Glyph of Blessing of Kings
cougbait

Re: rate my spec's

Postby cougbait » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 pm

so far my new guild has me as ret in most 25s and MT/OT for 10's
cougbait

Postby Koatanga » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 pm

It's a good prot build - pretty much standard. I think the only real difference to mine is that I dropped Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian for Reckoning.

The reason I did this is because I rarely use my Sacred Shield on myself (the ones from the holy paladins are stronger, and they don't stack). While it's true that I would use my own SS in 5-mans, if I needed an extra 10% of my SS in a 5-man these days then there's something seriously wrong with the group.

As I am doing a bit more MT stuff these days, I figure I use Divine Sacrifice a heck of a lot less often than Reckoning would prove useful, so I opted for the extra threat rather than a once-in-a-blue-moon talent.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Candiru » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 am

Ret should use glyph of consecration, not exorcism for maximum DPS.
Candiru

Postby cougbait » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:36 am

Koatanga wrote:As I am doing a bit more MT stuff these days, I figure I use Divine Sacrifice a heck of a lot less often than Reckoning would prove useful, so I opted for the extra threat rather than a once-in-a-blue-moon talent.

i some what agree with you but i like it for times where there are tank switchs such as kolo or the 1st beast, great way to drop the debuff and also help the healers out when tehy start healing the other. i have been seeing this more and more as of late no real MT just who tanks what.
cougbait

Postby badgermonkey » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 am

rate my spec's

Rate your spec's what? :P
badgermonkey

Postby Devodin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 am

I've had a lot of questions about why I choose to spec into seals of the pure and reckoning - yet I build aggro really fast and sometimes find it hard to not pull off other tanks when my mob is down during trash tanking. On boss fights I dont have trouble getting aggro established and dps can usually start in asap. So why all the questions about my build? Is there something missing / strange here?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Cairne&cn=Devodin&gn=Strangulation
Devodin

Postby theckhd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 am

Devodin wrote:I've had a lot of questions about why I choose to spec into seals of the pure and reckoning - yet I build aggro really fast and sometimes find it hard to not pull off other tanks when my mob is down during trash tanking. On boss fights I dont have trouble getting aggro established and dps can usually start in asap. So why all the questions about my build? Is there something missing / strange here?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Cairne&cn=Devodin&gn=Strangulation

Some things that stand out:
  • 0/2 Judgements of the Just is a bad sign. You just decided to give up 16% damage reduction. There's really no argument for not having this talent - yes, your druids and warriors can keep it up for you, but it's a more significant DPS loss to have them do it since Judgement is part of your rotation.
  • 2/2 SA is unnecessary, you can get by with 1/2 SA on progression content. For heroics and places where you're taking very little damage, it may be more useful, but can still be done without via playstyle changes (pull more, /sit macro, etc).
  • 5/5 Divinity is... optional at best. Nobody's come to a consensus on Divinity's worth, but in the current environment it's not really a great talent, and most of us skip it.
  • 5/5 Reckoning is OK. Reckoning is our weakest threat talent by a decent margin. The advantages it has are that it synergizes well with Seals of the Pure, and it's convenient since it's not deep in another tree somewhere. You can see from the plot in the linked post that 5/5 SotP + 5/5 Reckoning is one of the highest-threat specs out there at the moment against regular mobs. Unfortunately, if you're raiding Coliseum or Naxx, nearly any build with Crusade in it will out-threat yours, as well as having more utility skills from ret (Vindication and PoJ).
  • 0/2 Vindiation is a weak spot. Vindication is an excellent mitigation skill, and without having it in your build you rely on a warrior or druid to keep Demo Shout/Roar up. Again, it's a larger hit for them to do so than it is for you to talent it (especially if you're going for a deep crusade threat spec).

So your build is decent for threat, especially if you're currently spending most of your time in Ulduar. But it's lacking a few very important tanking talents (JotJ and Vindication) that make you inherently squishier than you need to be.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Basic Training & Talents