Crazy idea (maybe)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Crazy idea (maybe)

Postby Venoseth » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:05 am

What I started with

Spec including Imp. LoH also, probably better.

A PvP spec I was thinking about.

There are a lot of changes coming to Prot in 3.1. Seems to me, many of them will help us in PvP.

The biggest problem I've had in PvP is getting murdered by casters, and having no real way to combat being kited (smart mages freeze you at the start and spellsteal HoF ; ;). There are a few things that I think are going to really improve our chances:

1) DP 100% up-time. Thank god for the 100% dispel resistance. This will help with enemies that can burn us down to OOM if we're not ready re: hunters, priests. The glyph doesn't hurt either. :D

2) The silence on Avenger's Shield should assist with casters after they've gone out of range, or for another silence on a healer that wants to just spam through our burst.

3) 20s CD on HoJ. Another great way to deal with casters, or anyone really. Was wildly effective when 3.0 hit (from 3/3 talent and 10s from 4p PvP set bonus).

We're also better in-general with Bubble-wall and Forbearance both down to 2minutes (unless I mis-read something); great for carrying the flag. As well as the new Hand of Sacrifice glyph, which I suggest to any PvP pally. :D

Now, as for my spec, I know it looks a little weird, but I think it'll have great versatility. The change to using concentration aura w/ aura mastery (unless they don't carry over to PvP?) is huge, immune to any silence or interupt? Great for any of your healers in-range and if you have to heal yourself (like when 1v1 w/ classes that don't hit very hard, but can wear you down, hitting myself with Sacred Shield [which is going to be twice as effective as before] will allow you to get a few good crit FoLs, especially nice for hovering w/in AD range).

Also gets us in the 696 rotation. Any thoughts? Not sure if the point was better to steal from GbtL or TbtL.

TL;DR. I think the build combines strong resistances to almost all PvP mechanics w/ enough tools to deal w/ just about any other class. ^^

Thoughts? Constructive criticism welcomed.
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Re: Crazy idea (maybe)

Postby Conaan! » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:58 am

if your PVP'ing, SA gives a huge benefit, people will kite you, so DP will fall off reguarly

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... rsion=9704

best way to go imo, low damage, but you can keep your partner alive, long enough to piss the other guys off

if theres a melee on your partner, BOP him, if caster Hosac and Dsac if 2 casters, bubble and spam heal him, JotJ will murder melee dps, HoJ will stop their crazy bursts from happening and BoP/Hsac/Dsac is like tons of mini shield walls for your partner
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Venoseth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks for the input. I guess I should have specified. I wasn't planning on doing arenas. I'm constantly told that Prot's no good for arena, so I guess I don't even think about it.

I really appreciate the advice, I guess this'll be the place I come when I want ideas for arena if I ever give it a stab. I currently spend so much time raiding (we do all the old-world content then BC stuff after the NR stuff each week. :o) that I dunno if I'd have too much time to put into arena. ^^

Venoseth

Postby Conaan! » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Venoseth wrote:Thanks for the input. I guess I should have specified. I wasn't planning on doing arenas. I'm constantly told that Prot's no good for arena, so I guess I don't even think about it.

I really appreciate the advice, I guess this'll be the place I come when I want ideas for arena if I ever give it a stab. I currently spend so much time raiding (we do all the old-world content then BC stuff after the NR stuff each week. :o) that I dunno if I'd have too much time to put into arena. ^^

ah i must have missed it then, generally the "crazy idea" posts are about arena prot pallies

whats your planned idea for this spec?
Conaan!

Postby Venoseth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Mostly BGs (working on the achievements with PuGs lol). WSG is what I'm currently doing between heroics (78 badges left until the 1k achieve.)

Venoseth

Postby Conaan! » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Venoseth wrote:Mostly BGs (working on the achievements with PuGs lol). WSG is what I'm currently doing between heroics (78 badges left until the 1k achieve.)

as crazy as it may seem, the general tanking spec is the best spec for BG's, you really dont do enough damage to make it worthwhile to spec for it
Conaan!

Postby Venoseth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:37 pm

I know what you mean, that's actually what I'm saying.

In BGs (with our lack of burst) it's hard to kill a lot of classes. With this potential build, I see myself adding a lot more utility, not to mention increasing our tools for anything from carrying the flag, or kill the FC to holding a node by myself in AB. ^^

Venoseth

Postby Khayne » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:47 am

Actually i'd say as long as you can stay on target (the very hard part), and aren't oom (was the impossible part, but perma-DP may solve this if you can find a way to stay on target), burst is not the problem part. In BV gear ShoR is a force to be reckoned with, and HotR ain't too bad either. JoJ helps abit on the staying on target part, and AS helps you get to them once they flee from you once (knockback, insta fear, etc.)

I think i may need to get a prot warrior with me and try some arenas for lulz.

He slows shit, and imp spellreflects some nastiness off.
We both stun anything near us.
I mitigate damage from both and maybe pop some heals, dispel, shield us, use hand spells. Silence casters with AS from doing CC, or stop that healer when we start our going for kill.

And we pound stuff to ground with our shields.

Basically a melee+healer groups might be pretty fun, they get close to us once? HoJ. trinket? aoe fear him off and both chase healer.
By time he gets close again, warrior can maybe shockwave him and healer both. that stops? HoJ can easily be up again since it'll be 20 sec cd.

And then if they're still alive and we seem go slow? HoP and DS=>drop DP and heal us both.

I do expect it'll be very bad idea but i think it might be possible to kill some bad groups with it, and it'd be awesome for the fun factor.

WTB Stamina, Strenght, Resilience & BV pvp set, pst.
Khayne

Postby Venoseth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks for more imput, even if it is a little bleak. I tried it with a DPS spec'd Warrior (someone in my guild needed a random 2s partner to test something. It was fun, we only had 2 fights, 1/2. (3.0.9 w/ my tank spec)

I dunno, I see the merit of it. You have to try and get the other team to attack you first, live through some of their burst, then kill their healer(s) > win? XD

Venoseth

Postby Khayne » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:57 pm

I did my this weeks arenas as prot.

I don't got that good BV gear even, and my partner was a friends alt marksman hunter (just asked friends to get anyone make me a 2vs2 team with to get some loss points and test stuff).

double melee teams, we killed both that attacked us. simply put both of those got my hunter killed before other melee was in half health, then i soloed the wounded down fast and won the 1vs1 on other melee (Execute hits you for 76 dmg after block :) ).

healers generally were a total pain in the ass, though i can see getting imp. HoJ will help a ton, as will that AS silence. We won only one of our i think 5 matches vs. healer+dps, and that was since we got silencing shot immediately when the druid destealthed, a few nice crits (6,5k ShoR \o/), and then killed the druid within my HoJ. Then his dps got my hunter friend down pretty soon here, but was allready below 50% himself so i just finished him off.

2 of these matches we also got the healer really low (3k or something) and with bit better gear i think we might have gotten them killed which would have netter the match for us.

holy+unholy team really had a laugh with us, couldn't even dent them really.

we had one tie, vs. ret paladin + hunter team, me and the ret HW's each other at same time at end and both knocked each other down :lol: .

And casters in general obliterated us.i.e. double arcane mages pom-pyros+arcane barrages made my hunter die before she even realized anything happened, and me vs. a mage is allready cruel, and with 2 it's a joke.

I really need to get that prot warrior to be with me to pop those hamstrings, maybe aoe fear that other bugger off. Not die as fast, and maybe spell reflect some shit off us. And a low cd spell interrupt would have been gold vs. the resto shammy/holy pally&dk teams.
Khayne

Postby Venoseth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for the update. I haven't played a ton lately, so not much PvP at all. I'll post something if anything interesting happens starting in 3.1.

Venoseth

Return to Basic Training & Talents