Murmur

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Murmur

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Murmur is a towering, slightly Ragnaros-like "Sound Elemental".

He places a debuff called Murmur's Touch on various characters (never on the current aggro-holder?) which causes them to explode in 15 seconds, inflicting area damage and silencing anyone in the blast radius for 5 seconds.

Edit: The first time I tanked Murmur I never got the Touch, so I thought maybe it never happened to the tank...but on my second run he blew me up twice so now I'm thinking it's purely random.

He periodically emotes that he's "Drawing energy from the air..." and begins casting Sonic Boom. Sonic Boom is an explosion which covers the entire depression Murmur stands in, plus a few yards past the rim; it does severe (5000-8000?) damage and applies a 90% movement speed debuff.

If at any time Murmur has no targets in melee range for more than a couple seconds, he begins to cast a debuff called Resonance which starts at 2000 damage and gets rapidly worse.

There are two schools of thought on tanking Murmur: have the tank run out to avoid Sonic Boom, or keep the tank in place (to be sure of preventing Resonance) and heal through the boom.

My personal experience is that with some practice, it's not difficult to avoid the boom and run back in fast enough to prevent Resonance: tank Murmur at the very edge of his (large) hitbox, move out by strafing rather than backing up, and you want to be about ten feet beyond the upper rim of the depressed area when the boom goes off.

Blessing of Freedom is, sadly, ineffective against the Sonic Boom debuff.
Last edited by Arcand on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcand

Postby Shahdi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:38 am

I just eat the boom, since I have faith in the healers I run with. :)
Shahdi

Postby Baelor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:57 pm

You can mitigate a boom by popping DS right before it, then dismissing DS after the boom. Only works once a fight, but saves your healer from healing 9k damage.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Arcand » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:49 pm

Did my second full clear of the Labyrinth last night, and since I pretty much knew my job on Murmur I was able to pick out some details.

Watch your feet when you approach. If your toes are about a foot, maybe a foot and a half away from where Murmur contacts the floor, you're close enough to melee him; stop. Going any closer just puts you deeper inside the Sonic Boom danger zone.

Now, on the run-out I was running straight back (strafing with a quick mouse turn) to just past the end of the first diamond. This seems to be cutting it a little too close; I was never caught by a boom doing this, but I did get Resonated once. I 'flashed' Divine Shield to get rid of it, and that was the only time it happened...next time I'll try stopping a couple feet short of the end of the first diamond and see how that does.

Also, I've started using /s to count the booms, because otherwise I see an old emote in the chat log and immediately 'twitch' backwards out of range. So now the log ends up looking like this:

Murmur draws energy from the air...
[Arcand] says: 1
Murmur draws energy from the air...
[Arcand] says: 2
Arcand

Healing yourself

Postby Illystral » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Usually I just eat the Sonic boom. I'll generally time a heal on myself so it goes off right after the sonic boom to give my healers alittle bigger cushion. The slightest bit of lag, bad timing or luck means your group eats resonnance and frankly that is alot more risky then eating the aoe in my opinion.
Illystral

Re: Healing yourself

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:25 pm

Illystral wrote:The slightest bit of lag, bad timing or luck means your group eats resonnance and frankly that is alot more risky then eating the aoe in my opinion.

Counterpoint: Imagine how much Sonic Boom is going to hurt in heroic mode. Eating it may not be an option. :shock:
Arcand

Re: Healing yourself

Postby Illystral » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Arcand wrote:
Illystral wrote:The slightest bit of lag, bad timing or luck means your group eats resonnance and frankly that is alot more risky then eating the aoe in my opinion.

Counterpoint: Imagine how much Sonic Boom is going to hurt in heroic mode. Eating it may not be an option. :shock:

As far as I know Murmur's sonic boom is a fixed 75-85% of your total health + 12% or so over time.
Illystral

Postby Anatheme » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 pm

I ate Sonic Boom in heroic mode due to not running fast enough... and it did about 4k damages. maybe i was just lucky, but i simply don't think it is ment to be a lethal attack. (I have 10.3k hps unbuff, must have had 12k when tanking him) In heroic mode -apparently- he does the resonance periodically, only it doesnt seem to increase in damages (at least so long as you keep tanking him, didnt tested staying away just for the hell of it)
"Anatheme c'est la reroll de Benediction."
- Yshuta

My armory
Anatheme

Postby Kyroro » Tue May 29, 2007 6:46 am

Murmur has some ability which he casts on people if no one is in range (to prevent exploiting).

Warriors have the charge/intercept ability which will reduce the time where Murmur doesn't have anyone within range of him to almost nothing. With a pally tank, you can't get in range quick enough. During that time he can (and does) cast that ability which is huge damage to your party.

I just eat the boom. It has a huge cast time so what I do is just time a max rank HL to land right after the boom hits. Puts me at about 60% health which is more than enough for healers to top me off. Murmur's attacks shouldn't be taking off more than 5-10% of your health anyways.
Kyroro

Postby Lore » Tue May 29, 2007 7:32 am

I always found I was able to get back in range before he used that ability, once I got a feel for the radius on the explosion. Of course, DS'ing through one later in the fight is a huge boon.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Saladin » Tue May 29, 2007 9:31 am

Sally's three step guide to pwning murmur -

1- DS at the first sonic boom
2- LOH for the second (if its up otherwise heal yourself through it.. he hits like a pansy anyway)

3 - If there is a third boom .. your group is either heavy melee. or shitty ranged dps .. get better dps ( or have a goodhealer jus heal you through it)
Saladin

Postby Lightskin » Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 am

I found if you run into him then consecrate, slowly back up and tank him max range, then walk out of it rather than do a run + jump you won't get hit by it, I tanked him 4 times now and it took 2 times of wiping on him to figure out how to do it.
Lightskin

Postby Lightskin » Wed May 30, 2007 8:47 am

Also, if you do it the method I provided, you will not get the boom and it works flawlessly, no one should be able to keep up with you on aggro if you have holy shield and SoR up.
Lightskin

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics