Can someone take a look plz.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Can someone take a look plz.

Postby Skellatores » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Hey there,
just wondering if some of you leets out there can take a look at my spec and my gear.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Skellator
My avoidance so far is around 83%, according to the fancy macro that I made care of this site.
When holy shield is up, which is every 8 seconds, my avoidance is 113%.
Not sure what I should be doing in terms of stacking. Maintanakain says stack dodge to 700 to equal def. But then they say to stack more def and block to gain more avoidance....so do i go past 700 def to help my avoidance or stay at the cap and stack block and dodge. Im a dodge whore, i love it and i find myself right now trying to stack as much as possible. But im getting some criticism because my health, unbuffed, is only 30k and because of this I'm not main tanking, even though my avoidance blows the other tanks out of the water.

As i stand right now, what should i be doing differently. Should i try to reach 102% w/ out holy shield up? If so, should i keep stacking dodge to 700 and parry to 200 or add more than 700def w/ more block as well?

Maybe my specs out of wack? Its pretty generic i think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Skellatores

Re: Can someone take a look plz.

Postby Anorian » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:35 pm

First block is not avoidance.

Your spec is fine.

About the stacking part. You don't state where you want to go, and that depends on what you should do for gearing. But as a general concensus these days people dont stack avoidance. Due to healer mana being virtually unlimited it makes avoiding less good since you are going to get healed anyway. Avoidance generally comes with gear and enchants/gems are used for stamina mostly.

Blockrating is seen as useless since its the first stat that falls off when you press holy shield. Blockvalue is moderately usefull as it increases trash but isnt that good against hard hitting bosses which is what is the most dangerous in ToC atm.

Dont try to get to 102% without holy shield. The only fight where you want to do that is Anub heroic 25 man. Being at 102.4 with holy shield is all thats needed, in terms of blockrating.

High avoidance tanks are generally very spiky and tend to die on the fights where the boss hits hard since even if you have 99% of it you will be hit 2/3 times in a row sometimes and you will die.
Anorian

Postby majiben » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm

The rough math I did your avoidance plus block is not in the 113% rather in the ~105%. In that case you are wasting about 5% of your block rating or about half of it.

Anorian wrote:Blockrating is seen as useless since its the first stat that falls off when you press holy shield. Blockvalue is moderately usefull as it increases trash but isnt that good against hard hitting bosses which is what is the most dangerous in ToC atm.
This section is meant in good faith but is a little misleading. Excess Block rating is useless if you are past the block cap (102.4% avoidance + block chance) while raid buffed and also generally includes the 3.2 dodge libram. Block value is a mitigation against physical attacks that can be blocked, unfortunately in CC, the greatest dangers tend to be unaffected by block or avoidance. That's why stamina stacking has come back with such force in 3.2.

In your case I would recommend changing your pure avoidance gems to Hybrid gems when mathcing sockets and pure stam when not. For red slots I recommend agility/stam purple gems. Another thing I've noticed is you have 3 unenchanted gear slots. Be sure to enchant those ASAP. One final note is that the Armor/stam meta gem, if you can afford the defense loss (you will be once you enchant your shoulders). In general the armor meta is better mitigation and EH. The one exception is on very weak hitters (generally not dangerous anyways) and on magic fights where the spell damage reduction meta is better.

The one good thing about dropping some avoidance for stam is that you'll be using more of your block rating and have less excess.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Skellatores » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah the three non-enchanted stuff, i have excuses :). I'm doing daily's to get the Hodir rep for shoulders and as for the Weapon....I was going to blade ward, but not sure and the gloves...the +2% threat enchant was triple the normal price so i was waiting.

My main goal is to be main tanking the newest of end-game content. Currently in Uludar 10, working on 25 man soon. Not to sure if were going to attempt 10man Toc yet.

I will go and change out some of my solid color gems to hybrids to get a mix of avoid and stam.

Ill come back in a bit w/ some new gems, enchants and hopefully some new gear to show and see what you guys think.

Thanks again for the help,

Skellatores
Skellatores

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 am

Skellatores wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah the three non-enchanted stuff, i have excuses :). I'm doing daily's to get the Hodir rep for shoulders and as for the Weapon....I was going to blade ward, but not sure and the gloves...the +2% threat enchant was triple the normal price so i was waiting.

For the shoulders, you can get the 30 stamina/ resillience enchant for a smallish amount of honor. It is sold by the pvp vendors in the main faction cities. For weapon, titanium chains are cheap and are better than nothing. Also, while blade ward is cool so is Mongoose and Mongoose is likely cheaper. Currently I prefer Mongoose, I had blade ward at one point and was never that impressed by it. For static avoidance, you could go with 26 agility to one handed weapon. Personally, I'd pick: Mongoose - avoidance ; Accuracy - threat ; Blood Draining - pure survival (only good though on fights you know you are getting hit down to a range it will proc in).

For gloves, the stamina patch from leather working is a good option and it is cheap. Do you really 'need' the 2% threat boost? It may sound good, but next time you tank take a look at how much threat you generate and then multiply that by 1.02. You'll find you gain only a piddly amount of threat per second from that enchant. Yes you do get a bit of parry, but you could get agility to gloves if you want a real avoidance enchant which has the benefit of boosting armor slightly as well. If you have threat issues you will benefit more from practicing your rotation and finding ways to lower any lag you may have as those will have a much greater effect on your TPS than the glove enchant.

Hope that helps. :)
Corpsicle

Postby Epimer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:55 am

Another thing to change out would be your glyphs. The SoR glyph is doing nothing for you at all, and you're missing the best TPS glyph (Seal of Vengeance) and the best mitigation glyph (Divine Plea). You should consider glyphing SoV/DP/Judgement if you feel you need the threat, or SoV/DP/Righteous Defense if you want to make absolutely sure that your taunts don't miss.
Epimer

Return to Basic Training & Talents