Trash and MT specs.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Trash and MT specs.

Postby Lusei » Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Probably been asked over and over and I am no exception.
But I've since had an need for two prot specs.
With Ulduar having little in the way of trash or multi mobs to deal with ( Yes yes I know, Thorim ) I've had abit of TPS issues.
Now I've looked at my spec and such and it just wasn't optimal anymore so I've since gone to dual prot specs.

This has become my AoE tanking spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZE0tAruMusIufdxo:Npf

And now my MT spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZA0xA0u ... x0c:pR0zmV

As much as I want to get as much TPS possible and I DO NOT use a 96969 rotation either.
(I can't get used to it)

Any fualts with either spec?
User avatar
Lusei
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Dorvan » Tue May 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Getting used to 969 will do far more for your threat than the difference between any two reasonable talent specs. For some people it may take some practice. If that's you, go to a target dummy and get swinging.
Image

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Lusei » Tue May 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Belive me I've tried but I'm yet to see a situation I can use it effectively bar Ignis or XT-002.
User avatar
Lusei
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Koatanga » Tue May 19, 2009 8:58 pm

I see no horrendous faults with either spec. However, I also don't see sufficient difference between the two to merit multiple specs. You're really just going between the extra seal damage vs the extra damage for all abilities.

In my personal spec, I prefer DS/DG to Divinity in the 0/53/18 spec, because while it may be situational, it is pretty huge when the situation arises. It really takes the edge off Tympanic Tantrum, for example.

I would really work on 96969 if I were you. In addition to your regular tank buttons, I would create 2 macros, one with the "6" abilities and one with the "9" abilities. Then 96969 becomes exactly that - hit your 6 button, hit your 9 button, repeat. Couldn't be easier(1). You still have your other buttons should you need to hit something out of sequence.

1: Well, it could be easier if you did the entire sequence as a castsequence macro, but then you could use one of those water-drinking-bird toys to do your tanking for you, and what's the fun in that?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby theckhd » Wed May 20, 2009 8:03 am

Lusei wrote:Belive me I've tried but I'm yet to see a situation I can use it effectively bar Ignis or XT-002.

Er... what? What would prevent you from using a proper threat rotation? The only things I can think of that would prevent it would be silence effects (which don't exist in Ulduar) and bosses that need to be range-tanked (Mimiron's head), which you shouldn't be tanking anyway.

If you can provide some reasoning or examples of why you're having trouble using it on other bosses, maybe we can give you some insight into what you're doing wrong.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7953
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby majiben » Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 pm

I actually find tanking mimiron's head perfectly viable but that's off topic.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Lusei » Wed May 20, 2009 11:24 pm

theckhd wrote:
Lusei wrote:Belive me I've tried but I'm yet to see a situation I can use it effectively bar Ignis or XT-002.

Er... what? What would prevent you from using a proper threat rotation? The only things I can think of that would prevent it would be silence effects (which don't exist in Ulduar) and bosses that need to be range-tanked (Mimiron's head), which you shouldn't be tanking anyway.

If you can provide some reasoning or examples of why you're having trouble using it on other bosses, maybe we can give you some insight into what you're doing wrong.


Its just keeping the rotation up in general at any time. I can't seem to grasp the same rotation over and over and over.
May make me seem like a dunce I know but I just can' really get the hang of it or getting used to that rotation at all.
Perhaps just setting them up on my action bars in a row perhaps? 1 - 6 used in a row?
User avatar
Lusei
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Kynes » Thu May 21, 2009 4:50 am

Lusei wrote:
theckhd wrote:
Lusei wrote:Belive me I've tried but I'm yet to see a situation I can use it effectively bar Ignis or XT-002.

Er... what? What would prevent you from using a proper threat rotation? The only things I can think of that would prevent it would be silence effects (which don't exist in Ulduar) and bosses that need to be range-tanked (Mimiron's head), which you shouldn't be tanking anyway.

If you can provide some reasoning or examples of why you're having trouble using it on other bosses, maybe we can give you some insight into what you're doing wrong.


Its just keeping the rotation up in general at any time. I can't seem to grasp the same rotation over and over and over.
May make me seem like a dunce I know but I just can' really get the hang of it or getting used to that rotation at all.
Perhaps just setting them up on my action bars in a row perhaps? 1 - 6 used in a row?


I was confused by it at first as well until someone explained it differently.

Think of Judgement, Holy Shield and Con as your "9s". Hammer of the Righteous and Shield of the Righteous as your "6s".

People explain it as the 969 rotation, as in use a 9 then a 6 and then a 9 etc etc. But I found thinking of it in a slightly different way worked better for me. Think of the 9s and the 6s as two different rotations. Shitty visual inc. Follow it in kind of a zig zag, up and down.

"9s" First 9_____Second 9_______Third 9______First 9________Second 9______Third 9
"6s" _____First 6_______Second 6______First 6 ______Second 6________First 6______Second 6

What your first 9 is doesn't matter (it does make a slight difference but any effect will be covered within 3 or 4 GCDs anyway). So just pick an order you want to use for the 9s and STICK TO IT. Same for the 6s. What ends up happening is that after you go through one whole rotation, suddenly, everything is on cooldown. Except the next part of the rotation. The next part of the rotation will then come off CD. Then the next. You basically can't fuck it up from that point on.

In essence, you're just grabbing one cooldown from each of the different rotations every GCD. And if you ever get lost, have to move, stop tanking for a sec, that's fine. 969 gives you the freedom to start ANYwhere on this rotation. So if you've gotten lost and need to start over but Judge is on cooldown.. use the first available CD and hope in from there. Pro tip, if you're more comfortable with it, you can even start with a 6. I hope this made sense.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
User avatar
Kynes
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:17 am

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby theckhd » Thu May 21, 2009 6:13 am

Majiben wrote:I actually find tanking mimiron's head perfectly viable but that's off topic.

Can you even melee his head while he's in the air? And if so, do you just eat the Bomb bots?

We've always gone with 1 melee tank on this fight, so I've never had a chance to try getting near the head, since I've had Assault Bots to deal with.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7953
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Lusei » Thu May 21, 2009 6:19 am

Abit, thanks :)
User avatar
Lusei
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 am

theckhd wrote:The only things I can think of that would prevent it would be silence effects (which don't exist in Ulduar)


Nitpick -- if you tank XT by a junk pile, when the spark it emits hits the pile it applies a silence debuff if you're standing too close to it. :]

Carry on.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby theckhd » Thu May 21, 2009 10:00 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Nitpick -- if you tank XT by a junk pile, when the spark it emits hits the pile it applies a silence debuff if you're standing too close to it. :]

Interesting. I've never tanked him close enough to a junk pile to notice that.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7953
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Kheben » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 pm

theckhd wrote:
Majiben wrote:I actually find tanking mimiron's head perfectly viable but that's off topic.

Can you even melee his head while he's in the air? And if so, do you just eat the Bomb bots?.


I'm guessing maybe not having anyone else attack the head while it's in the air and using exorcism/avenger's shield would work. Then just melee/use your tps rotation on the head when it comes down. Should stay ahead of everyone then, no?
Kheben
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:41 am

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby majiben » Thu May 21, 2009 10:03 pm

You hold aggro off the healers with AS and exorcism from a distance. I don't even bother to melee him when he lands. At the end of his ground phase simply taunt him to be back on top. This lets me hold the adds the whole time and frees up one ranged dps. Yes it does rely on dps not going all out on the air phase on the head but after the first air phase there should be plenty for them to do elsewhere.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Re: Trash and MT specs.

Postby Neroth » Fri May 22, 2009 8:15 am

I hate to sound like a broken record... but 969 is where its at. It will do the most threat possible and it WILL make a difference. I'm still not the best at running it all the time but I can definitely see on omen when I get 969 going in a good rythm.
Image
Neroth
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest