Remove Advertisements

Glyph of Avenger's Shield

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Glyph of Avenger's Shield

Postby dvdjrkns » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:16 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Searched around for some opinions but didn't see much about this.

Was wondering a few peoples opinions on this particular glyph. (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41101)
Is it worth using a whole glyph slot on this? I've tested it in several circumstances and find it's situational, at best. I still wanted to hear from some other tanks. I find it's very handy for a fight such as Malygos. but doesn't seem to do much for me anywhere else.

Comments/opinions?
dvdjrkns

Re: Glyph of Avenger's Shield

Postby Racerover » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:24 am

My two cents:

Based on the other choices of glyphs, this is vastly inferior. It's designed for a gimmick fight like Malygos at best. I, personally, wouldn't use it.
Racerover

Postby PsiVen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:25 am

You are likely to find more discussion on Glyphs such as this in the Talent forum, where I'll redirect you now.

AS is a bit of an enigma; you stand to gain a powerful single-target ability, but it's on such a long cooldown that its effect on your actual average threat generation won't be as big as it sounds. It is perhaps more useful in a PvP situation where you want burst damage, but then you're giving up a multiple-target daze as well as some AE damage if you managed to hit 3 targets with it.

For tanking, I tried it for a while in Ulduar. It didn't make any noticeable difference, other than that it wasn't as useful for pulling trash.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 am

Check the Math-Lab Thread.

If you use it every 36 Sec instead of 1 judgement you will gain more tps then glyphe of judgement or glpyhe of exorcism.

Ok, you'll loose the bounce that IS quite nice on pulls and with 3.1 a 3 target pull-silence.

Here is the link to it and the calculation on 3.1 glyphes:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20823&start=270

Next Page again:

As for the DPS boost from each, it's a simple calculation.

For Avenger's Shield, we could only cast it every 36 seconds (73 DPS) at the cost of a quarter of our Judgement damage (49 DPS), for a net gain of 24 DPS. If we glyph it, it's 146 DPS, for a net of 97 DPS.

If we weave Exorcism in, we'd be doing it every other Judgement, making it an effective cooldown of 18 seconds, or 2672/18=148.4 DPS, at the cost of half of our Judgement DPS, or 194/2= 97 dps, for a net boost of roughly 50 DPS. If we glyph it, it's 178 DPS, for a net benefit of 178-97=81 DPS.

Hammer of Wrath could be cast in place of every Judgement, for 288 DPS, at the cost of 194 DPS - net benefit of 94 DPS (and complete loss of JotJ uptime). If we settled for every other Judgement, it's a boost of 144 DPS at the cost of 97 DPS, for a net benefit of 47 DPS.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Jasari » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:39 am

The multi-targetedness of AS is just too useful for me to give up in favor of a minor threat increase. It's not only useful on trash, but on any boss fight that has multiple adds that spawn such as Sarth 3D, Gothik, and Noth, it makes picking up the entire group of adds much easier.
Jasari

Postby Serelynn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:07 am

I'm a firm believer in the usefulness of this glyph, but I would say that it's value is determined by how quickly your DPS likes to open up. If you have people gunning for Top 20 DPS on WMO, you will have people pyroblasting the boss the instant (or before) you pull and being able to front load a bit of threat does come in handy since no other tank can quite like us. Otherwise, it's a very useful glyph on Malygos for both the pull and before/during a Vortex.

It's really up to your playstyle, I don't run heroic instances anymore and on raid trash Avenger's Shield hitting 3 targets or not doesn't really matter much and I've never had a problem tanking adds on Sarth+3.
Serelynn

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 am

Jasari wrote:The multi-targetedness of AS is just too useful for me to give up in favor of a minor threat increase. It's not only useful on trash, but on any boss fight that has multiple adds that spawn such as Sarth 3D, Gothik, and Noth, it makes picking up the entire group of adds much easier.

You're right of course. But on a single target boss (right now like 90%?) it generates more tps then judgement glyphe or the future exorcism glyphe.

If you can dual spec you could spec single target mt and as a second a full aoe/tps talent version without the shield glyphe.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Palizangetsu » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 am

I've used it and while it is nice and offers a good amount of threat with the changes in 3.1 I think I would prefer a silence on my pull hitting 3 targets rather than 1.
Palizangetsu

Postby Jasari » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:20 am

Sarkan-ZdC wrote:You're right of course. But on a single target boss (right now like 90%?) it generates more tps then judgement glyphe or the future exorcism glyphe.

If you can dual spec you could spec single target mt and as a second a full aoe/tps talent version without the shield glyphe.

True. If there's ever a fight with as high a DPS requirement as Brutallus, I'll definitely glyph of AS. Or probably even if I was the drake tank on Sarth 3D. But for general purpose I don't see it being worth it.

I guess my normal glyphs (looking like Judgment, SoV, DP or now, possibly replacing Judgement with Exocism when I get the new libram) would be what I'd use for most content. I expect to reglyph for a lot of hard modes where HoSalv, AS, or even HotR might be useful depending on what is needed.

I'll be going PvP ret as my off spec. If I were to have two tanking specs, I'd have a imp LoH build and a Crusade build... which actually sounds kind of appealing all of a sudden but respecing and resetting up bars is such a pain for PvP that I just can't bring myself to have 2 tanking specs.
Jasari

Return to Basic Training & Talents