Couple questions about BM

Postby kaisaa » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:02 am

Okay we tried BM 3 times yesterday and failed all three times. My group was:

me tanking
holy pally +700 healing, 8000 mana, 20% crit chance
destruction warlock +500 damage
frost mage
destruction warlock +1000 damage

The first two times we made it to the last boss dragon and got killed there, the last time we just screwed up our healer went OOM and we died on the second boss dragon.

Our basic tactic was, the frost mage stood by the shield and killed all the adds and I tanked the rift lords while the two warlocks DPSed him down and the healer healed obviously.

The first try we were way behind and had 2 portals still open with the boss spawned. The second try we were almost done with the last rift lord when the boss spawned. The shield was pretty good both times at about 85-90% when the boss spawned.

Okay couple of questions:

1) Was our tactic okay with the mage handling the adds or should I have been using concecrate to gather up the adds and try to tank them all while we DPSed the rift lord and then killed the adds?

2) Am I geared enough to tank all the adds as well as the rift lord?
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... n&n=Kaisaa

3) After we kill the last rift lord, is it possible for everyone to drink/heal before taking on the last boss if we have enough shield left? Will he just sit there and eat at the shield until we engage him or will he come after us? Because both times we ran in and started trying to fight him immediatly after killing the last rift lord and our healer was almost OOM both times.

4) When and where are the best places to use the beacons?

Thanks!
kaisaa

Postby Vylee » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:15 am

1) I think you should play more to yor AoE tanking strengths. When I do this, I always have consecrate down to collect all the adds. Everyone DPS's down the rift lords as fast as possible. Once they are dead we Seed of Corruption / Arcane Explosion the adds down. They go down very quickly. Mount up and move to the next portal.

2) You look pretty good gear wise. I think your 2 points off for defense (showing at 488 and I believe you need 490). Eliminating crits is pretty huge for that guy. Other than that, I think you're ok.

3) Yes, usually not many adds will get by your consecrate if you setup about 10 feet from the portal so Medivh's shield should be fairly strong. Even if the shield is at 50% you have a good amount of time to drink and should do so. He won't aggro immediately unless you are near Medivh.

4) Depends on how fast you're DPS'ing the rift lords down. If your lagging a little, I place them right in front of the portal to help tear through the rift lords. Once you've done it a few times and get very comfortable you really don't need em at all. You can save all 5 for the last 5 portals (one for each) to kinda take a break. Just don't use the beacons on the bosses. They have a tendancy to make them look like a tanking priest. :D
Vylee

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:16 am

1) Yes, but have him stand closer to the portals so he can throw a frostbolt or two at the rift lords inbetween adds

2) Probably, but I wouldn't recommend it, the mage should be able to deal with it fine.

3) Yep, mana up and make sure everyone's ready, he'll just stand there.

4) Ignore adds on the 2nd boss to DPS him down fast, use a beacon afterward to kill them. The rest can be used whenever, we usually save them for the last boss. There's a cooldown on his ability to desummon them, if you drop one, let him desummon, then drop the other three, they do a lot of damage to him.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby kaisaa » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 am

Vylee wrote:
2) You look pretty good gear wise. I think your 2 points off for defense (showing at 488 and I believe you need 490). Eliminating crits is pretty huge for that guy. Other than that, I think you're ok.

Okay, confused on this. I thought for non-raid tanking I only needed 485 because that covers crits up to lvl 72 mobs. I can certainly switch out a piece of gear to gain those other two points for 490. In my pure tanking gear I have about 506 defense and more avoidance but only about 175 Spell Damage. For regular 5 mans though I have been wearing more spell damage gear and making sure to stay above 485 defense.
kaisaa

Postby Xanatos » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:08 am

Deja, Temporus and Aeonus are all 72 elites. You only need 485 defense to be immune to crits in BM. Having said that, more defense is never bad but you may want to concentrate more on dodge in this case for an easier time with Temporus.

One of the main problems that I can envision is that your mage was too far from the main group while dealing with the adds. Since you were using a holy pally, you didn't really have a mobile healer who could run and HoT at the same time. Therefore, you probably had a few instances where he ran back and forth throwing Holy Light instead of FoL - resulting in him going oom by the last boss.

Take some time to drink after each rift if u can afford it. Make sure everyone has food as well since you save that much more time if everyone eats (as opposed to waiting for heals).

Finally, the sequence of dropping the beacons really boils down to personal preference. I never had problems on Aeonus so I drop one on rift 12 for the adds while the party concentrates on Temporus. The rest are used on the rifts leading to the last boss so we can have more time to drink.
Xanatos

Postby kaisaa » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:19 am

Sounds like two things would have really helped us. First using a beacon on the second boss so that all DPS could focus on burning him down. And second taking the time to mana up, buff before taking on the last boss.

Will try those two things next time. I just want to finish the quest so I can get the leggings and the glyph!!
kaisaa

Postby Xanatos » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:25 am

kaisaa wrote:Sounds like two things would have really helped us. First using a beacon on the second boss so that all DPS could focus on burning him down. And second taking the time to mana up, buff before taking on the last boss.

Will try those two things next time. I just want to finish the quest so I can get the leggings and the glyph!!

Leggings, Glyph and Continuum Blade. Unless you've already gotten the crystalforged one.
Xanatos

Postby kaisaa » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:47 am

Xanatos wrote:
kaisaa wrote:Sounds like two things would have really helped us. First using a beacon on the second boss so that all DPS could focus on burning him down. And second taking the time to mana up, buff before taking on the last boss.

Leggings, Glyph and Continuum Blade. Unless you've already gotten the crystalforged one.

I do, I bought the crystal forged one when I hit 70. Found one in the AH for 183g. Seemed like a good investment and I had the extra g to spend on it. :P
kaisaa

Postby adese » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:20 am

kaisaa wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

I do, I bought the crystal forged one when I hit 70. Found one in the AH for 183g. Seemed like a good investment and I had the extra g to spend on it. :P

I would still pick up the Continuum Blade, though. If you can get to uncrushable without the Crystalforged Sword, the extra block rating is useless - that makes CB a lot better so you can get the added spell hit and such.
adese

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:23 am

your healing seems anemic... +700 healing? At 70? I'm Prot, with pieces of Judgement in my healing gear... and I have more healing than that.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Alkaiae » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:16 am

I posted something about this in another thread (http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=1208), but here goes:

It sounds to me like your dps may have been a bit low. I've yet to have an issue with Rift Lords still being open when the final boss spawned, so maybe it's an issue there. Make sure the locks are clear that they should be going all out, and have the mage help out if he can. The key here is using your beacons correctly: either go with the Lore strategy (which would probably make the last boss fairly simple) or use on the 2nd boss to let your mage DPS (again, I feel like your locks aren't DPSing that well) and use the others scattered through the remaining portals.

Your gear looks fine to tank - I wouldn't be scared of AoEing a bit, as it can't hurt to grab a couple of the adds with consecrate. This will let your mage help out on the elites a bit, helping further with the DPS.

In terms of your healer, what the other guys have said is true - don't aggro the boss until your healer has mana, it's fine to let him whack on the shield. In fact, I've let him do this every time I've been in there - at 85-90%, you've got some time, so let him drink up. Better to complete with the shield at 40% than wipe with the shield at 90%.^^ I'm not sure if the +700 is low, but it sounded like the real issue was you aggroing the boss too early, which is easily fixed.
Alkaiae
Blood Elf Paladin, <Unbridled Fury>
US-Misha
Alkaiae

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics