Major Glyphs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Major Glyphs

Postby Florisia » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:38 am

I tend to carry 5 glyphs of 3 different types around with me at any given time.

Holy Wrath: Because you never know when you'll need to stun tons of undead things all at once.

I find this very useful for controlling/interrupting those pesky Infernals in Jar's fight, since it operates like a 15 second cooldown AOE stun(And therefore a bootleg interrupt) for their fel infernos, and it's also good for smacking around Anub's Adds when they get out of line. It's also fun for Culling of Stratholme and Vanilla wow Stratholme when I'm bored.

HoTR: When 3 just isn't enough.
I can't really say much about it. I normally don't have a problem holding 4+ things, but it'll definitely help if you're trying to. You can probably accomplish the same job just by tossing an additional attack at your 4th, but I have it for fights where I'm tanking adds that might not necessarily need to be AOE stunned or interrupted.

RD: When a taunt is a matter of life and wipe.

Any tank swap fight where the tank just straight dies without one, and works surprisingly well on Faction Champs 10 and 25. Edit: Norm

I find myself always running with Divine Plea and SoV glyphs, though. So I only fill in the third slot with one of these, and I feel they're kinda situational.
Florisia

Postby Darkler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:02 am

Me myself has been running with

1 Divine Plea
2 Seal of Vengeance
3 Righteous Defense

since the DP glyph got discovered on the server (paid a stunning 120g the first day, ouch!)

But this weekend I changed the RD glyph against the Avenger Shield glyph, to try it out.

The reason was not only I wanted a change in my glyph book, but I also wanted to add a little bit of difficulty in the tanking rotation, for a little more threat. The second reason was I wanted to test it in pvp, to see if it had some difference there. Also I wanted to see if the utility change and the 8% "increased" miss in taunts were as bad as they could be..

The utility loss is nothing, when tanking the big bad raid boss. But heroics got worse. It WAS nice to be able to silence 3 adds, and get threat on them, in one move. But then again its only heroics and no one dies from a small overaggro :) When picking up new adds the AS glyph is very nice though as the threat is very high for one ranged move.

In pvp it helped making it a little funnier when running prot. Having 8k crits which silence and dazes is very nice :)

The threat on bosses went up a little, but not very noticeable, just as I thought it would be. The best thing though is the added threat in start of fights. I usually start with an Exorcism, followed up with mashing Hand of Reckoning, and a Shield afterwards, dealing around 10k damage - well enough to let the dps do what ever they want. (they do damage all 3 spells, wierdly enough, but aparently the HoR taunt goes quicker than the just cast Exorcism..)

The taunt issue is nothing Ive noticed so far, but that might come when I start noticing more and more missed.

Anyhow, just my two cents of glyph thoughts. I still see Divine Plea glyph as the most important glyph out there :) I'll see if I keep the new glyph or change back, but for the moment I like the change as it is.
Darkler

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:35 am

My personal take on the glyph of AS is that it's dubious on both ways: We may not really need the triple hits where they are used most...but we also won't really benefit from it's extra damage where it can be most useful.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:22 am

Snake-Aes wrote:My personal take on the glyph of AS is that it's dubious on both ways: We may not really need the triple hits where they are used most...but we also won't really benefit from it's extra damage where it can be most useful.

It's situationally amazing. It's a glyph, easily equipped and unequipped, think of it like any other consumable, and carry a stack of each of the ones you use.

Some places it's great: Heroic Anub, add tanking. I generally pick up both my adds myself, the first one with Exo/HoR, the second with RD/AS(Glyphed). AS isn't ever going to hit more than one mob there, and if it does, it can cause problems (with our strat, anyway). When I've solotanked, I still pick up one side of adds by myself, simplifying everyone elses jobs.

Beasts. Especially Icehowl, but also Worms, situationally. You will use it, and it doesn't need to hit multiple targets.

Jaraxxus add tanking. It's a nice pickup tool, and you're rarely going to have mobs close enough at time of pickup to need a 3-bounce ranged threat move.

Or, from older content: Hodir. Pickup threat is important, he doesn't attack during flash freeze.

Freya: With our strat, I tank Freya, and Stormlasher. Snaplasher gets kited. If AS bounces to Snaplasher, which then sits in consecrate/gets HotR'd, it causes issues. Best to only hit one target. Side benefit is that I generally pick up, snap-threat, and position the conservator for the other tank, because our DPS is triggerhappy.

Vezax - Animus Tank: Snap threat is critical.

Yogg1/0: Snap threat on immortals... good. Bounces not key.

Etc.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:43 am

That's the very situation where the extra damage hardly matters. unless they spawn right on top of the ice you'll kill them at, you don't have to worry with dps threat, only healer threat, until they are where they should, making the extra damage unnecessary.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:23 am

Snake-Aes wrote:That's the very situation where the extra damage hardly matters. unless they spawn right on top of the ice you'll kill them at, you don't have to worry with dps threat, only healer threat, until they are where they should, making the extra damage unnecessary.

Actually, the reason I switched to the glyph for this fight is that healers were overaggroing if I hit RD/AS too early. The glyph removes that particular failure mode completely.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Uhh, how is hitting AS early going to make the healers aggro? AS is a specific amount of threat no matter when you use it.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Uhh, how is hitting AS early going to make the healers aggro? AS is a specific amount of threat no matter when you use it.

I think that, in single target mode, it frontloads twice the intitial threat if you're only hitting a single target anyway.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:06 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Uhh, how is hitting AS early going to make the healers aggro? AS is a specific amount of threat no matter when you use it.

Because if I hit it early, then the add takes a long time to get into position and the healers have well over the ~10k threat that an unglyphed AS pulls... but they don't generally have more than the ~20k that glyphed AS gives me.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:16 pm

I see. I haven't had this happen to me so i'll attribute it to a difference in methods.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:I see. I haven't had this happen to me so i'll attribute it to a difference in methods.

Nor I. I usually pull with HoR and then an *immediate* AS. It gives the target a few moments to close with me. And there is the HoR's focused attention effect as it is a taunt...

Most bosses aren't affected by the AS's daze effect anyway - and many mobs seem immunte these days too - so they certainly don't slow down in their approach velocity! Adds, well, I knew there was there's a reason I use the HoR to bring them in.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Macktruck » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 am

I personally solo tank all 4 anub adds, and I honestly don't have a problem with threat w/o the HotR glyph or w/o SoCommand. Is it possibly a lil more difficult? Probably, but it's doable. Facing the boss, we tank him on the right side close to the northeast spawn point.

When adds come out, I AS the northeast, HoR the southeast. Southwest is MD'ed to me, and I just sit on the ice for the northwest one and judge that. When they all get to me, I use Holy Wrath while I get in position and for threat.

As far as SoV goes, one thing to note is that there is basically ZERO expertise in ICC. You get leggs with Def Dodge Exp and an off-set piece with the same stats. As far as datamined loot goes, that's your only source of expertise from IC. You're gonna need SoV glyph. If you keep H Hauberk from NRB, then that'll do you good as well for an off-tier piece, but there's also a bonus armor chest, and then tier chest is just def dodge parry.
Macktruck

Postby Darthmullet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Also consider using Glyph of Salvation, at least in progression runs.
Some people count it off at once because what tank would ever use Hand of Salvation on themselves? But it takes off 20% of your damage while up. This is basically another, albeit weaker, shield wall. In a tight situation it's possible to cope with the threat loss, and the reduced damage helps a lot.

I have not checked into seeing if the reduction lasts even if you take salvation off of you,
but that is possible as well. I am melee hit capped, and do not have trouble holding aggro, so I find it useful as my third major glyph (even though the 8% hit glyph would take me the rest of the 8% to spell hit cap for my taunts, I cannot even remember the last time one, let alone both of my taunts failed, so I don't use it).
Darthmullet

Postby theckhd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Darthmullet wrote:I have not checked into seeing if the reduction lasts even if you take salvation off of you, but that is possible as well.

It doesn't, it's tied to the HoSalv buff. If you click off the buff, you click off the damage reduction.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:36 am

Has anyone looked at the glyph of Seal of Command recently? SoComm does make for a very fine heroic tanking seal, and so does that 8% mana bonus, at least in comparison to the 10 expertise from SoV :O

Anyone tried it? Is it better than the possible alternatives?
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents