Aerillia Full Tank Spec (7 points not spent)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Aerillia Full Tank Spec (7 points not spent)

Postby Aerillia » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:38 am

Aerillia Tank: http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/#character-talents.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Aerillia

There is a link to my current spec...

However I do not know where to put my last 7 points and I need some input =D

Cheers!
Aerillia - 70 - Darkspear
Aerillia

Postby Glyhelm » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:01 am

Very solid spec as it is.

I personally would put 2 points in Stoicism, 2 in Guardian's Favor, and then the last three in either Improved Hammer of Justice or Vindication or Improved Seal of the Crusader.

Stoicism so you have a better chance to avoid being stunned and having mobs switch targets to party other party members.

Guardian's Favor so you have a longer Blessing of Protection. BoP can be used as a second, and longer, taunt. Or even a kind of "priest's shield." If you've ever had a crazy dps rouge pulling aggro, you'll learn you can somewhat sadistically use it not only to "save" him when he has aggro, but prevent him from gaining any more aggro until he realizes what's happened and clicks it off. :-D

Improved Hammer of Justice is a great spell interrupt/anti-runner. However, you'll find the large majority of mobs in raids, and almost every single boss is immune to this. Still worthwhile for tanking most 5-mans though.

Vindication is a nice little extra. Remember, it DOES improve your damage mitigation by reducing the amount of physical damage you take. If the mob isn't immune.

Improved Seal of the Crusader is probably my last choice for two reasons. It does help you sustain aggro by judging it at the beginning of a fight and upping your holy damage. However, if you have one, a ret pally is better used to judge this, because of the Sanctified Crusader talent deep in the ret tree. Also, I find that starting a boss fight by judging Light or Wisdom is usually much more beneficial. Then string seal-judge Righteousness or Vengeance, to your taste.
Glyhelm

Postby Arcand » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:15 am

Guardian's Favor 2/2 and One-Handed Specialization 5/5.

I could see taking Stoicism and cutting 1HSpec down to 3/5, but I just can't get excited about Vindication. Generalizing, trash don't hit hard enough for it to matter, and bosses all seem to be immune. :(

(If I'm wrong about the boss immunity, I'd LOVE to hear about it. I'd dump some Devotion Aura points in a second and switch back to Vindication...)
Arcand

Postby Glyhelm » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:29 am

I agree that Vindication has very limited use. (I personally chose Imp. Hammer of Justice, and I'm happy with it. But that's also partially because I use it every time the cooldown's up when I'm soloing)

However, I think that One-Handed Specialization is much less useful. It's five points for a 10% increase in physical damage. Step back for a second and ask yourself what the best weapon for a tankadin is.

In a raid tanking situation both +spell damage and damage mitigation/avoidance stats are both very important. Our aggro generation is held by holy damage, not white damage.

You'll find that you have to balance superior damage mitigation stats and +spell damage in your gear to both be a durable tank and hold excellent aggro.

Now, for example, compare chestpieces to weapons. A completely awesome epic weapon with pure mitigation stats will have, generally, much inferior stats than a comparable chestpiece will.
(Vindicator's Hauberk39 stam, +46 def vs. Honor's Call12 stam, +16 def)

A completely awesome epic weapon with pure +spell damage will have far, far more +spell damage than a comparable plate chest.
(Gilded Crimson Chestplate +42 vs. Gavel of Unearthed Secrets +150)
*note: The Gilded Crimson Chestplate is a low level blue, so this isn't really fair. But it does have the HIGHEST +spell damage of any plate chest in the game

In my opinion, the best way to balance these hybrid stats is to get the best mitigation you possibly can on armor, and get a +150 spell damage weapon with a +40 spell damage enchant. However, this leaves you with a weapon DPS of about 41. Making 10% melee damage increase only 4 DPS.
Last edited by Glyhelm on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glyhelm

Postby Dreamcrusher » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:02 pm

AFAIK, 1h Spec increases Seal damage as well, which is the prime reason I and many others have taken it.

Also AFAIK, the 10% increase is factored in after spelldmg, which is why 1h Spec scales and Imp. SoR doesn't.

Again, this is just hearsay... but every serious tank has it.
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby Glyhelm » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:35 pm

I have a theory that it doesn't increase ALL seal damage. Only the damage of seals that are based on weapon damage.

Guess a re-spec is in order to test this out for sure. Unless anyone else has info for sure.

...and please don't start the "serious" tank game here. I've never used a cookie-cutter spec. That doesn't make me non-serious, and it doesn't mean I don't do my research. Hopefully we can all learn something from each other here.
Glyhelm

Postby Aergis » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Yeah, 1H spec does scale after spelldamage, imp sor does not. So, say your SoR was to hit for 200 base, imp sor would make that 220 then add on your 200 spelldamage to make it 360 ish. 1H spec however would wait until after you apply your spelldamage, making that 350 or so? 1H spec would then make it a total of 385.

It's been tested, but I don't have the solid numbers. One day I may play with it and take notes, but haven't yet. Although, with one spec i didn't take it. When I switched back and grabbed it again, it was a noticable difference.
Last edited by Aergis on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Aergis » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Guess a re-spec is in order to test this out for sure. Unless anyone else has info for sure.

While you're at it, grab weapon expertise to test. If you have a good damage mod, track your hit%. There's been some debate and contradictary blue posts that suggest rogues weapon skill apply to hit as well as crit. If this is true, it could make a big difference for getting SoV to stick more reliably, which if was true I'd use over SoR...
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Aerillia » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:07 am

Ok for now Im gonna go with Stoic and Imp 1h then.

Since Ill have 15% to resist stun ... and as I found in heroic ramparts you cant dodge block parry ( maybe be missed) when stunned =/

And Ill see how i like 1h imp...the other pally tank in my guild likes it.

Edit: I guess we play a game where we try to allow us to gimp as much spell damage gear for warrior gear as we can =P
Aerillia - 70 - Darkspear
Aerillia

Return to Basic Training & Talents