahead.

Rogue management:
- Flare. Long cooldown makes this annoying.
- Rogue goes ahead and saps them. Might require 5/5 MoD.
- Bear / warrior tanks rogues. Rage doesn't have to wait between pulls, whereas I always get ganked as I sit to drink, it seems. Having them go ahead and solo rogues is fun for them and less stressful for you. :) A soul link warlock might be able to do this, but I haven't tried it.
- I bet you could get a mage to blink to the intersection, frost nova, and then ice block or something -- mobs gather on him, you shield toss and consecrate them.

I much prefer the "ask the rage-user to be rogue-bait". They have the armor to survive, while you get a few more secs to drink. Mana starvation on that part of the run is one of the most annoying things, for me.
Kelaan

Postby Marker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 am

Everyone can be roguebait, just be sure to have taunt/stun ready and you can pick them up easily. Just dont move once you've pulled one of the normal groups so you don't get them in addition.
Marker

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics