check my spec and offer some feedback

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: check my spec and offer some feedback

Postby badgermonkey » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:46 am

theckhd wrote:I think that's a gross oversimplification. It can also be the sign of an experienced tank who is very good at mana management, and recognizes exactly how weak Benediction is. Each point in Benediction is roughly 27 mp5.

I haven't checked my mp5 recently, but ignoring Divine Plea and Spiritual Attunement, I'm sure that comes fairly close to doubling my mp5 ;)
badgermonkey

Re: check my spec and offer some feedback

Postby theckhd » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:20 am

badgermonkey wrote:
theckhd wrote:I think that's a gross oversimplification. It can also be the sign of an experienced tank who is very good at mana management, and recognizes exactly how weak Benediction is. Each point in Benediction is roughly 27 mp5.

I haven't checked my mp5 recently, but ignoring Divine Plea and Spiritual Attunement, I'm sure that comes fairly close to doubling my mp5 ;)

Which sounds great, until someone points out that ignoring Divine Plea and Spiritual Attunement is ignoring the bulk of our mana regen mechanics. ;)

From Knaughty's Advanced FAQ:
Divine Plea is roughly 125 mana per second, or 625 mp5
1/2 SA gives you 5% of your healing back as mana. That's 50 mana per second (or 250 mp5) for every 1k damage taken per second. A tanking paladin will be taking around 2-3k DTPS, so you're looking at between 500 and 750 mp5 from 1/2 SA. Double that if you use 2/2.
BoSanctuary: You gain mana on a parry/dodge/block (but not miss). Assuming you're block-capped, and your miss chance is 10% (likely a highball estimate), you'll be dodge/parry/blocking 90% of the attacks aimed at you. For a single boss with a 2.0 swing speed (which is slow, by the way - vezax is 1.8 after JotJ), that's 0.9/2=0.45 attacks per second. For a base mana pool of 4500, 2% is 90 mana, for a total of 40.5 mana per second, or 202 mp5.

So our 3 major mana regen sources give us 625, ~500, and 200 mp5 respectively, for a total of 1325ish mp5 or higher. 27 mp5 is 2% of this value, which means that in a raid situation each talent point in Benediction is effectively increasing our mana regeneration by 2% or so.

Again, not terrible, but not very strong either. Especially when you consider that you get roughly 23x more mana out of the 2nd point in SA. One point in Benediction will probably not make or break you on most fights, and probably won't be noticeable. The one nice thing about it is that it's always on, whereas SA is not (incoming DTPS isn't constant, it swings wildly due to avoidance, which means you'll generally get both health and mana topped off periodically throughout the fight).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents