Remove Advertisements

Glyphs in 3.1

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Glyphs in 3.1

Postby Griffonheart » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 am

Dorvan wrote:
8 second Judgment isn't compatible with 969. You could break 969 to judge a little sooner if your judgment falls off, but all you're doing is reducing the downtime from 7 seconds to 6. Spending the point in Imp Judgment isn't a big deal since it'd only go in benediction otherwise most likely, but it doesn't do much to protect you from JotJ downtime either.

I thought so... I was hoping. Oh well. I still do Exorcism (in Naxx) whenever I could as long as the rotation sticks but it that's what I'm going to do in Ulduar, it doesn't warrant a glyph spot. Keep searching...
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Postby knaughty » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Bit more analysis of Theck's posts:
• If you're using Vengeance... don't both substituting. TPS gain of Exorcism over JoV is well under 1%, which is substantially below the noise floor. There's simply no point, you won't see a difference. Getting smoother at basic 969 execution will be a much bigger TPS boost than weaving stuff in. Only exception is glyphed AS... which I think is a bad idea anyway.

• JoB with lots of substitution AND gear that is heavy on Expertise/Hit AND low on raw strength AND a crit-heavy ret build, MIGHT be more TPS than SoV/JoV 969. But you need to do a full-blown MATLAB analysis to find the limited number of circumstances where it is ahead. There are many gear sets (including most of the main-tanking sets you're likely to build) where Vengeance-969 beats any possible Blood rotation.

Thus: Your "default" TPS glyphs remain Vengeance/Judgement. Emodins who insist on cutting themselves to do less TPS can glyph Exorcism/AS and do Blood-substitution rotations, but someone else has to T'Clap. And you're probably doing less TPS
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby majiben » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Not to mention SoV keeps ticking after movement.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Saladin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:21 pm

@knaughty - so is crusade or imp LOH a better spec with SOV/JOV?
Saladin

Postby Korimoor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Wow, I cant believe of all the replies so far, no one has posted these 3 glyphs as what they will use...

Divine Plea
RD
Hand of Sacrifice glyph

If you go 0/53/18 your threat will be higher than any of the other tanks. These 3 glyphs here are the most beneficial to tanking and mitigation. I will use the HoS glyph for breaths and say things like right b4 Maxxena enrage when she wraps everyone. Basically anything that is predictable burst. Then I will have a macro bound to some key that will /cancelaura hand of sacrifice to lessen the threat loss to hopefully 6-8% ie 3 or 4 seconds up time.
...if the HoS glyph is not working the way I want it then I will replace it with the expertise glyph.

Having RD is really a must for me as a missed taunt can be devestating for a raid.

DP ...duh
Korimoor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Korimoor wrote:Wow, I cant believe of all the replies so far, no one has posted these 3 glyphs as what they will use...

Divine Plea
RD
Hand of Sacrifice glyph

If you go 0/53/18 your threat will be higher than any of the other tanks. These 3 glyphs here are the most beneficial to tanking and mitigation. I will use the HoS glyph for breaths and say things like right b4 Maxxena enrage when she wraps everyone. Basically anything that is predictable burst. Then I will have a macro bound to some key that will /cancelaura hand of sacrifice to lessen the threat loss to hopefully 6-8% ie 3 or 4 seconds up time.
...if the HoS glyph is not working the way I want it then I will replace it with the expertise glyph.

Having RD is really a must for me as a missed taunt can be devestating for a raid.

DP ...duh

I assume you mean Salvation instead of Sacrifice. Anyhow, I'm dumping RD in favor of the SoV glyph which does have at least a little mitigation involved, and with two taunts not on the GCD and an 8 second CD, I'm willing to risk not having the RD Glyph.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Mizak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 am

Korimoor wrote:Having RD is really a must for me as a missed taunt can be devestating for a raid.

This hasn't been my experience.

Ever since we got our single-target taunt, I can't remember the last time I needed to use RD. Now, we get Exorcism, which is a great instant source of threat, and it's ranged to 30 yards.

Establishing and maintaining threat hasn't been an issue. That's not to say expertise and hit rating aren't important, they are.

I've also found the single-target taunt and single damage spells like Exorcism now are adequate in pulling an errant mob off of a healer for example.

Like I said, I haven't used RD since maybe the first week of WOTLK, and that was the first major glyph I ended up dropping.
Mizak

Postby Bubadin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 am

I currently use
RD
judgement
SoV

I cant remember the last time i had to use RD since we got our single target taunt. On four horsemen i use my single target taunt once as we just zerg the first horseman down and use single taunt on malygos when some nab DK 'accidently' death grips malygos instead of a spark. When we are doing a 10 man naxx achievment run i do see taunt resists when swapping the horsemen but by that time my off-tank has usually already taunted my old target off me so i cant use RD without running off with both horsemen.
Considering now dropping RD glyph for DP one.
Threat is certainly no issue for me, i out TPS our other tanks by a large amount (on patchwerk i have double the other tanks threat, (druid/DK).

I dont think the RD glyph applies to our single target taunt. I am sure i read somewhere here that it did at one point.
Bubadin

Postby Aleph » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 am

RD Glyph does not affect HoR (the single target taunt). I refuse to drop it because I had HoR get resisted on a 4H handoff which, while not fatal, just illustrates that it's not 100% reliable.
Aleph

Postby Dantriges » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 am

I use it often via Grid when a caster pulls aggro from aoe mobs.
Dantriges

Postby Jasari » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:47 am

Dantriges wrote:I use it often via Grid when a caster pulls aggro from aoe mobs.

This, I have it bound to click2cast shift+middle mouse and use it just about every CD on 3D Sarth.
Jasari

Postby Othersider » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:11 pm

regarding the Divine Plea glyph, it doesn't change any tooltips or add to any buffs. Maybe I'm just a little too inherently suspicious of bugs, but is there a way to confirm that it's working while I keep up DP?
Othersider

Postby Jasari » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Othersider wrote:regarding the Divine Plea glyph, it doesn't change any tooltips or add to any buffs. Maybe I'm just a little too inherently suspicious of bugs, but is there a way to confirm that it's working while I keep up DP?

1. Challenge anyone with a DoT to a duel
2. Have them put the DoT on you
3. Let it tick a couple times and look at how much damage it does
4. Cast Divine Plea and look at how much damage the DoT does.
Jasari

Postby encoded » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:36 am

Dantriges wrote:I use it often via Grid when a caster pulls aggro from aoe mobs.
Gyrnax -- Tankadin
encoded

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents