Just wondering how many of you have done dual prot specs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Just wondering how many of you have done dual prot specs

Postby Tinae » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:14 am

Right now with progression being my main focus I have decided to go dual prot spec one MT/threat build and one OT/utility/trash build. I was just wondering with this flexibility we have now how other people are using it. Here are my two build/glyphs.

MT
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbu ... x0c:pGaVcm

OT
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAMu ... hbc:pGNVcm
Tinae

Re: Just wondering how many of you have done dual prot specs

Postby lusisia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 am

Tinae wrote:Right now with progression being my main focus I have decided to go dual prot spec one MT/threat build and one OT/utility/trash build. I was just wondering with this flexibility we have now how other people are using it. Here are my two build/glyphs.

MT

OT

I'm currently using the Imp. LoH build. I've been considering doing a DG/PoJ build for my second one. It's still empty.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby lusisia » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:40 pm

lusisia wrote:
Tinae wrote:Right now with progression being my main focus I have decided to go dual prot spec one MT/threat build and one OT/utility/trash build. I was just wondering with this flexibility we have now how other people are using it. Here are my two build/glyphs.

MT

OT

I'm currently using the Imp. LoH build. I've been considering doing a DG/PoJ build for my second one. It's still empty.

Replying to my own post but I decided for now to spec prot/prot as I mentioned. The PoJ/Crusade build is working wonders for me in PvP. I haven't really had an urge to spec ret except when I wish I had Divine Purpose. Otherwise, I'm kicking a fair amount of ass in PvP with the spec.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Akairos » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:27 pm

I don't get how a paladin could have 2 prot builds unless they wanted to do prot pvp, as one spec can take all the talents in prot that are for tanking AND get all the ret talents for dps/threat, ie crusade, some points in conviction, etc.
forgive if I sound like I'm disregarding yer specs, I'm at work atm :< and cannot see wowhead specs.
The subtle tongue, the decieving guile,
they fail when the broadswords sing
Come in an die dogs...I was a man before I was king!
Maintankadin of <Inconceivable>
Akairos

Postby Invisusira » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 pm

I actually haven't even bothered buying dual specs yet.
Invisusira

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Primary tank spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZy0tAru ... 00b:j0pzcM
59/12
AS
DP
Salv

OT/Add/Questing spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAMu ... hbc:sphzcM
53/18
HotR
Judgment
Exorcism

I ended up picking 4/5 Benediction after our first week in Ulduar seeing myself die 4 times with 3-digit overkill numbers.
Last edited by fuzzygeek on Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Agodaar » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:00 am

Im going with dual prot specs.. trying to gain that small edge on tanking by doing so. :)

MT/Single target tanking: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZE0xAM ... dxs:RpGzcm
Focus here is +healing on me, interupts and dmg on seal/judgements as it'll be up alle the time. Took Glyph of SoV because i cant reach expertise cap if i don't.

Trash/aoe tanking: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZA0xA0u ... x0c:Npazcm
Focus here is on max threat for fast clearing and when you need fast nuking on adds in a boss fight where im not the MT.
Calithra Lvl 80 Paladin Tank @ Ravencrest :)
Agodaar

Postby Khayne » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:34 pm

I've got dual prot specs, one for pve, one for pvp.
Khayne

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Bought Dual Spec for the achievement. Currently, the second spec has no glyphs, and is a shoddily thrown together Ret spec. Tempted to put in an Imp LoH spec, but I've not decided yet.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Jazmine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:40 am

I really don't think doing dual spec for prot is worth the $. This is your chance to be a dps or healer for fun. Wotlk has been out for like 4-5 months, hopefully as a tank you would have picked up a full set of offspec gear. I mean I myself have a full working set of ret/holy gear that is around naxx25 lvl and my guild is not even very hardcore at raiding.

I would suggest going prot + holy so some bosses where you only need to solo tank (like saph), you could spec heals and help out rather than trying to do a mere 1000dps on the boss.
Jazmine

Postby lusisia » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Jazmine wrote:I really don't think doing dual spec for prot is worth the $. This is your chance to be a dps or healer for fun. Wotlk has been out for like 4-5 months, hopefully as a tank you would have picked up a full set of offspec gear. I mean I myself have a full working set of ret/holy gear that is around naxx25 lvl and my guild is not even very hardcore at raiding.

I would suggest going prot + holy so some bosses where you only need to solo tank (like saph), you could spec heals and help out rather than trying to do a mere 1000dps on the boss.

I do about 3k dps in my block value set =P
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Eaglestrike » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:22 pm

lusisia wrote:
Jazmine wrote:I really don't think doing dual spec for prot is worth the $. This is your chance to be a dps or healer for fun. Wotlk has been out for like 4-5 months, hopefully as a tank you would have picked up a full set of offspec gear. I mean I myself have a full working set of ret/holy gear that is around naxx25 lvl and my guild is not even very hardcore at raiding.

Same. I am also 1800+ in arena in 2s as prot.
Eaglestrike

Postby Ascendant » Wed May 06, 2009 11:23 am

Eaglestrike wrote:
lusisia wrote:

Same. I am also 1800+ in arena in 2s as prot.

are you healing as prot?
Ascendant

Postby Torquemada » Fri May 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Khayne wrote:I've got dual prot specs, one for pve, one for pvp.
Torquemada

Postby Karnah » Sat May 16, 2009 1:10 pm

I wouldve liked to dualspec for pvp, but its more beneficial for the guild for me to dual spec ret for occasions where only 1 tank is needed, and i dont feel like doing it. I enjoy both anyway!
Karnah

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents