Remove Advertisements

Glyphs, glyphs, glyphs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Glyphs, glyphs, glyphs

Postby Lightvein » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:01 pm

So after a major overhauling of how I was thinking (concerning hit/expertise) since I was reading EJ, I was wondering what glyphs were actually optimal.

Right now I'm running the following:

Prime - Seal of Truth, Word of Glory, Shield of the Righteous

Major - Ascetic Crusader, Holy Wrath, Consecration

My biggest question is whether or not Seal of Truth is still necessary, and what might replace it if not. Separate critiques on the other glyphs are definitely welcome though.

Thanks in advance!
Lightvein

Re: Glyphs, glyphs, glyphs

Postby Vort » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 pm

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I don't rock around with SotR glyph anymore, I found myself switching between insight and truth so often that I was rarely using my holy power for much beyond a few SotR's at the start of the fight.

Prime - WoG, Insight, Truth
Major - Holy Wrath, Dazing Shield, Hammer of Justice

The extra range on Hammer has saved my bacon a couple of times, Cho'gall tentacles just out of range after my AS hits them? HoJ!
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby Lightvein » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Wait, you glyph for both? When are you supposed to be switching between the two?
Lightvein

Postby Vort » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 pm

On the pull of a boss I use truth to gain initial threat, the additional damage and expertise assist in this. When I have sufficient threat (just need vengeance) I swap out to insight since my crusader strike is hitting so godly hard that DPS will never catch me. I switch back when adds spawn or I am offtanking a new mob, a couple of examples are Council during phase changes I need to pick up a new target with 0 threat, I switch to truth for the first portion and then swap back to insight once established. Cho'gall is also a decent example, I switch to truth on the adds because my vengeance will have diminished since the other tank is now on Cho'gall. I switch a lot depending on the fight, and I also find myself reglyphing constantly. I just find that there are quite a few instances where I'm swapping mid fight so it's useful enough for me to have both glyphed, particularly when I need to spam WoG and SoI gives me 5% more on top of the WoG glyph. At full vengeance my SoI is healing me for upwards of 4k.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby Lightvein » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Alright, that's what I was gonna guess :) Thanks for the posts

Any others wanna share how they glyph? Would love some more insight.
Lightvein

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:35 am

This thread should be moved to the talents sub-forum.

I haven't started raiding yet but agree with the OP - I am starting to re-evaluate my prime glyphs due to the importance of heal tanking. I haven't switched from the standard threat primes (HotR, ShotR, SoT) yet, but may shift out SoT into WoG as I don't use the seal much except right at the start of fights. SoI tends to be my default seal but glyph of WoG seems better than glyph of SoI for self-healing.

On the majors, I use Holy Wrath for the stun, Dazing shield to give my CCers more time and to help kiting, and Lay on Hands because it is such an amazing cool down. The majors I used before - ascetic crusader and consecration - seem to have too minor effects to even notice but now I really like my major glyphs.

For the minors, I've switched to the three seal glpyhs due to frequent seal switching I do. Casting one Blessing at the start of an instance does not require a glyph, but sometimes if you are mana-starved and want to switch to SoI in combat, the glyph is a convenience.
econ21

Postby Lightvein » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:31 am

Lay on Hands sounds so situational though. Do you really need 2 of them within 7 minutes that often?
Lightvein

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Lightvein wrote:Lay on Hands sounds so situational though. Do you really need 2 of them within 7 minutes that often?

With 7 minutes, lay on hands is usually up for each boss fight or for each attempt after a wipe. With 10 minutes, I suspect it's more often a case of having it available for alternate attempts. I tend to PUG my random heroic, so sadly it is sometimes needed. But for progression raiding, it seems more powerful than other majors.
econ21

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Lightvein wrote:Lay on Hands sounds so situational though. Do you really need 2 of them within 7 minutes that often?

No, but there's not really any obviously better choice that isn't also either situational or personal playstyle preference (such as dazing shield).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Aerron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 am

Depends on how you use your LoH. 5-man heroic? probably not. 10-man raid? I could do a lot of good things with a 7 min LoH.

On the subject of glyphs, I know we generally ignore Minors, but I'm putting in a plug right here for the Truth and Insight Minors. Having them glyphed has given me a little bit of flexibility in switching between them a bit more often.
Aerron

Postby claisa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 am

when you get to omnitron council you may wish to get a single target shield glyph used, as you want to avoid you damage splashing onto the shield target.

Then again you want it single target for any boss with no adds. I then switch it back for heroics/adds on bosses.
claisa

Postby Nalyn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Lightvein wrote:Prime - Seal of Truth, Word of Glory, Shield of the Righteous

Major - Ascetic Crusader, Holy Wrath, Consecration

For primes, I'm using... Seal of Truth, Word of Glory, and Hammer of the Righeous.

Majors get swapped around a bit, depending on the encounter, but it's usually some combination of Divine protection, Holy Wrath, and Dazing shield. Dazing shield and the DP glyph get removed at times, because their effects aren't always beneficial.
Nalyn

Return to Basic Training & Talents