Let me know what you think!

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Let me know what you think!

Postby holysoldier » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:09 am

my current build:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

Hey there, i'm new to pally tanking, i was ret until BC and now i'm doing tanking and loving it but i know i need help. i've read alot on the pally forums both here and WoW forums and read some guides to so i can do the best i can. i'm starting to see somethings i did wrong and now i'm trying to fix them and get the proper gear and what not.

To explain some of my talents, mainly the holy ones. i took strength because i understood it helped with blocking, not sure if it's block value or rating if someone could explain that would be great. divine int for more mana which is only at about 5k right now but if i have a good healer i do fine. imp SoR for more threat, and then i did unyielding faith cause i didn't know where to go with the final 2 but it seems to help a little, i notice when tanking shadow labs i don't get feared as much by the big demon guys as others.

Let me know what you think, i'm open to criticsms and help in anyway i can get so i can be a better tank. so far i've tanked up to shadow labs fine. i mainly tank with friends because they seem to be more understanding that i'm learning vs PUGS. i have done a few PUGS though and got called out by a feral druid at start for not having enough HP but he was fine by the end. anyways sorry so long:( thanks for any help.

Whatever you are, be a great one.
-Abe Lincoln
User avatar
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 am
Location: wisconsin

Postby Lore » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 am

Strength affects block value, but it's at a ratio of like 25 str to 1 block value so str is really a non-stat for us.

As far as unyielding faith goes, being a tank is not so much about having things go right, but being able to deal with it when things go wrong. A 10% chance to resist a fear is still a 90% chance to not, which means if there is a place to spend those talent points that will help you more commonly (or when things do go wrong) then that's a better choice. In your case I would have probably stuck them in Guardian's Favor, 3 minute BoP's are great for 5-mans.

Divine Intellect is a great talent for healers, not so much for tanks. 10% of 100 +intellect isn't much :P

Imp SoR is broken right now and is only increasing the base damage of SoR (so you get like 6-7 more damage per swing). In 2.1 it'll be fixed, but I'm not sure I'll have room in my build for it.
User avatar
Global Mod
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Dorvan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:37 am

So some thoughts:

1. Don't take Divine Strength. Strength's effect on block is 20 strength = 1 block value, which is almost nothing. The points are better spent elsewhere.

2. I wouldn't recommend Divine Int. Although the change to Spiritual Attunement may make this talent more attractive once the patch hits, right now Tankadins have very few mana issues and very little int on their gear. As a result, this talent isn't really needed (as I recall, it would give me something like 300 mana in my tanking gear).

3. Good job on your selection of prot talents, I've got no suggestions for you there

4. The main thing your build is missing is Deflection. 5% parry is quite a bit of avoidance, and we need all the help we can get in terms of mitigation. It's more or less essential if you're going to be doing raid tanking.

Without knowing anything more about what you want to do as a tank, I'd personally just point you to the 0/49/12 build, it's as solid as it gets for tanking in my opinion (I'm partial to 0/38/23 at the moment, but that's going away once Imp Sanc Aura affects damage instead of healing).
User avatar
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest