Remove Advertisements

Holy/Prot PVP

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Holy/Prot PVP

Postby Aramadin » Fri May 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Hai,

I'm toying with a prot pvp specc. Doing a 3v3 team for fun and i'm trying to get a decent(ish) specc together.
I know it's not the best of idea's but i like to think it's fun. So far i recon if i got holy/prot i can do some oke damage, crowd control a fair bit and survive quite long not to mention do decent off healing.

this is what i came up with: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sxAbxZxG ... usd:Mbjc0M

What do you guys recon for specc and gear setup? Full prot gear our mix it up with some holy gear?
Aramadin

Re: Holy/Prot PVP

Postby Panzerdin » Fri May 08, 2009 1:15 pm

I think it's a bad idea and you should stop immediately.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Funtodin » Fri May 08, 2009 1:28 pm

I've heard of a few people running arena with holy/prot builds with permanent Divine Plea, Avenger's Shield (for silence), 20 second cooldown Hammer for CC and extra crit/SP on FoL from TbtL. That's with full holy pvp gear because your primary job is healing, but with decent survivability, Divine Guardian 40%/1 min SS, and above average damage output.
I'm not sure whether that's a viable build since you lose a lot of crit and healing throughput but you do get endless mana.
Funtodin

Postby Barsine » Fri May 08, 2009 2:20 pm

I got a pala in my guild running with a holy/prot spec in 2v2. Basically, he's just having it for CCing and large holy light crits while his DK does the killing.
Barsine

Postby neokai » Fri May 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Danger with such a build is that HLs are really easy to interrupt.... and then where will you be?
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Aramadin » Sat May 09, 2009 2:33 am

What do you suggest yourself then?
Aramadin

Postby Khayne » Sat May 09, 2009 1:26 pm

I haven't done arenas much really, but i've seen a few holyProts around, and they do got impressive survivability.

Saw one of those in a duel outside org another day against a fury warrior that i know ain't too bad player, and in the 10 mins i happened to do few duels there the warrior never killed him (i think he didn't even attack the warrior, i think he was just practicing on his healing&kiting).

I think it could work reasonably, but i do see possible problems against school lockouts in arenas since more ranged interrupts there, and you don't got holy shocks or haste buffs. With a more self-survivable team member (like that DK that was mentioned here) i could see it reasonably, if they lockout you, DK blows survival cooldowns, and if you really need to get those heals off, aura mastery + concentration aura will help for one topping off. Maybe bubble on another emergency, and then DK cooldowns will be up again. Not to mention if only 1 real interrupter (any team with healer priest, druid or lock without felhunter), You can maybe stun the other guy and then pop 2 holy lights with no worries on interrupts. And you can do those stuns every 20 secs.
Khayne

Postby Firehaus » Mon May 18, 2009 7:35 am

I think this is a different tack than you are going, but I run as Prot in 3s with a Ret pally and Arcane mage. I'm there for bust potential, damage soaking via Sac and Divine Sac, and locking down casters. I use my T7.5 and other assorted SBV gear. I usually have about 1700 SBV buffed with Kings. Here's my spec in case the armory is off:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZVGzAMzGusIufdxf0hbc

I picked up Reck because I use SoB instead of SoV, and all my talents are arranged to maximize damage and survivability.

One of the cool things is that Prot is a relatively unknown spec in Arenas, and a lot of teams don't know what to do against you. You can bring a lot of utility to the table. And it seems to be working out pretty well for us. We're at 1761 as of last night.
Firehaus

Postby Althae » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:13 am

This is the number one build for healing in arenas as a paladin. Can't even remember when was the last time I saw a deep holy holydin.

10k unbuffed flash of light crits can't be wrong.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sxhdxhZxGdAruM0sIufb
Althae

Return to Basic Training & Talents