Remove Advertisements

new spec time?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

new spec time?

Postby retrofade » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:27 pm

I took a 3 month or so break from tanking while I leveled a belfadin that I'm planning on playing as my main... however I'm trying to get back used to tanking while I finish leveling the other toon, but I'm thinking with all of the changes that were made it might be time for another spec.

I'm not up on all of the numbers and what generates the best threat or anything anymore...

Current spec - 0/54/17

The specs I was looking at...

5/54/12
2/54/15

Feel free to call me a noob or whatever else if I'm way off base on these... and please, suggest away.
retrofade

Re: new spec time?

Postby Nadir » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:37 am

Unless you are MTing General Vezax, you don't need two points in Spiritual Attunement. This will free up another point that you can put into Crusade.

I highly recommend that you sacrifice 2% crit and pick up Vindication. 574 AP might not seem like it's a lot, but it lowers a raid boss' DPS significantly (on the scale of ~15%).

Reckoning is "in" again. Instead of DS and Imp HoJ you could put three points into Reckoning and pick up some extra TPS.
Nadir

Postby Argali » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:04 am

I can solo tank thorim10 hard with vindication now!

Them warriors, apparently never learnt demo shout from trainers.
Argali

Postby retrofade » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 am

So perhaps something like this instead... 5/53/13
retrofade

Postby kanst » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:15 am

retrofade wrote:So perhaps something like this instead... 5/53/13

What are you going to be tanking? If it benefits from the double crusade youd be better off taking the 5 points out of seals of the pure and getting pursuit of justice and crusade
kanst

Postby Cinaed » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:54 am

I'm kind of in the same boat, although mainly as a response to the impending changes expected in 3.2.2.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... r&n=Cinaed
Just got the chest piece, so that's the reason for no enchant there. Overall I've been working the 7/58/6 spec without much issue for a while. I know the 58/13 spec is preferred with higher threat gen, but my threat has yet to be an issue in raid content that my guild has hit up. I'm high on avoidance, and am working away from block as I get down from 106 and change down to ye olde 102.4%.

I've got 2/2 in SA just from my own experiences with mana regen and 1/2 SA. Same with Divinity, a lil more survivability is hard for me to pass up since I rarely have people yanking things off me from just raw threat (rather than the occasional OT taunting when they shouldn't).

Otherwise...

Only a few minor questions. I've seen the mathlab stuff showing Crusade to be going gangbusters on threat, but does that include the newest form of SoV? Silly question I know. Other than that, Vindication as big a boost as I'm reading?

With the 3.2.2 changes, are the Crusade-oriented builds pretty much going to be the Gold Standard of Tanking Paladins?
Cinaed

Postby theckhd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 am

Cinaed wrote:Only a few minor questions. I've seen the mathlab stuff showing Crusade to be going gangbusters on threat, but does that include the newest form of SoV? Silly question I know. Other than that, Vindication as big a boost as I'm reading?

With the 3.2.2 changes, are the Crusade-oriented builds pretty much going to be the Gold Standard of Tanking Paladins?

Yes, the MATLAB simulations include the newest form of SoV. And Vindication is an exceptional mitigation talent.

I'd say that Crusade builds are already the Gold Standard, since they were already strong in Ulduar pre-3.2, and got the benefit of great mitigation in Vindication this patch. I don't see that changing with 3.2.2.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby baneoftruth » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:09 am

@OP: You have two choices as far as I'm concerned. Reckoning, or Divine Sacrifice/Guardian.

I'm liking the Reckoning spec at the moment. I kinda consider that to be the main tank build and since I'm in the main tank role...it works.

The Divine Sacrifice/Guardian spec is good if you don't need to push the threat envelope and are looking for some added raid utility (or a way to die faster on wipes).

I suppose you could technically combine the specs by dropping a point from Reckoning into Divine Sacrifice. That would give you a threat boost from Reckoning (just with less up-time) and still allow you the raid utility of Divine Sacrifice.

As Theck said (and proved), Crusade specs produce higher threat than Seals of the Pure can, even if you have Reckoning. As for Spiritual Attunement...with Divine Plea and Sanctuary up, you should be fine on mana with only 1 point in SA. I only start seeing low mana warnings on fights that I overly outgear.
baneoftruth

Return to Basic Training & Talents