Seal of command

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Seal of command

Postby blakk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:14 pm

srpnt wrote:Are you sure on that?

I have two weapons with nearly identical dps - the two ilvl 251 axes from ICC. One has a swing speed of 1.5 and the other has a swing speed of 2.6. I'm currently running SoComm with the 1.5s for trash and SoV/2.6s for bosses.

The reasoning was that since the SoComm text indicates that it does a flat amount of damage. If that's the case and it goes off each hit, more hits equals more damage.

Is there something I'm unaware of that makes the seal scale better with slower weapons? I'd be glad to hear that my best option is to use the 2.6 exclusively when building threat, it's one less thing to micromanage.

The tooltip only shows what you do with your current gear. If you swap things it changes as well.
blakk

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 am

Idon't even know how accurate that tooltip is, but SoComm hurts a base percentage of your weapon damage. Using two weapons of same dps but different speeds, it'd deal the same damage on average...if it wasn't for some of our abilities that also proc SoComm regardless of weapon speed. THIS is the reason slower weapons are preferred on almost every freaking melee dps class.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 am

Morlin wrote:SoC is already crap for Ret, why would any Prot Pally worth his salt take it? :?:

my 5k trash dps as ret in heroics disagrees with you - SoCleave is almost always my top ability on trash.

Kuma wrote:I am personally really happy about the change to SHIELD OF RIGHTEOUS CLEAVING. Had a blast in ICC the other night pulling 5-6k DPS on trash and upsetting a few of my DPSers. Hell, I was upsetting our DK tank! Feels good to be "THE AOE TANK" once again. :mrgreen:

It is very fun indeed :P

On the second pull in 10-man with the 6 mobs that stand in the center of the room... in the first 30-40seconds I usually put out like 7-8k dps with wings :)

Araiken wrote:So I just made my second spec reck/Soc with the hammer glyph...I was just wondering what the ideal weapon for this set up be? 2.6 speed or a 1.6

I am currently using Bloodvenom Blade i264 - 2.6s sword) enchanted with berzerking... works very well for me.. the slower the weapon the higher SoV seal damage for the bosses... not sure about trash with SoCleave.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Daereg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:13 am

I've never had to use it since I can't see there being many mobs that die in 12 seconds in ICC.
Anyone tried it on the Valiritha Dreamwalker fight? Have to solo-tank that in 10man Heroic mode tomorrow, the adds were okay last week, but I was mainly relying on SoTR and HoTR for my burst threat, not my melees/stacking SoV. It worked, but I wasn't as far ahead on initial threat as I'd have liked to be.

The reason I've never really seen the use in SoC is for tanks at least, you can get 5 stacks of vengeance up in no time at all compared to retardins.
Daereg

Postby Zobel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 am

Daereg wrote:I've never had to use it since I can't see there being many mobs that die in 12 seconds in ICC.
Anyone tried it on the Valiritha Dreamwalker fight? Have to solo-tank that in 10man Heroic mode tomorrow, the adds were okay last week, but I was mainly relying on SoTR and HoTR for my burst threat, not my melees/stacking SoV. It worked, but I wasn't as far ahead on initial threat as I'd have liked to be.

The reason I've never really seen the use in SoC is for tanks at least, you can get 5 stacks of vengeance up in no time at all compared to retardins.

Reconsider. It's overpowered for packs of 3+ mobs.
Zobel

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:38 am

Daereg wrote:I've never had to use it since I can't see there being many mobs that die in 12 seconds in ICC.

It's extremely good in quite a few places in ICC:
  1. Trash packs
    • Every trash pull in the first wing
    • Valkyr trash (if the raid groups up on you, you can solo-tank all the spawns and the valkyr)
    • A good chunk of the trash pulls in plague wing
    • All of the trash pulls in Crimson Halls
    • Both gauntlet events in the Frostwyrm Halls
    • Trash pulls right before Sindragosa
  2. Deathwhisper phase 1, depending on what and how many mobs you're tanking
  3. Gunship (tanking the portal spawns)
  4. Dreamwalker tanking (especially the abom worms)
  5. Lich King phase 1

And of course, pulling 6k dps in heroics is fun too. And can considerably speed up your daily heroic clears.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Wrathy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Daereg wrote:Anyone tried it on the Valiritha Dreamwalker fight? Have to solo-tank that in 10man Heroic mode tomorrow, the adds were okay last week, but I was mainly relying on SoTR and HoTR for my burst threat, not my melees/stacking SoV.

We use two paladin tanks in this encounter and we both use SoComm. I cant imagine doing it any other way because the add control is spot on and we never have issues with the worms. It proves to be very beneifical on the snap threat of those when combined with consecrate and HS.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Its pretty amazing on the gunship fight (yeah I know, free loot anyway) sometimes the adds can get snagged by a healer or an overzealous dps that just HAD to aoe as soon as 1 mob popped out, just target one mob, go through normal 969 and the cleave hits the adds as they drop in,
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Noradin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:26 am

Did anyone mention that SoC has a very high vindication proc chance?
With SoC you get a vindication uptime on 4 mobs similar to the uptime you get on one mob with SoV.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Aedh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:47 am

Noradin wrote:Did anyone mention that SoC has a very high vindication proc chance?
With SoC you get a vindication uptime on 4 mobs similar to the uptime you get on one mob with SoV.

You sure you don't mean 3 mobs?
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Postby Noradin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 am

Aedh wrote:
Noradin wrote:Did anyone mention that SoC has a very high vindication proc chance?

You sure you don't mean 3 mobs?

Yes.
Splash damage from SoC and SoC procs on HotR seem to have a more reliable vindication uptime than the whole single target rotation with SoV has on the main target.
And yes, I did get this conclusion from test I ran a while back (when SoC was first changed to be exact), but I don't have the data anymore, just go try it for yourself. Training dummies in Darnassus are close enough together, if you don't want to test it in a raid.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Lionnis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 am

I've created a 2nd prot spec based around SoC and pulling as much DPS/TPS as possible, just to do some testing. In this gear/spec combo i'm pulling 12k DPS and higher on most trash packs, it's a load of fun watching the numbers fly :), I can also see this spec being helpful on hardmode deathwhisper, as well as VD hardmode. I've used it on HM Gunship and it makes solo tanking the adds just trivial. I'm using Last Word(264) as my main weapon in this set, combined with being hit capped / exp soft capped. I'm then putting 2 piece T9 and 2 piece T10 and weaving in DPS gear where the values are higher. My highest so far i think was around 15k on all the damned packs at the start. Like i said a lot of fun!
Last edited by Lionnis on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lionnis
Maintankadonor

Postby Aranbenjo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:47 am

it's not unusual for my guild tank corp to be in the 1st ten dps at every trash.
it's interesting enough we are all three paladins (we are a small guild trying for 25 from time to time and no other tanks in the roster) having the same spec with socom and pushing over 6k.

The other interesting fact is that i usually a dominate the dps chart for heroics, specially the IC ones using socom on trash.
The savior of the broken,the beaten and the damned

Aranbenjo.Thunderhorn.EU
Aranbenjo

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents