Is Precision passable?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Is Precision passable?

Postby Chevalier » Tue May 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Looking at other talents (1hspec,imprv ret.aura and vindication) would I be able to get away with not getting precision for monsters through lvl 72? Would I need to pick it up once I start doing Kara? Thanks in advance.
Chevalier

Postby Minn » Sat May 26, 2007 3:37 pm

I passed on Precision and picked up Guardian's Favor instead. Basically, I figured that melee hits are only part of my threat arsenal. Consecrate and JoR/JoV are pretty much independent of my melee hit rate, so, point for point, Precision doesn't stand up to something like the new 1h-spec. It is still a decent talent point investment, especially if you are looking to improve your threat gain, but for me the utility of 3m BoP is more attractive.
Minn

Postby Tybalt » Sat May 26, 2007 9:43 pm

If you use SoV/JoV a lot, precision (and, by extension, weapon expertise) is very important. If you prefer SoR/JoR, precision isn't as important, but still useful.

-Ty
Tybalt

Postby Dorvan » Sun May 27, 2007 12:49 am

As always, the key question is: what would you get instead? and the answer depends on what you're looking to do. I don't consider Precision to be essential, but let's look at the suggested alternatives:

1H Spec -- not an either/or decision, as the most common 0/49/12 build includes both

Imp Ret Aura -- Setting aside the fact that you can't just drop Precision to pick up Imp ret Aura in your standard 0/49/12 build, Imp Ret Aura is a nice talent for AoE grinding and 5 mans, Dev Aura is almost always used over Ret in raids.

Vindication -- Similarly to Imp Ret Aura, Vindication is nice for 5 mans, but the mobs in raids you'd like to use it on are immune to it.

The one thing I see dropping Precision for is Weapon Expertise, pending better data on it's actual effect, an active topic of discussion at the moment.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Garwin » Wed May 30, 2007 1:29 am

Personally I find precision invaluble, my main reason for having it is that paladin gear is already hard to ballence and remain competative with warriors in mitigation & avoidance. if +3% to hit means that I don't have to swap out 1 or 2 of my items then it's done more than just increase my to-hit it's increased my stamina and parry as well, by virtue of not having to swap out something else.
Garwin

Postby Lightskin » Wed May 30, 2007 6:09 am

I don't remember seeing my weapon miss...if it does it's irrelevant to the 5 mans I've been tanking just fine.

I use:
- Seal of Righteousness
- Judgment of Righteousness
- Consecration
- Holy Shield
- Blessing of Sanctuary
Lightskin

Return to Basic Training & Talents