Remove Advertisements

Nexus-Prince Shaffar - Regular

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Nexus-Prince Shaffar - Regular

Postby SirKillalot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:09 pm

First off, I'd like to say thank you to everybody on these forums for making learning what I'm doing as a growing Tankadin so much easier. I've been lurking here for a while now, reading the guides and such, as I've leveled my Paladin (Arcina on Twisting Nether-US, if you're interested) from 1 to 67. I've successfully tanked everything up to Auchenai Crypts so far, and I've been wondering one thing: Is Nexus-Prince Shaffar actually possible with a full group in the level range for the instance? I've spent a lot of time (and a lot of repair gold) trying to down him, and only succeeded once when our healer for the run (a 66-ish holy priest) brought in his main, a well-geared (didn't ask or look to see what exactly) resto shaman to heal us through the boss. It was cake once he was there, but when we tried it with the holy priest I went down in maybe 15 seconds. I was eating too many frostbolts both from the prince and the adds, or the adds were targeting the healer and I wouldn't get enough and die. I was wondering how successful other people have been in actually killing Shaffar with a healer at the level of the instance, or if there's maybe something I should have been doing to keep from wiping.
SirKillalot

Postby ldeboer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 am

At level to kill him there is only two ways to do it

1.) Two people stay on adds and 1 stays on boss. Even then you needed very good dps for your level for each person.

2.) The second cheat way we used to do it is to get a hunter or lock to send pet to him and agro him and run back to the group. The rest of you stand near the cube event and when he is agroed start the event. The incoming army helps pwn him and the adds. Remember you must do 50% dmg to him so ignore the adds where possible.
ldeboer

Postby Martie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:08 am

If the boss was killing you, you did your job for that part. If the healer couldn't keep you up, someone else was screwing up. Either the dps weren't downing the adds fast enough.

I've done him once at level (Did every instance once or twice at level, combine it with some questing and you won't be able to do them more then once or twice.) I read up on the boss tactics beforehand (always do), and by the time we got to the prince my party knew for the most part to follow my lead, and I also made very clear that it was a situation where they either followed the tactic or caused a wipe. We downed him in one try.

A properly specced and decently geared healer really shouldn't have a problem keeping you up. For the most part, the levelling instances don't require a healing spec. It makes things a lot easier, but it's not a real requirement.

So your problem lies in the dps. Again, the instances are not so hard that they require gearing up, any dpser should be able to do them in their questing gear.

Basically, only one thing remains that can go wrong. Tactics.

And boy, do people in 5mans hate tactics, I can tell you that.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby SirKillalot » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Actually, I just downed him tonight at level 67, with no 70s in the group. We had a 64 hunter, 66 druid healing, and 2 locks (66 and 68 ) plus myself. After a couple wipes when the healer said to try and get the beacons to disappear with an Eye of Kilrogg (failed both times and aggroed the boss, they probably fixed the bug), I just marked a kill order for the beacons, ran in with Avenger's Shield and started consecrating, and taunted the beacons back to me when they ran away. I think I was probably doing it a bit wrong even then, as I was mostly focusing on the boss and trying to keep the beacons with aoe, but this time we got the beacons down fast enough that no adds spawned and were able to dps the boss down pretty fast. Before when I'd tried it (with a different pug), we didn't have enough dps on the beacons and ended up with 2 or 3 apprentices. The healer couldn't keep up and I died. This time we didn't have any apprentices spawn at all, and the healer had no trouble keeping up with the boss + the beacons.

I really need to learn how to write forum posts that aren't walls of text.
SirKillalot

Postby Dragnl0rd » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 pm

I was able to do mana tombs with relative ease, especially the nexus prince. For that boss I pretty much do the following (and I spend the last half the fight at little to no mana since I use it as I get it.)

1) Mark a kill order for the first 3 beacons and tell ALL of your dps to burn em down in order quickly. This gives you time to load a bunch of threat on prince by the time the beacons are down, and the healer shouldn't need to worry *much* about the dps on the beacons since the beacons die before they can do much damage.

2) whenever a new beacon spawns, I target it and tap a macro that does the following:

/rw --ASSIST ME ON %t--
/script SetRaidTarget("target",8);

and all the dps instantly know to burn the new beacon (which has been conveniently marked with a skull) down.

Repeat #2 as needed.

Also, the reason I'm usually out of mana is because every time shaffar hits me with a freeze and blinks away, I cast Avenger's Shield again.
Dragnl0rd

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics