Remove Advertisements

Black morass tactic question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Black morass tactic question

Postby Martie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 am

Hi folks, I got a question about normal Black Morass.

I've only been there once, when I was level 68, and it sucked. I had a mage who kept on casting pyroblast and couldn't kill the adds assigned to him. (We had a hunter pick up most of the adds, the mage said he'd help out with the dragonlings. So to keep the shield up, I started picking up the dragonlings, thinking that the mage'd have an easier time burning them down. But he was just ignoring them (claiming that there was a big elite in the way or something. Now, I know I'm elite, but I'm not that big in-game.)

The hunter did an okay job of keeping the other adds focused on him, though.

The bosses were tough. That fight made me realize why crush and crit immunity is so damn important. I'm level 70 now, though, so I wanted another sorty.

So, here are my questions. If I get someone to burn down the caster adds quickly, is it viable for me to tank all the adds?

What classes are best suited for taking down the adds should I not tank all of them? (I trust you guys a hell of a lot more then I trust people to know their own class.)

Am I worrying too much, and should I just go in there and waltz right through it like I usually do on instances?
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby Rilude » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:59 am

Hello,

I am sorry for your bad experiences in BM but you must of had a crap group.

I play a mage and I normally offer to take down the adds and I do so without any problems. When my friend the tankadin tanks the adds he tanks them next to the portal - with consercrate down it gives me the extra second to cast a frostbolt.

We have also had a hunter take the adds without any problems.

You should have no problems, if you tank the mini boss adds (the 1st guy who comes out the portal) next to the portal, wack down consercrate and get 1 person to take down the little adds.

Jump in a group and pick one person to take down the adds while you tank the main guys.

GL :D

.R
Rilude

Postby Martie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:01 am

You play a mage, you say?

On sylvanas EU?

Gimme a whisper sometime, we can do some stuff together.

Martie

Postby guillex » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:03 am

Martie wrote:You play a mage, you say?

On sylvanas EU?

Unless Sylvanas is PvE, and unless he has a Horde mage, you're SoL. :P
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Martie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:06 am

Nah, I rock so hard that I can hunt with allies too.

It's simple. You see a gnome, you mind control a gnome, you send a gnome out to his death. (Or you buff them just to confuse them.)

Martie

Postby Dendrah » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:31 am

For your BM problem. With good DPS you can simply tank it all. Ignore the adds and burn throu the bosses. Do the adds afterwards. You shouldn't have more then 2-3 anyway.

Classes that are good for taking adds down:
hunters
mages
fury warriors
ele shamans
stunning rogues
locks
enha shammies
shockadins

Only SP's have some trouble doing it. All players who know what they do and can ditch some damage can get them down.
Dendrah

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:56 am

All adds beeline to medivh, more or less. Once you find the path they take(it's quite simple, only one requires a small halfbit of thought), just stand there to tank the bigger guy, and the adds will stick to you.

From there there are a few ways
1: You keep the adds and when the Keeper is low, aoe them all down
2: Another person dedicates to kililng them as they come

Typically I just do number one, to tank them all and have they die quick enough while still giving me some mana.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Rilude » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:45 am

Martie wrote:You play a mage, you say?

On sylvanas EU?

Hi Yes,

I play a Gnome Mage called Kaobeth - you can message me on my paladin or my mage (though you may find me on my paladin more, trying to get it geared up) we will have to instanced it up :)

.R
Rilude

Postby Inukshuk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 am

I'm still getting my feet wet as a tank, but I tanked BM last night, and even with sub level 70 DPS, this was a walk in the park. The tricky part was keeping up my mana so I could keep laying down the consecrates and keep the adds on me. That, and the fact that my party seemed to want to AoE before the rift keepers were down, which was just plain inefficient. Overall, though, this is a walk in the park. I found I needed to judge wisdom to keep my mana up, since even tanking everything, you don't take much damage, but otherwise, a paladin tank cuts the difficulty of this instance way, way down.
Inukshuk

Postby Sederia » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 am

Inukshuk wrote:I'm still getting my feet wet as a tank, but I tanked BM last night, and even with sub level 70 DPS, this was a walk in the park. The tricky part was keeping up my mana so I could keep laying down the consecrates and keep the adds on me. That, and the fact that my party seemed to want to AoE before the rift keepers were down, which was just plain inefficient. Overall, though, this is a walk in the park. I found I needed to judge wisdom to keep my mana up, since even tanking everything, you don't take much damage, but otherwise, a paladin tank cuts the difficulty of this instance way, way down.

depends on my group, I sometimes like the AE nuking loons, if they are smart locks it's not like they didn't put a pet + dots on the elite

as for conc and mana, try downranking?, it's the only way I make it thru some groups there...
Sederia

Re: Black morass tactic question

Postby Peryl » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 am

Martie wrote:Hi folks, I got a question about normal Black Morass.

I've only been there once, when I was level 68, and it sucked. I had a mage who kept on casting pyroblast and couldn't kill the adds assigned to him. (We had a hunter pick up most of the adds, the mage said he'd help out with the dragonlings. So to keep the shield up, I started picking up the dragonlings, thinking that the mage'd have an easier time burning them down. But he was just ignoring them (claiming that there was a big elite in the way or something. Now, I know I'm elite, but I'm not that big in-game.)

The hunter did an okay job of keeping the other adds focused on him, though.

The bosses were tough. That fight made me realize why crush and crit immunity is so damn important. I'm level 70 now, though, so I wanted another sorty.

So, here are my questions. If I get someone to burn down the caster adds quickly, is it viable for me to tank all the adds?

What classes are best suited for taking down the adds should I not tank all of them? (I trust you guys a hell of a lot more then I trust people to know their own class.)

Am I worrying too much, and should I just go in there and waltz right through it like I usually do on instances?

I did this at 70 and it was a blast. I'd heard some bad stories about BM and was worried, but it turned out to be so much fun. After running OH so many times, this was a fast and fun instance. At the start you get to AOE tank all the non-elites, then you run from portal to portal. Just tank, tank, tank, tank..

First, this is a level 70 instance. At 68 it means you are going to get critted and crushed all over the place. Just being 70 will help with that.

Second, there's a lot of gear you can upgrade at 70 that can really improve your stats.

Just tank everything. Sometimes I would miss an add or two, which would be picked up by the rest of the DPS. Just tank the elite and try to catch the adds, but if you miss a few no problem. Your DPS should be able to handle the adds, they are non-elite. I don't think class should matter...

The only issue I had was trying to drink between some of the portals. Just use SoR or SoV and low rank consecrate. Don't burn too much of your mana.

2nd boss, use an avoidence trinket if you have it to drop the mortal wound debuff. Back up and move him around a bit and give the debuff time to drop off. Don't move too far from the portal tho, just back off a little bit and move in circles to keep the debuff gone.

Use beacons after 2nd boss to rest up, it's probably a good idea to use one right before him as well.

3rd boss, point him away from the group. He will time stop you, you can bubble out of it I believe and pot.

It should be a lot easier for you this time.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:29 am

Regular BM with a smart group is cake. Crush immunity is not needed in ANY normal or Heroic instance, and your def only needs to be 485. 490 and 102.4 are only imperative numbers for raid bosses. Though, the better your avoidance the easier it is on your healer. You will want to find a mix that works for you. I normally run at

506 defense and
92-95% avoidance / block rating with holy shield up.

Sometimes that works, and sometimes I toss on my uncrush gear to deal with more mobs. Now, I'm not 'great' geared (geared enough to clear kara and still get upgrades from there).

To illustrate the point of regular BM, My 70 rogue, in PVP gear and 1400 atk power (he is just a daily toon now) handles add duty in BM with ease. I normally don't need heals as long as they are quick about downing the portal.
Shoju

Re: Black morass tactic question

Postby Amirya » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Peryl wrote:First, this is a level 70 instance. At 68 it means you are going to get critted and crushed all over the place. Just being 70 will help with that.

>.> It's worse when you're 66, just complete OHF for the first time, then your group insists you can tank BM. And completely ignores you when you say you cannot, and you know you cannot.

Couldn't even make it past the third portal.

Anyway, my favorites for the adds are hunter, fury warrior, arms warrior, or enhancement shaman. Feral druids are good for it too.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Carabar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:15 am

Shoju wrote:Regular BM with a smart group is cake. Crush immunity is not needed in ANY normal or Heroic instance, and your def only needs to be 485. 490 and 102.4 are only imperative numbers for raid bosses.

Question here -- seeing as the OP indicated that he was tanking this on @ lvl 68...

I have always been under the assumption that whether or not a mob is a boss is completly irrelevant in terms of whether it can crush you or not. All that is needed is for it to be 3 levels above you (which, @ lvl 70, heroic bosses are not, while raid bosses happen to fulfil that criterium). Seeing as the bosses in BM are lvl 72, a lvl 69 tankadin would have to hit the 490/102.4 criteria in order to not eat crushing blows (a lvl 68 needing insane stats...).

Was this assumption in error? I.e. I could tank BM as a lvl 69 w/o having to worry about crushing blows?
Carabar

Postby Jobalq » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:54 am

Carabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:Regular BM with a smart group is cake. Crush immunity is not needed in ANY normal or Heroic instance, and your def only needs to be 485. 490 and 102.4 are only imperative numbers for raid bosses.

Question here -- seeing as the OP indicated that he was tanking this on @ lvl 68...

I have always been under the assumption that whether or not a mob is a boss is completly irrelevant in terms of whether it can crush you or not. All that is needed is for it to be 3 levels above you (which, @ lvl 70, heroic bosses are not, while raid bosses happen to fulfil that criterium). Seeing as the bosses in BM are lvl 72, a lvl 69 tankadin would have to hit the 490/102.4 criteria in order to not eat crushing blows (a lvl 68 needing insane stats...).

Was this assumption in error? I.e. I could tank BM as a lvl 69 w/o having to worry about crushing blows?

Tanking lvl 72 mobs at 68-69 it will bring 2 problems:
1.- The crushing blows unless you have the gear to not take them.
2.- The Weapon Skilll will be lower so you will hit the mobs less and less, creating threat problems on a dps race.

In order to be able to go through the instance at this level range having a skilled and geared healer to keep you alive and replentish your mana pool.
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics