Spec while leveling

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Spec while leveling

Postby Zitt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 am

Hi all, in response to the below quote, thought I'd make this for those of us that are under 80 and wondering about the different thoughts on talents while leveling. Links are below to help understand the flavor of the intended discussion. All opinions are welcome, even those that suggest going back to Ret until level XX and then going Prot.

Here is my build and the question I had was about the 7 points in Ret, keeping them or putting them in Prot and getting them back later.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... ank&n=Zitt

Admins, if there is already a thread on this, my apologies.

theckhd wrote:
Zitt wrote:Tried asking this one the WoW forums got no responses, should I respecc and take the 7 points I have in Ret and fill out my Prot tree before any in Ret? I have the judgements and dodge talents in Ret. Seems to me I would want to keep them even at this low level.

Oh, btw...level 42, oops dinged last night in maraudon, 43.

This is probably worth posting a new thread about, as this guide is focused on lvl 80 spec choices. I'm not sure how useful my advice will be, since I leveled 1-60 as ret (back when combat was "seal, judge, seal, auto-attack for 8 seconds, judge, seal, auto-attack for 8 seconds"), 60-70 as Holy (yes, Holy), and only went 70-80 as prot.

If i were speccing to tank at 42, I'd probably go with something like this:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xA0uGGo

Getting to Improved Judgement in Ret would be nice, since it lowers the cooldown on one of your only proactive threat abilities. But it cuts you out of tiers 6 and 7 of prot, which is where you really start getting to the meaty stuff. By taking Imp. Judg. at that level, you lose out on:
Sacred Duty (more stam - better survivability)
One Handed Weapon Spec (excellent threat talent - better threat)
Holy Shield (passive threat and more blocking - survivability and threat)
Spiritual Attunement (mana regen to let you keep casting Consecrate - better threat)
Ardent Defender (1up and damage reduction - better survivability)

I'm not sure how mana regen is at the low levels where you only have BoSanc - if you're going OOM tanking then pick up Spiritual Attunement, if not you could shift them into Ardent Defender for the 1up.

Again, not sure whether this is good advice, since I've never tried it myself.
Zitt

Re: Spec while leveling

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 am

I am leveling a baby tanking paladin and settled on this for a tanking build (using your current level). Mana isn't a huge issue and with Seal of Command you can snag the glyph for it for the mana return. At 60 I'll swap over to a full prot spec so I can snag Hammer of the Righteous.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:12 am

Flex wrote:I am leveling a baby tanking paladin and settled on this for a tanking build (using your current level). Mana isn't a huge issue and with Seal of Command you can snag the glyph for it for the mana return. At 60 I'll swap over to a full prot spec so I can snag Hammer of the Righteous.

Yeah, that's probably better advice, since you'll be doing a lot of AoE tanking.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:20 am

theckhd wrote:Yeah, that's probably better advice, since you'll be doing a lot of AoE tanking.

#1 Damage done in all my runs!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 am

If you're questing, I'd honestly suggest Ret up until you can get Holy Shield, if not much of the way. Pursuit of Justice, Replenishment, instant self-heals, all are very nice. With Heirloom gear, things will potentially die fairly fast, as your weapon is always upgraded.

If you do want to go Prot, I suggest waiting until you can get Holy Shield. Before that, you don't have a whole lot of reactive abilities you can use. I still find ret's more compelling at lower levels, though.

In Outland and Northrend, AOE tanking birds or chain-tanking instances with the new LFG tool is more viable, in which case, go prot. ;) I found Prot handier in Northrend, too, as in tanking gear I was much less likely to die than as ret. However, ret is still Very Fast at killing single targets. My experience on my DK was that leveling quest rewards, even if glass-cannon-ish, are still very viable. You can get to 80 in greens + heirloom weapon/shoulders/chest very easily now.

edit: even if you want to tank, SoCommand's cleaving action, the mana return, and ret tree's improved ret aura should add up nicely in terms of damage done. It won't do as well for reducing damage taken, but on the other hand you can get lots of mana and free FoL's.

You suggested http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xA0bZxf0zb
With the same level, you can get:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZZxfMtrIzod
Which gives you Repentance (handy for bad pulls), Art of War, Eye for an Eye (Divine Purpose might be better, honestly), and are three levels away from getting full replenishment effects. I believe that instant healing lets you get a bit more versatile, and you have a 1 minute duration crowd control. You won't be able to pull as much as if you were prot, but you can likely still mow through smaller groups faster.

When questing, most mobs come in pairs or groups of three ... you can't often pull large groups. Whichever route you take, I certianly recommend getting SoCommand.
Kelaan

Postby honorshammer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:47 am

I've got an extensive guide to Tanking as Paladin as you level up going up on the blog on Monday. Spec, Rotation, Gear and Instances are covered in detail.
honorshammer

Postby Zitt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Looking forward to seeing this.

honorshammer wrote:I've got an extensive guide to Tanking as Paladin as you level up going up on the blog on Monday. Spec, Rotation, Gear and Instances are covered in detail.
Zitt

Return to Basic Training & Talents