Remove Advertisements

13/41/7, 18/43/0 and some things I might have missed...

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

13/41/7, 18/43/0 and some things I might have missed...

Postby Atreidies » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Alright, so here's my dilemma... My main role is healing in 25 man raids, that's fine with me I do enjoy healing, but my gear does make up for the lack of mana efficiency from not speccing full Holy, but I do however have to spec at least 13 Holy to pick up Spiritual Focus and Healing Light talents.

Aside from that, I usually tank during most of the trash in SSC, and alot in TK, although I excuse myself from the tank list during any and all bird pulls as I don't enjoy being silenced and mana burned constantly while tanking. I also main tank our one Karazhan group that runs on our offday and regularly run heroics so while I don't have to have a main tank viable spec, I do need a spec that allows me to generate enough threat for times when mobs MUST be CC'ed in SSC and it's not ok to spam consecrate or pull with Avenger's Shield.

I do realize that I am lacking the Deflection talents and I would really love to pick them up, but no spec that I have come up with so far has allowed me to pick those up, but I have geared accordingly and am uncrushable with Holy Shield up assuming I have my Figurine of the Colossus equipped. http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackhand&n=Atreidies is my profile if anyone is curious.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aVxhZV0tIx0dgMqzVb was my previous spec and it served me well. What tempted me to change was the fact that my threat output on mobs where I could not use Avenger's Shield or Consecrate was lacking.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aVEhZV0tIh0dTgqz is my current spec and definitely seems to give me better threat, and rightly so as I gained 5/5 1h Weapon Spec and 5/5 Imp. SoR, although I did lose 1 point in Reckoning and both points in Imp. Judgement.

What I would like to see is if anyone can put math behind the talents and find the best combo between Imp. Judgement/1h Spec/Reck/Imp. SoR while still keeping me 13 Holy so that I can do my job, but better.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bricksauce]Image
Image[/url]
Atreidies

Postby Paksennarion » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:15 am

Out of curiosity, how often do you end up getting knocked around when healing that you'd feel a need to have Spiritual Focus?

I ask because, for most of us, taking it if we can is almost instinctive because it's such a useful talent levelling up. In a raid environment, though, you're going to be at best off/spot healing to supplement your primary healers, so if you start taking damage, it's not as deadly as a priest getting an interrupt, and in fact may be a good thing - maybe that mob beating on you means your primary healers don't get dead. In general, you shouldn't be taking much damage at all, so while it's not *quite* 5 points wasted, you might want to try switching over from SF to Imp SoR, but leave your original spec otherwise unchanged, and see if it gives you a problem.

Additionally, if you don't want to do that, you should come up with another way to manage the extra points. If you're not managing to pick up Deflection, reducing any mitigation talents is a bad idea IMHO. The only other option would be to pull them all out of Reckoning though, which is a bit iffy if you're worried about threat gen. On the other hand, Imp SoR and 1H Weap Spec should more than make up for the loss of the occasional Reckoning proc, so it's really the best spot to pull from.
Paksennarion

Postby Atreidies » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:22 am

Out of curiosity, how often do you end up getting knocked around when healing that you'd feel a need to have Spiritual Focus?

Honestly more than you'd think, on fights like Tidewalker where I tank the murlocs I spam heal myself and actually do quite well on the meters because i'm uninterruptable, but mainly it's incredibly useful on fights like Vashj where I need to be healing in the middle, keeping Devo up for the naga tanks and getting chain lightning and poison bolts left and right when it starts getting hectic in phase 2. I also can't tell you how many times that's saved me while healing one of the tanks on Karathress where I'm the sole healer for them and I take a Cataclysmic Bolt and then a blast from the fire nova totem that's quick to follow.

Additionally, if you don't want to do that, you should come up with another way to manage the extra points. If you're not managing to pick up Deflection, reducing any mitigation talents is a bad idea IMHO. The only other option would be to pull them all out of Reckoning though, which is a bit iffy if you're worried about threat gen. On the other hand, Imp SoR and 1H Weap Spec should more than make up for the loss of the occasional Reckoning proc, so it's really the best spot to pull from.

This was something I had considered, although I would only get 2 points out of Reckoning to redistribute assuming I keep Imp. SoR. Personally I feel I've exhausted most every possibility with the spec, but if I can see some math on the different combinations of threat modifiers from talents and how they work together that would give me much better insight as to how to spec.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bricksauce]Image
Image[/url]
Atreidies

Return to Basic Training & Talents