Remove Advertisements

Lord Ahune

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby ldeboer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Invisusira wrote:I basically do this fight naked, since you don't take damage. Running up the the boss repeatedly helps.

Show-off ;)

I wouldn't do it naked the idea of getting spiked while not wearing anything makes me grimace.
ldeboer

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:21 am

ldeboer wrote:
Invisusira wrote:I basically do this fight naked, since you don't take damage. Running up the the boss repeatedly helps.

Show-off ;)

I wouldn't do it naked the idea of getting spiked while not wearing anything makes me grimace.
|As long as it's well lubed.

Mana starvation is a huge issue. if everyone beats add as they come you'll be able to judge wisdom. For boss, have the healer wand it. Judge wisdom, seal wisdom and have fun watch the dps do something.

I liked tanking the hailstone best roughly where it spawns, but outisde if Ahune's melee(like, just after the frost). Picks many adds + holds them
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:15 am

I had the most retarded group - all the dps/heals would stay beside me or in front of me after first time on heart...

We still did it but omg it was messy.
Sarutankah

Postby Nottebella » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:18 am

Non-heroic, the fight is a joke. The adds die super fast, the elite dies super fast, the spikes do very little damage, and if you can't kill Ahune in two cycles (I've seen him at 20% after one) your dps is asleep. However, if you wipe on non-heroic, you've lost that summon for the day.

Heroic, the fight becomes a nightmare. If you have insane dps you can down him in two cycles, but it's probably going to take three. The third cycle is where things get rough, the adds are coming out at an insane rate. It is extremely important for everyone to avoid the spikes, including the tank. This can be very hard to do with the ground covered in ice, because they become very hard to see. To avoid them, you have to move the moment you see the swirl around you. If you see the crystals on the ground, it is too late, you won't get away. You need to watch for the swirl at all times. Keep melee, especially rogues, off the elite, the debuff combined with scatter damage will kill them.

The enchant is a 100% drop on heroic. It seems to be 20% or less on non-heroic. Sometimes rare booze drops from the chest, when the chest opens you will actually see the bottles inside it.

One comment I saw made, and I absolutely agree with, is if this is indicative of the type of 5 man fights we will see in WotLK, great things are coming. This fight feels like a raid boss and is actually challenging even for a well geared group.
Nottebella - 70 - Argent Dawn
Nottebella

Postby Kasavier » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:51 am

Nottebella wrote:One comment I saw made, and I absolutely agree with, is if this is indicative of the type of 5 man fights we will see in WotLK, great things are coming. This fight feels like a raid boss and is actually challenging even for a well geared group.

The (lol frost!) mage I ran this boss with in heroic is a complete strat theory whore. He loves going into new content that you can't just bosskiller a strat on and figuring out what to do and how to beat it. We wiped about five times trying to get this guy down, figuring out what works for us and such, and I swear, he was having the time of his life! It was pretty fun though, and it actually felt like we accomplished something when we finally got him down.

I agree, if this is what we have to look forward to, things are going to be a lot of fun.
Kasavier

Postby duruk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:24 pm

This was just a brilliant fight, great fun, hard, but doable.

We had a couple of wipes before we found out how we should get him down on heroic.

Setup:
Me (pallytank, probably logged out as holy as I'm pvp-ing for my gavel)
Frostmage
Resto shammie
DPS warrior
Lock

I tanked elite add close to where he spawns, but outside ice. DPS warrior offtanks as many adds as possible, and mages switch beween small adds and elite. I told them to focus on elite, but if one off the small adds got close to our healer, they should pick them up and kill them. This worked very well, and I was the only one taking any dmg almost the entire fight (save for when people forgot to move out of spikes).

After first 2 tries everyone was oom at the end of 2nd cycle, so I decided to try different approach. Noone got BoSalv, mana users got BoW, DPS warrior got might. I judged wisdom on both elite add and core, and when we got him down on 3rd try, everyone had 30-50% mana left.

Tactic:
Don't bother with Salvation, there is not too much aggro to worry about, as dps won't go all out on your target. Let them also worry about keeping healer alive. Use wisdom and might, kings if you got it to deal with spike dmg.

Tank elite outside ice. Have one melee dps class deal with most of adds, and ranged take care of those slipping by. They die really fast with a decent group. Kill all adds before focusing on core. Elite should be dead long before boss submergess, and then you can just go to work on smaller adds. When boss submerges, judge wisdom and seal wisdom. You have 30 seconds of swinging to get as much mana back as possible.

With this tactic we got him down on his 3rd dive. Fight was bugged however, and elite adds kept spawning. So we went out and did Underbog instead, 4 easy badges.

Cheers :)
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Have they changed it

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:35 pm

I take it they hot patched the encounter cause the first few times I did it I swear I had 15-19 debuffs on me and you start to take reasonable damage but I notice last night it seems capped at 10.
ldeboer

Postby Discus » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:56 am

Had first try at this last night - warlock, frost mage, priest and random dps.

Problem was whilst tanking the elite add (hailsomething?) I kept getting blasted all over the place.

Is this him or the ice crystals people have mentioned?
Discus

Postby Dianora » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:45 am

Discus wrote:Had first try at this last night - warlock, frost mage, priest and random dps.

Problem was whilst tanking the elite add (hailsomething?) I kept getting blasted all over the place.

Is this him or the ice crystals people have mentioned?

I aim my camera angle on the ground to look for possible spawn point for the ice spike. Move away from them.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:54 am

This is really a "grab 5 people and you can probably do the fight fine" fight. I'm pretty sure you could have 5 DPS, and as long as one of them was wearing mail or plate and another could throw out extra heals you'd be fine. It's mostly just a matter of killing things.

I did it on my priest last night a couple times, only healing I did was Prayer of Mending, Renews, and the occasional circle of healing. Rest of the time I was just spamming Smite.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby ldeboer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 am

Lore wrote:This is really a "grab 5 people and you can probably do the fight fine" fight. I'm pretty sure you could have 5 DPS, and as long as one of them was wearing mail or plate and another could throw out extra heals you'd be fine. It's mostly just a matter of killing things.

I did it on my priest last night a couple times, only healing I did was Prayer of Mending, Renews, and the occasional circle of healing. Rest of the time I was just spamming Smite.

Yeah I shudder with advice like this cause you guys are in massive gear and yeah I recon I could just about grab anyone with my pally and do it.

I tried it with my worse toon in just blues and greens and its a real challenge and its alot harder in heroic than normal yet on my pally I felt they were about the same.

As for any plate DPS tanking it I am very sceptical the debuff when stacked 10 times and the hits from the elite a low HP mitigation tank goes down fairly fast.
ldeboer

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:47 am

I linked my priest's armory in my post. Badge and kara gear mostly. That's about where everyone in the group was.

EDIT: I should clarify that we only did it on normal
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Stricker » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:19 am

We have 2 or 3 wipes before we got it right, but either way, we managed just fine:

Paladin tank
Rogue
Warlock
Druid healer
Priest healer

I was usually starving for mana the entire fight, since the hailstone doesn't do much damage, and the adds aren't really tankable. Besides that, it's pretty much straight forward tank'n'spank. We found that 2 healer really helped a lot, since there was a huge amount of damage overall, and we even lost our druid twice. :P IMO, a warlock seems to be absolutely neccesary, else the adds will spread out too far, making it too difficult to get them down.

This was on heroic. (I recall someone mentioned you can't summon him again if you wipe? That's not true...)
Stricker

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:04 am

If you get bored, try to hit as many of the icicles popping out of the ground as you can. If you're REALLY skilled, you can aim yourself to get punted onto the ledge on the left side.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Nottebella » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:42 am

On non-heroic, you probably could do it with 5 dps, just make sure you burn down the elite first, the debuff will start to add up. I've never wiped on non-heroic except when adds from the instance pulled at a bad time. With 5 dps and a shaman for heroism you could probably kill him in one submerge.

On heroic you can spawn him as many times as you need to, but you can only kill him once (the kill saves you). On non-heroic you can kill him as many times as you want to without resetting the instance, but each summon comes from one character turning in a quest, which they can only do once per day. If you wipe on that summon, that character cannot summon again that day.
Nottebella - 70 - Argent Dawn
Nottebella

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics