Remove Advertisements

Grand Crusader vs Seals of the Pure

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Grand Crusader vs Seals of the Pure

Postby Scotty » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:21 pm

This may (or may not) have been discussed ... if it has I couldn't find it. But then again trying to search for GC and SOTP returns a LOT of threads :lol:

I levelled my alts first, so that Bliz could deal with some of the inevitable bugs etc before I started levelling my Pally. Besides ... my guild imploded at the end of Wrath and it's only now started to recover from Christmas.

And so I've just dinged 85 with him and and sat down to set up my spec for the next phase and I came to the realisation that I had rarely got much value out of GC procs.

Now obviously levelling and instancing are two very different things - but I keep wondering if a 12% increase to the damage of my seal isn't going to be worth more than a chance to interrupt more frequently if GC procs when I need an interrupt and it's at the right point in the rotation.

Obviously (having not run any instances on my pally yet) I can't make that call.

Rather than guess ... I'm asking for some discussion on the subject.

*edit* Spelling
Scotty

Re: Grand Crusader vs Seals of the Pure

Postby Bashe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 am

Avenger's Shield does more than interrupt. It also hits for a truck load of damage. It is also great for tagging adds (especially casters), keeping threat on more than 1 mob (when not glyphing focussed shield) and building threat during times when you're not in melee range of the boss.

That having been said; I have both GC and SOTP in my spec.
Bashe

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:13 am

Procs are fun.

I dropped GC for a while, on the grounds that I tend to stick to my rotation and that usually means passing on GC procs (only replacing AW with AS). However, I respecc'd back when I finally weaned myself of HG and have not regretted it. It can help with interrupts. It can help with kiting (if combined with dazing shield). The silence is very nice. I think it is a great boon in heroics, for dailies and for PvP, when play tends to be more fluid and you don't rigidly follow a rotation.

SotP just looks dull and underwhelming - Theckhd's matlab thread provides some numbers on threat.
econ21

Postby Scotty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks Bashe and Econ21 for your thoughts.

I've only seen a GC proc when I'm in my rotation ... at which time I can either use AS instead of HW if that's where I am in my rotation, or ignore it. And most of the time I've had to ignore it.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to go is to spec without it for a few days and then spec with it and see what I think.

Theck's figures (which is why I've been having this agonise over the spec) show SotP to be a DPS increase over GC, and while I acknowledge his comment that a refreshed AS has helped him save a wipe ... I'm afraid that logic rather suggests that a constant DPS increase in every fight is a better option than the random luck of a timely GC proc.

Cheers!
Scotty

Postby Vort » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Scotty wrote:I'm afraid that logic rather suggests that a constant DPS increase in every fight is a better option than the random luck of a timely GC proc.

I somewhat disagree, GC can be a life saver and a free bucketload of burst threat. As you mentioned it has saved a wipe for Theck. It has done the same for my guild on numerous occassions. Considering prot paly dps on bosses is going to be pretty lackluster as soon as stuff starts 3 shotting us and we spam WoG and switch to SoI. Grand Crusader can make up for threat, and can interupt/daze/silence and when it chains back to back you can't be happier. I can't tell you how many times I was able to hurl an extra shield at the Blood on Cho'gall last night, dazing 3 of them at once to let our ranged dps get more time on them. Took us 3 hours to get him down but I'm not speccing out of GC unless they change it.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Return to Basic Training & Talents