Remove Advertisements

Low Level 5 Mans

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Low Level 5 Mans

Postby Kanamun » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:17 am

Hello all,
Wanted to start off by saying that this is my first post. Been reading for about a month now and love this site.Has the best information I have found for pally tanks so far. Thanks goes out to all those smarter and with more time than myself.
The 5man/herioc is my favorite forum to read. Love the stories and the strategies. But most of the information is for those in BC and pushing or at 70. Yes I want to get there but I still have a ways to go and still love tanking at my level 47.
I am posting because I wanted to share a couple stories and ask a few questions based on my experiences. My first real tanking experience was in Scarlet Monestary Armory and Cathderal. Wow what a wake up call. Not as easy as you guys make is sound thats for sure. Group was me at 36(I know was low for cath, everything was orange to me), a 38 and 39 rogue, 37 mage and a 37 priest. Even with salvation on the rogues i was still OOM every pull and using taunt whenever I remembered it. Not really a fun experience, especially when one rogue brags about how well they off tanked cause you couldnt be aggro back from them.
Now skip ahead a few levels to 44 and i find a pug for Uldaman(trying to complete a quest). Group was me, 48 holy pally, 47 ret pally, and a 45 &46 rogues. Ret pally wanted to tank because they had more hp than I did. So I just said whatever, we will see what happens. Well I end up fighting ret pally for aggro up to the first boss because I wanted mana and she was taking a lot of damage. Not the smoothest run at that point but after the first boss she had person issues and had to log. So the rest of us decided to 4 man the rest. I was getting bored and low on mana so I decided to push the healer and started pulling everything i could get close to and breaking and CC the rogues tried for :D . The healer types to me "I actually had to heal on that pull", i responed "Yeah i had mana also :) , More?", "Lets do it." he said. So i told him to tell me if i stress his healing ot much and started chain pulling the rest of the instance and got going so fast the rogues were asking if we could go back and pick up bosses and trash we missed. It was a blast for me and the healer said he enjoyed it as well.
So those are my towo memoriable stories. Now for my questions(comments on stories are welcome of course). Is tanking an instance at level or one higher than you with dps that is higher level or better geared always as difficult as my cath run? Cause to me it seems to be so far. Do healers really like to have me pull until they have to heal or was that a random occurance? I have also picked up the back and ring from BGs and other ring for +spell damage. IS it worth it to help wiht threat at my level? Or should I still be stacking all the +stam I can find? I have more stam gear in bags but only use it to put more stam up so i can tank over another pally or warrior.
And in general looking for more advice on tanking instances and stratagies in them on the way to Outlands and 70. I want to be a good tank when I get to outlands not just learning how.

P.S. Anyone else get more whipers for off spec healing then tanking whipers as well?
Thanks for bearing with me i know it was long.
ImageImage
Kanamun

Postby UMIO » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:11 pm

holding aggro over people higher lvl than you and better geared can be at time hard but it gets easier as you lvl and get into outlands because u will get more pally tank gear and spell damage stuff. and yes generally the healers i have met like to have to heal so they don't just sit there doing next to nothing and casting the odd heal over time
UMIO

Postby Peryl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:40 am

Wall of text crits you for 85340903 :wink:

Don't listen to those guys at low level. First, any instance where you are below the mobs is going to be rough, especially as a tank. I usually try to be 1~2 levels above recommended. It just makes things go smoother.
Second, the rogue doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. This is not some level 70's instance. You don't have any spell damage or even HS yet, how the heck are you going to hold aggro well? BTW, if the rogue is pulling off you, guess who's fault that is? But really, lower level stuff doesn't require a real tank. In general, I don't recommend to even spec prot until lev 42 when you can get improved HS. Before that I was ret/holy and just strapped on a shield.

I would stack stam mostly. You dont' really get any good spell damage gear until Outlands. (Check the gear stickies).

And yes, it's quite common to get off spec whispers. It's up to you if you want to answer them. I've healed ST, Ulda, and Mara as prot. Sometimes if you are looking for a group it's necessary. But it wasn't really much fun, I kept wanting to run to the front and beat down stuff :lol: . I did enjoy when mobs would come after me due to healing aggro. After Mara, I committed full time to prot and turned down all whispers otherwise.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Kanamun » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:17 am

Thank you for all the helpful advice. So basically dont worry about what others say just have fun until outlands when i should really shine :) .
ImageImage
Kanamun

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics