Glyph of Hand of Salvation.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Glyph of Hand of Salvation.

Postby polpak » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Are any other tanks considering taking this for the 20% DR? My threat is pretty high atm, and 20% DR is a lot.

What do you guys think?

edit: Dang, posted this in the wrong forum.
polpak

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:24 pm

No, it's cool. This is unofficially the Talent Specs AND GLYPHS forum. We just haven't got the name changed yet.

I think it's more for PvP. I don't plan to use it.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Racerover » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Regardless of your threat, it's never a good idea to salv yourself. Granted, it's a reduction OVER a period of time right? Could be used for a "breathe" or something then clicked off right away...
Racerover

Postby Elsie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 pm

It isn't bad early in the fight, but it can ruin you later on.
Elsie

Postby Mialina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 am

Elsie wrote:It isn't bad early in the fight, but it can ruin you later on.

That's actually the opposite of what I thought, at the start of a fight and for the 20 secs after it, the dps is more likely to get uncontrolled bursts and get closer to your threat, but in the long run, your sustained tps is well enough to maintain a sufficient gap to ignore the threat loss from HoS. So using it later in a fight seems more appropriate to me :)

Racerover wrote:Regardless of your threat, it's never a good idea to salv yourself. Granted, it's a reduction OVER a period of time right? Could be used for a "breathe" or something then clicked off right away...

Don't judge the ability before you try using it :)
It might actually have more uses then it seems, think of an untauntable boss with enrages/debuffs during fight (Gurtogg Bloodboil anyone?) it might be a good idea to put a HoS on the current tank till the second one catches up, and the 20% dmg reduction would be very good for the job too :)
Mialina

Postby rickforking » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:51 am

Mialina wrote:
Elsie wrote:It isn't bad early in the fight, but it can ruin you later on.

That's actually the opposite of what I thought, at the start of a fight and for the 20 secs after it, the dps is more likely to get uncontrolled bursts and get closer to your threat, but in the long run, your sustained tps is well enough to maintain a sufficient gap to ignore the threat loss from HoS. So using it later in a fight seems more appropriate to me :)

Racerover wrote:Regardless of your threat, it's never a good idea to salv yourself. Granted, it's a reduction OVER a period of time right? Could be used for a "breathe" or something then clicked off right away...

Don't judge the ability before you try using it :)
It might actually have more uses then it seems, think of an untauntable boss with enrages/debuffs during fight (Gurtogg Bloodboil anyone?) it might be a good idea to put a HoS on the current tank till the second one catches up, and the 20% dmg reduction would be very good for the job too :)
That would make this glyph insanely awesome. Sadly, this glyph only works when the paladin salvs himself. So it would work in your gurtogg example if it was YOU tanking, but that's about it.
rickforking

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:49 am

That's actually the opposite of what I thought, at the start of a fight and for the 20 secs after it, the dps is more likely to get uncontrolled bursts and get closer to your threat, but in the long run, your sustained tps is well enough to maintain a sufficient gap to ignore the threat loss from HoS. So using it later in a fight seems more appropriate to me

Salv does -2% threat per tick. At the beginning of the fight, say you have 50,000 threat. It's essentially -1,000 TPS. Once you get around 500,000 threat, it's -10,000 TPS. A really geared fury warrior won't be far behind you. At least early on you can blow wings and burst around 5000-6000 TPS for a while. Later on you're going negative.
Elsie

Postby amh » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:55 am

Assuming a /cancelaura Hand of Salvation works, it´s a nice on-demand mitigation-cooldown for those foreseeable bursts (everything seems to evolve around some stupid dragon breathing at you these days:). Would be very painful far into a fight, but definitely worth trying out. Doubt I´ll have enough of a threat-lead to let Salvation run it´s full duration, however.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby trellian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:21 am

does it do -2% at the moment you cast salv or after 3 seconds when it first ticks?

in the latter case it's a very usable 'oh shit' button

even if you'r a bit off, you can have 5 seconds of -20% dmg and only loose 2% threat

If you're top in threat on omen (even if the next melee has exactly the same threat as you which sounds very doubtful after a couple of rotations), you actual have a 10% threat lead, 30% on casters.

So far I have not seen anyone be above me on the meters after a few rotations. Loosing 2% threat and get a 5 second -20% dmg buff sounds pretty reasonable to me.
This ofcourse only as long as a /cancelaura works.

I'm still not sure on this one.
trellian

Postby Wolvar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:44 am

We won't know till we see how threat scales in 3.1. Currently there are many fights where I could use it and only a couple where I couldn't.
Wolvar

Postby trellian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 am

Wolvar wrote:We won't know till we see how threat scales in 3.1. Currently there are many fights where I could use it and only a couple where I couldn't.

Exactly. So for the first couple of clears (untill your dps gets properly geared) this glyph sounds like an option that's worth concidering.
trellian

Postby Mordinm » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:40 am

Elsie wrote:
That's actually the opposite of what I thought, at the start of a fight and for the 20 secs after it, the dps is more likely to get uncontrolled bursts and get closer to your threat, but in the long run, your sustained tps is well enough to maintain a sufficient gap to ignore the threat loss from HoS. So using it later in a fight seems more appropriate to me

Salv does -2% threat per tick. At the beginning of the fight, say you have 50,000 threat. It's essentially -1,000 TPS. Once you get around 500,000 threat, it's -10,000 TPS. A really geared fury warrior won't be far behind you. At least early on you can blow wings and burst around 5000-6000 TPS for a while. Later on you're going negative.

He'll be at least 10% further behind you post 3.1 due to the TG change. This glyph would be great on a fight like sarth or even a horseman type fight where the dps might be off doing something else while you tank your boss.
Mordinm

Postby Korimoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:31 am

Elsie wrote:

So is it -2% per second of the current threat you are generating, or of your total threat ? I am assuming the pallys on the ptr have tested this. If its, only a reduction of you current threat then its not bad.
Korimoor

Postby Korimoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:33 am

Elsie wrote:

So is it -2% per second of the current threat you are generating, or of your total threat ? I am assuming the pallys on the ptr have tested this. If its, only a reduction of you current threat then its not bad.
Korimoor

Postby Korimoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:34 am

Elsie wrote:

Korimoor

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents