Help with build

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Help with build

Postby Beth0r » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 am

I just picked up my paladin after a long rest a few weeks ago and I just hit 72.
however I am still having a problem trying to find a build.
this is what I was planning on at 80
http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xm ... 0000000000

I have tanked quite a bit from 60 to now and havent had a hard time keeping ago.

however any advice would be great

I dont want to be a good tank I want to be a great tank.

Thank you in Advanced
Beth0r

Re: Help with build

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:41 am

I'll just point you to the Talent Spec Guide one post above yours. Once you've read that and made the appropriate adjustments, we'll go from there.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby greatcow95 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm

This is what I see from the armory spec. Now I'm not the authoritative source for everything Tankadin, but here's what I don't like:

1. Dump Benediction like it's moldy tomatoes with flies coming out from it after a homeless person threw up in it. The most you should have is 1 point in it and that's just because you have to spend one point to get to the next tier of the Ret tree. Take those 5 points into Deflection instead.

2. Dump Reckoning like it's even MOLDIER tomatoes with flies...well you get the idea.

3. There are little 1 talent wonders you just didn't take and that worries me.

For level 72, I'd probably hit up a Seal of Command kind of build. It took me a while to figure out what one point would best be served by throwing it into SoC, though. After a lot of thinking, I took the point from Redoubt, but I'm probably wrong and need to be corrected. Try this spec for your current level. This will give you sufficient threat through Seal of Cleave and will anger your DPS because you're outdoing them every time they ask for Recount. It just pisses them all off when that happens.

During the time you're levelling, the absolute first thing you should do is put that point back into Reckoning at 73. Personally, I didn't take SoC until 73 and I kept a Retribution spec on the front burner until I was able to fill the Protection tree and take SoC. Then I did the dungeon grind, which was absolute fun except for the fact that I kept getting Old Kingdom (which made me cry every time I got it). Again, Seal of Cleave made up for any kind of DPS issues for some odd reason. This is the build I settled on when I hit 80 (Crusade build) with the 1 point in Benediction simply because I never bless anyone with Might and had nowhere else to really spend the point that would give anything useful.

Now for the honest part. Your spec and gear will only be good until the moment you hit level 80. After that, people will actually abandon your group because you're a "new 80 tank." I learned about this the hard way and don't want you to fall into the same trap I did. So either save up tokens or tons of cash to get some great +defense gear because I'm warning you now--it ain't pretty at 80.
WoW is not Facebook or Myspace. Protest RealID by putting this everywhere.
greatcow95

Postby Beth0r » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Thank you for the help GreatCow

The build I was using was based off some research, and my brother in laws help.
He is a very good PVP Ret Pally but to be honest I don’t think he ever tanked.

However after a lot of reading and looking at your post I changed my spec to be cookie cutter.

I’m sure the spec will work great I just had hoped to be a little different.
This Monday I will be home all day so it will give me some play time to try the spec out.

I hope that 80 will go smooth and my other brother has already offered to tank with this DK while I dps in groups so I can get the tank gear that drops. After a few runs I hope to have the gear I need so I can try tanking.

Thank you for taking the time explaining the talents to me.
Beth0r

Return to Basic Training & Talents