Remove Advertisements

Offtankadin build incl. 5/5 Divinity

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Offtankadin build incl. 5/5 Divinity

Postby Ashram » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:59 am

This is what I'm thinking...

I'm not the MT in my guild. I MT sometimes when the MT is away and I can easily tank anything the game throws at me (been a prot pally since 2.2 ;) ), but my main role is as offtank. So here's my thoughts:

1) Don't need Thunderjudge as we have warrior tanks who'll be thunderclappin' anyway. Adds and trash do loldamage so I don't really need it for them either.
2) No PoJ cause I've never really specced into it and I don't feel I need it given we have 2 ranged taunts and AS
3) 5/5 Divinity to judge Light onto the boss and allow the extra healing to benefit the whole raid.

Our holy pallies aren't interested in Divinity as they're going straight for the crit in the Ret tree, and we don't always have a Retadin in our raids. Obviously with only 5 points left over, 5/5 SotP will beat out 5/5 Conviction for threat, so I put the last 5 points into that.

This is mainly an offtanking + raid utility build as opposed to a hardcore MT build. Having said that though, every time I tank I end up pulling mobs off people, I finish Patchwerk with maybe a 400k threat lead over the other tanks, Paladin threat generation is utterly ridiculous so I really can't forsee DPS scaling upwards enough in Ulduar that they end up closing that gap. At most, I'll finish with a 300k lead instead of a 400k lead, but it's still "overthreat", if that makes sense. If I have to build snap aggro, I pop wings and go to town and nobody catches me, ever. So for that reason, even as an MT, I don't really see the point in investing in additional threat. Things like extra SoL raid healing and crit debuffs on the boss are more interesting to me (until threat becomes an issue, of course).
Last edited by Ashram on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ashram

Re: Offtankadin build incl. 5/5 Divinity

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09 am

You linked a ret build.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ashram » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:15 am

Majiben wrote:You linked a ret build.

Lol. Edited :)
Ashram

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:28 am

Well considering this a perma OT build I would go with This instead.

You should be bringing Imp BoM since you often run without ret paladin. Additionally Divine sacrafice is too good of a ultility move to pass up. Since you are an OT you will often be without regular damage so 2/2 SA may be useful for make the most of what does hit you. Since you are an OT there is no reason why the MT should waste his resources on putting up a slow when you can do it as part of your regular rotation. Spec JotJ.

Yous should also consider DG but the ptr calculator doesn't show it as an option.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ashram » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:38 am

One of our Holydins specs into Imp. Might, so there's not much point me taking it too - interesting point about the JotJ idea tho. I'll have to run it by our MT and see if he'd like an extra cooldown ;)

There's also a misclicked single point in Reckoning in that initial build...I suppose I could go for this but 15% less damage on Judgement is a lot to give up for the sake of mobility and raid healing.

Hmmm.
Ashram

Return to Basic Training & Talents