Pally tank mitagation

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Pally tank mitagation

Postby sihlis » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:17 pm

My guild is currently doing toc10 and togc10, I'm a tank for both but our healers are saying that i take too much spike damage on anub. I was just wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know if I'm gemming&enchanting wrong or anything really. Looking forward to your advice.

My armory link
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Sihlis
sihlis

Re: Pally tank mitagation

Postby Koatanga » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Your gear looks fine, though your health is a bit low. One of your rings has no armour, but that's a small amount of mitigation (which adds up if you ignore a few small amounts).

The run speed enchant on your boots doesn't stack with PoJ, so you might as well use the full stamina enchant.

Skinning as your only profession is a crime against nature. Yes, you can mow down entire herds and skin them, but the +crit profession bonus does you very little good as a tank.

As for your other profession, anything you put in that slot will benefit you. If this is a farm toon, even mining gives you a stam boost. If not, get some professions that give you bonus for your main job, which is tanking.

Ironically, you seem to give up a few threat talents in your spec - was that in response to your healers? 5% more healing done to you looks like win, but see the maths on this site - it's really just more overheal. Those points can't be used for more mitigation, so it's sort of irrelevant to the topic at hand.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby sihlis » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:52 pm

so besides the professions everything else looks alright?
ive just been told that i need more mitagation but 26% dodge and 21% parry doesnt seem all that bad compared to other tanks.
sihlis

Postby Hafiz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:20 pm

If spike damage is your issue, I'm guessing you are tanking Anub'arak himself, and not his adds.
What they are noticing is the 'Frozen Slash' spell, which removes all forms of avoidance, leaving you with just your armour and health for a few seconds. Unfortunately the best counter to this issue is to stack Effective Health [EH] in particular for this fight. If you have brewfest trinkets those are excellent for this purpose.

As Koat mentioned professions are a great way to improve your EH. Jewelcrafting is a must for tanking, and fairly cheap to level up usually. You can take mining with it, it adds a further 60 stamina.

Just remember, EH isn't the answer to everything, but it is an important aspect of tanking. Good luck with your progression in ToC :)
Hafiz

Postby sihlis » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:37 pm

alright thanks alot.
Any more advice about my spec or gemming, anyone can provide would be great.
sihlis

Postby Epimer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:17 am

Enchants: replace the Titanium Plating on your shield with 18 stamina (if you're pushing your EH higher), replace 16 def on your cloak with agility or 225 armour, and replace 10 stats on your chest with 275 health. Also consider replacing Armsman with an agility or Stamina enchant (Heavy Borean Armor kit); if you don't have threat issues then 2% threat is doing nothing for you, and if you do have threat issues you should move 5 points from Divinity into 2/2 PoJ, 1/5 Conviction and 3/3 Crusade.

I'd also consider replacing Eitrigg's Oath with either another stamina trinket (Brewfest, Heart of Iron, The General's Heart, Satrina's Impeding Scarab if you can get it to drop) or, if you like a dodge trinket with an EH on use effect, Furnace Stone from Ignis10 is pretty accessible.
Epimer

Postby hoho » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:38 am

Your gear is good enough. My pala has roughly the same armor, slightly lower avoidance and ~4k higher HP pool and I've yet to hear anyone talking about "big spike damage" on totc25/totgc10/Algalon10. Yes, I have significantly higher HP but I should be taking just as much damage as you. I bet the reason why your healers say you are spiky is that individual hits take off higher percentage of your HP than on some other tank with higher HP.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:11 am

sihlis wrote:My guild is currently doing toc10 and togc10, I'm a tank for both but our healers are saying that i take too much spike damage on anub. I was just wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know if I'm gemming&enchanting wrong or anything really. Looking forward to your advice.

My armory link
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Sihlis

Anub'arak is like gormok. As said, freezing slash really kills your avoidance so you can't really rely on it.

There are many changes you can make in your gear, though few are on the survivability side.
1) Weapon enchant. You have none. Agility is a reasonable one, as is mongoose/bladeward/blooddraining
2) Glove enchant. You haven't picked many powerful threat talents. If threat is really an issue, these are better options than Armsman.
3) Spiritual Attunement: Even a naxx boss against your gear will keep your mana up at 1/2, so the second point is of little to no use for you.
4) If you want to survive more against stuff like mr Anub, there are a few alternatives: Armor / stamina trinkets instead of Eitrigg, Armor/Agility enchant to cloak.

5 and biggest one) No Professions is a crime against nature. Mining, Enchanting, Engineering, Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing all offer great boosts to your EH. BS/JC is said to be the best. My personal choice is enchanting/engineering, for I get two +30 stam ring enchants, 885 armor to gloves, a belt tinker(frag bombs are fun), and alternative agi enchant to cloak(with parachutes!), and if i'm really desperate for stamina, an alternative helmet enchant.
Two "stam" professions together will give you +120 stamina, +123 if one of them is JC.

(Not even the dpsers like skinning's bonus)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Freezing Slash is meant for you to take spike damage. Tell your healers to suck it up.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby sihlis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:04 am

yea ive already started leveling BS/JC.

Also my trinkets, ive been trying to get some better stam ones but they rarely drop for me but once they do theyre all mine. Threat isnt a big issuse for me so i will change my glove enchant and ive updated my spec a lil bit and im pretty sure its good.

The reason for this thread was just to make sure i didnt have crappy dodge/parry/block ratings. I will continue to improve my stam as much as possible as well as my armor.

Thank you all for your input. :mrgreen:
sihlis

Postby Koatanga » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:06 am

Most likely they think low mitigation because you probably circle the drain more than other tanks due to the health pool. The same hit from the boss takes a greater % of your health than it would for someone else.

Also, dodge/parry are not mitigation - that's avoidance. Mitigation is the lowering of damage that actually hits you, like block value and armour. If you think you need more mitigation, those are the things you want to look at. However, unless you are on Anub's adds, just go health.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Return to Basic Training & Talents