Remove Advertisements

Threat Build 0/48/12: Sacrificing Shield Spec for Reckoning

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Threat Build 0/48/12: Sacrificing Shield Spec for Reckoning

Postby cordelia » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:47 am

So in typical boss fights, we might run with ~500 BV, Shield Spec increases this to 650 BV. That is 150 extra damage mitigated per hit.

You know what? When taking hits of 8k damage, that's not a big deal. We're always sacrificing mitigation for threat, so why not sacrifice that extra 30% block value for threat?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhxhx0zggqtVbx

1 extra point in this build: kings, 1/3 shield spec, or 1/2 spell warding.
Horrible for AE tanking, but for those boss fights where getting that extra 2-5% threat is needed, this may just do the trick.

Thoughts?
cordelia

Postby Doktah » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:21 am

The build seems solid but you can easily remove 2 points from reckoning and put them in something else. There is really no reason to justify putting 5 points in when you can get nearly the same results with 3/5 reckoning. You can put 3 points in shield spec unless you want kings then you can put 2 in shield spec and 1 in kings. Spell warding is crap!!!
Doktah

Re: Threat Build 0/48/12: Sacrificing Shield Spec for Recko

Postby jere » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:37 am

cordelia wrote:So in typical boss fights, we might run with ~500 BV, Shield Spec increases this to 650 BV. That is 150 extra damage mitigated per hit.

You know what? When taking hits of 8k damage, that's not a big deal. We're always sacrificing mitigation for threat, so why not sacrifice that extra 30% block value for threat?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhxhx0zggqtVbx

1 extra point in this build: kings, 1/3 shield spec, or 1/2 spell warding.
Horrible for AE tanking, but for those boss fights where getting that extra 2-5% threat is needed, this may just do the trick.

Thoughts?

Personally, if you want some reckoning, I would consider doing this:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0zGgqtVox

You get a 3/5 reckoning at the cost of spell warding and 1 sec of judgement.

It might just be me, but I would consider pulling points out of anticipation before I would shield spec.
jere

Postby Aalryn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 am

I'm agreeing with Jere if you want a threat spec. Shield spec is just way too useful to give up. You dont really NEED more than 3/5 reckoning. 5/5 is nice, but dont give up too much for it

edit: or you could check out my build. I have 5/5 reckoning without giving up anything really major.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby cordelia » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 pm

imo, 8 second judgement is just too big a deal for that 1 talent point. It helps immensely, and I miss it immensely when I only spec 1/2.

I don't know... is shield spec really that worth it? Each point is 10% of BV. Like I said with 500 BV, that's 50 BV. When hit by 8000 damage, that's 0.625%. So 3 points in Shield spec is 1.9% less damage per melee hit. That's the equivalent of about 4-500 Armor, slightly better than IDA.

Certainly, on AE pulls, Shield spec is priceless, but for boss tanking? I'm unconvinced. 1 point in Anticipation = 4 Defense = .48% avoidance vs. .625% blocked, which is ~150 armor. It's the old EH vs. avoidance debate, and honestly, I'd go with .48% avoidance over 150 armor most of the time. Obviously, the choice here also depends on your gearing options. I'm just trying to bring up the possibility that Shield Spec isn't the uber-important mitigation talent that we treat it as, and it's worth thinking about sacrificing if you need the talent points.

PS> I'm unconvinced on the "minor difference" between 3/5 reck vs. 5/5 reck as of now. I'd like to see more numbers to back it up.
cordelia

Postby Seloei » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 am

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=5124&highlight=reckoning

Check the graph there for proof. 3/5 is enough to keep it up most of the time.
Seloei

Postby Rustyblade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:25 am

IMO go 4/5

look at the graph, only when you have 16 mobs attacking you does it proc the same time as 10%

When the hell will you EVER have 16 mobs attacking you in an instance?

Hyjal trash only comes in waves of 10-15 and unless your guild wants the other tanks to sit on their ass you wont be tanking all of them(besides a knockdown would prolly toast your ass).

The difference between 6% and 8% is noticeable while 5/5 isn't worth the last point.
Rustyblade

Return to Basic Training & Talents