check my spec and offer some feedback

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

check my spec and offer some feedback

Postby bubbleandrun » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Link to my armory. Disregard the glyph of divinity, having trouble deciding on 3rd major glyph it's a hold-out from my holy days. Be gentle with me :D
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Vek%27nilash&cn=Bubbleandrun&gn=Medieval+Crusaders
bubbleandrun

Re: check my spec and offer some feedback

Postby Hiigy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:37 am

Lets see. Personaly id swap the 5 you have in Divinity to the divine strength. from what i remember seeing that 5% aditional healing just comes out most of the time as over heal anyways so ud be better with the strength for more block and threat.

our best threat rotation is what is refered to as 969. Using a 9 second cool down then a 6 then a 9. Hence you only need 1 point in imp judgements. put it in say benediction as a filler. Then ditch seals of the pure and go 2/2 Poj and 3/3 crusade when i made that switch personaly i found i gained a rather healthy threat boost.

As for the glyph id change Divinity for Divine Plea. If your doing it right DP should be up pretty much 100% of the time so the 3% damage reduction is also rather tasty. I mean as a tank who amongst us doesnt want to take even less damage?
Hiigy

Postby Cylan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:49 am

1) Get Glyph of Divine Plea for additional mitigation.
2) You seem like you're going for threat, but your spec isn't optimized for that.
- Move 3 points from Seals of the Pure to Crusade in T4 of the Retribution tree.
3) You're missing Judgements of the Just, which is a big nono. You need to be able to provide your own melee speed reduction debuff for many encounters.
- Move 2 points from Seals of the Pure to Judgements of the Just in T10 of the Protection tree.
4) Divinity is questionably useful in terms of survival, Divine Strength is known to increase your threat and block value.
- Move 5 points from Divinity to Divine Strength in T1 of the Protection tree.
5) If you really want to pick up divinity, you'll need to drop points in the Retribution tree.
6) You should consider putting 2 points from Conviction to Pursuit of Justice in T3 of the Retribution tree. Run speed is invaluable, even if it is 7% more than the enchant. This is a personal choice, of course.
Cylan

Postby bubbleandrun » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Thank you for the helpful advice, it was a spec i just rather hastily put together. On a whim i decided to hang up the healing gear and dust off the tank set. I'll move the points around and see how it works out for me, you were correct in your assumption that this was a max threat build hence the 5 points in the holy tree.
bubbleandrun

Postby Wolvar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:42 pm

2/2 improved judgements is slightly less of a waste of a point than 1/5 bendiction.

Divine str is definitely better than divinity, and more points in ret + DG is probably better than divinity. Divinity is pretty crappy.
Wolvar

Postby badgermonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 am

Wolvar wrote:2/2 improved judgements is slightly less of a waste of a point than 1/5 bendiction.

Erm, 2/2 in Improved Judgements is normally utterly useless, as for that 1 second you'll be on a GCD anyway. Sure, 1/5 Benediction isn't that great either, but at least it's not an ENTIRELY useless talent.

If I could be bothered to spend 50g to respec, I'd actually pull my point in Benediction for a point in Imp blessing of Might (we don't always have a ret pally). But that isn't worth 50g to me :P
badgermonkey

Postby Jasari » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:10 pm

badgermonkey wrote:
Wolvar wrote:2/2 improved judgements is slightly less of a waste of a point than 1/5 bendiction.

Erm, 2/2 in Improved Judgements is normally utterly useless, as for that 1 second you'll be on a GCD anyway. Sure, 1/5 Benediction isn't that great either, but at least it's not an ENTIRELY useless talent.

If I could be bothered to spend 50g to respec, I'd actually pull my point in Benediction for a point in Imp blessing of Might (we don't always have a ret pally). But that isn't worth 50g to me :P

If you're tanking adds on Emalon, you'll benefit from 2/2 Imp Judgements because you're not doing a standard rotation. In that case, it would let you get JotJ debuff up on multiple mobs sooner and it'll give you better up time on LoO if you still have it.
Jasari

Postby badgermonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Jasari wrote:
badgermonkey wrote:

If you're tanking adds on Emalon, you'll benefit from 2/2 Imp Judgements because you're not doing a standard rotation. In that case, it would let you get JotJ debuff up on multiple mobs sooner and it'll give you better up time on LoO if you still have it.

I've always stuck to my standard rotation on those adds. It's never been an issue.
badgermonkey

Postby Jasari » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:32 pm

It might not have been an issue but since the adds heal to full when they get the debuff there's really no reason to DPS them at all. But by rotating through the adds and judging each one you're going to take less damage.
Jasari

Postby badgermonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Jasari wrote:It might not have been an issue but since the adds heal to full when they get the debuff there's really no reason to DPS them at all. But by rotating through the adds and judging each one you're going to take less damage.

Tis a fair point. Especially on 10 man where they have a nasty habit of dying from my rotation, meaning I need to dick around picking up the next one.
badgermonkey

Postby Wolvar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:54 am

A faster judgement is always helpful on add duty, especialy if tanking for the arena team where 969 doesn't help as much.

Additionally, weaving in sacred shield or when you lose your rotation for any reason, (and there are many) a faster judgement smooths you back into 969.

Your mileage may vary, but 1/5 benediction does nothing at ALL for me. I'll take a situational point over a no-value filler everytime.
Wolvar

Postby Jasari » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 am

Wolvar wrote:A faster judgement is always helpful on add duty, especialy if tanking for the arena team where 969 doesn't help as much.

Additionally, weaving in sacred shield or when you lose your rotation for any reason, (and there are many) a faster judgement smooths you back into 969.

Your mileage may vary, but 1/5 benediction does nothing at ALL for me. I'll take a situational point over a no-value filler everytime.

1/5 Benediction helps some on 10man Vezax if you're only spec'd 1/2 SA like I am. I have to pretty much remove consecration from my rotation entirely and have still resorted to just Judging and HSing on occasion due to mana issues.

The bottom line is that there's nowhere amazing to put that point in order to move farther down in the tree. It's kind of silly to argue about one being noticeably better than the other since in the majority of situations you won't get any benefit from either.

For the record I'm spec'd 1/5 Benediction simply because then I get asked more about it and can explain the 969 rotation to people who've never heard of it before.
Jasari

Postby Wolvar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:07 am

heh, 1/5 benediction won't get consecration back into your rotation for that fight, so dunno how it "helps some".

It's kind of silly to argue about one being noticeably better than the other since in the majority of situations you won't get any benefit from either.

It's not an argument. There's no right answer, hence the "your mileage may vary" comment.
Wolvar

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:21 pm

While I know that 2/2 Imp Judgment is situationally useful, I still have 1/5 benediction because 2/2 Imp Judge is often the sign of a scrub tank who doesn't know what 969 means (and almost a certainty in an x/x/7 tank).

It's a vanity issue entirely, and one that I will most likely correct with my next respec.

Since paying my 1000g for dual-spec, I have respecced exactly 0 times and am getting cheap about it. I need to shift 2 points from Conviction to PoJ anyway, and reading this thread has convinced me I should spec to the optimal instead of cruising along in "if it ain't broke" mode.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby theckhd » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:13 am

Koatanga wrote:While I know that 2/2 Imp Judgment is situationally useful, I still have 1/5 benediction because 2/2 Imp Judge is often the sign of a scrub tank who doesn't know what 969 means

I think that's a gross oversimplification. It can also be the sign of an experienced tank who is very good at mana management, and recognizes exactly how weak Benediction is. Each point in Benediction is roughly 27 mp5.

For example, I take 2/2 Imp Judge, and I don't think I'm a scrub tank. :P

I generally identify newer tanks by noticing 0/2 JotJ, 5/5 Reckoning, 0/2 Imp Judgement, or 0/5 Divine Strength. Any of those significantly weaken ones tanking ability. I don't usually worry about flavor points like the 4 you need to spend in Ret to unlock Conviction. There are arguable reasons to spend those in almost any permutation of the options available depending on one's role, gear, and usual raid composition.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents