Level 50 and looking for suggestions...

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Level 50 and looking for suggestions...

Postby Shylo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:43 pm

I have been playing a Prot Pally since about lvl 35. I have not had the some results that others have posted, but have done pretty well and enjoyed myself.

My main issue seems to be mana. I have little to no +Int gear and am assuming that will help once acquired.

If you have a minute take a look at my build and let me know what you think.

I just got Aegis of Stormwind to replace my current shield, but am waiting to have a guildie put a spike on it for me.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Armory Listing

Thanks,
Shylo
Staghelm-US Alliance
Shylo

Postby Nich » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:27 am

When you're low on mana/int, try to balance BoW/SoW/JoW until you're happy with mana used per kill.
Nich

Postby Shylo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks for the reply. I am starting to adjust my use of the Wisdom(s) to help me out.

Shylo
Shylo

Postby rebelyell » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:17 am

My Gear I've tried to get stam/Int gear but most of it is leftovers from my ret days pre 50...

I roll off JoW then SoL.. I find with minimal use of consecrations and a couple of HS when redoubt procs mana and health tend to follow eachother whether recharging or losing points initially.

At lvl 50 you should most certainly be honing your skills at Sorrow Hill in WPL. Its usually a fairly popular place but as you get your seal/judge combo's right you will find other regulars to the area will just leave when you show up. 8) I've spend hundreds of thousands of exp points in Sorrow Hill grinding when I only have an hour or so of game time or I'm just bored of waiting around for instance runs. I'm getting around 30K exp per hour at my higher lvl but back at 50-52 I was getting closer to 50K exp per hour all depends on how busy the area is and how keen the others are to fight you for it... :)

I did a 6 min video last night which I'll try to post a link here for when I can find some hosting space for the 120Mb file. Its got me at lvl 53 killing 15 mobs in that time with no downtime other than to loot the corpses.. its by no means a perfect run through but it shows you how powerful ardent defender can be and if you for get to SoL for a short while its not the end of the world.. :oops: .. will give you an idea of how I've done it and you can see the buttons clicked and process I go through for doing the AoE grind.

I've come from EVE-Online and compiling vids in that game so the crappy youtube vid feeds I see many wow players posting etc just aren't what I'm about.. Mine is just like watching your own screen.. only in 1024x768. :roll:

Anyway if I can get it hosted I'll post a link so you can check it out.

You've got a better shield than me but I'd suggest getting some more int so you don't go oom so quickly. I've seen plenty of people saying you don't get int gear as a prot paly but I've read others and taken it on board which says you should have int gear as well as stam pre-outlands. I've gone as much int and stam as I can find so far.. trying hard not to buy every single item off the AH.

Check out myArmory if your wanting a comparitive player closer to your level. I've found fiery to be a good enchant on your 1h weapon and the current sword I use from ST also has a poison proc too.. so I get 2 procs off the one sword.

Rebelyell
rebelyell

Postby Shylo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:09 am

I just found Sorrow Hill within the last week and I will agree it is nice place to grind. I believe that I am getting the whole sequence down much better, not quite the mana issues as before.

I am definitely interested in seeing the video. Have you thought about putting it someplace like http://mihd.net? They host large files for free. I don't believe they have streaming, but the user could just download the file to watch.

Thanks for your input. If you get the file hosted, please do post a link. At least in this thread

Shylo
Shylo

Postby rebelyell » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:43 pm

Finally got the vid uploaded here was a good site the mihd one. (120Mb)

It gives you an idea on how I do the paly prot stuff for grinding. Its worked well for me so far grinding through to 57 in various area's and following quest lines.

Instances I JoW and SoR while almost constantly Consecrating and HS is up always.. seems to work ok so far up to and including BRD.

Edit: careful of the music.. it has a few profanities in it.. I was struggling for something to add as most ppl tend to get sick of the happy hardcore doof type music.
Last edited by rebelyell on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rebelyell

Postby Shylo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks for posting the vid. I am downloading it now.

Shylo
Shylo

Postby Stumpytheozzie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:30 am

I'm also level 50 and was looking at the possibility of a respec.

I understand the theory behind the 0/49/12, but my question is more on the best spec to get to 70 so i can then respec to 0/49/12.

One of the many many many talent priority questions I have is: Is precision more important to get than anticipation or sacred duty? In turn, is sacred duty more important than anticipation. Then there's also rekoning. Is this more important than the other 3 skills I've mentioned. And then there's every single other talent in the entire 3 trees.

I might be in danger of putting the cat amongst the pigeons here and starting everybody off with why they think X is better than Y, but I'd really appreciate a list of "can't do without" and "optional" and "filler" talents. (I read a post in the basic training thread that kinda sorta answered this question, but missed the mark because it was centred around being level 70)

A more general question is should I shoot for 0/33/10 and then start filling up prot again? Will the extra 5% parry and less mana used be more useful to me than stuff I can buy from Prot?

As I understand it http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aZVhtI00zgTqz would probably be the best build for me at the moment, but I'm a noob and am probably missing something, or have not done my theorycraft properly.
Stumpytheozzie

Postby Ills » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:34 am

While levelling prot, the most important talent to get is Reckoning.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Return to Basic Training & Talents