5/5 Divinity

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 5/5 Divinity

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Just to clarify it would heal for 1100, but that same heal on a warrior would heal for 1050, which is a 5% improvement. When we get the talent, we only increase the healing that the healer does by 5%, whether they have the talent or not.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Just to clarify it would heal for 1100, but that same heal on a warrior would heal for 1050, which is a 5% improvement. When we get the talent, we only increase the healing that the healer does by 5%, whether they have the talent or not.

^^ This. Whether or not a Holy Pally healing you has Divinity has no bearing on whether it's worthwhile for you to pick up the talent. The only thing you're determining is whether you put points in Divinity, which is a decision that affects heal size by 5%, not 10%.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Just to clarify it would heal for 1100, but that same heal on a warrior would heal for 1050, which is a 5% improvement. When we get the talent, we only increase the healing that the healer does by 5%, whether they have the talent or not.

Thanks Fridmarr. Thats what I wanted to confirm myself.
Anubisknight

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Dorvan wrote:

^^ This. Whether or not a Holy Pally healing you has Divinity has no bearing on whether it's worthwhile for you to pick up the talent. The only thing you're determining is whether you put points in Divinity, which is a decision that affects heal size by 5%, not 10%.

Yep, I had no doubts about that.
Anubisknight

Postby Thaumatrope » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Hmm, here's a GC post that describes healing "style" at the moment, which ties in a bit to how people feel about Divinity's usefulness.

Taken from http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864859801&pageNo=1&sid=1#10
When mana isn't particularly limited in an encounter, then the main way we have to challenge your group is by making you global cooldown limited on an encounter. Basically if you ever fail to cast a spell every cooldown, your target may die because incoming damage is so huge.

While that might feel very challenging, it also works against some of how we want encounters to play. You can't worry about things like mana, movement, healer coordination or overhealing when missing even a single GCD results in a wipe. This does not mean we want healing to be slow and boring. We do want players to make interesting decisions when they are playing, and we fear spamming your most powerful heal every GCD and never stopping isn't really a decision. In fact it feels more like a macro. :) So we make the risk of that behavior to be that you run out of mana.

(I'm describing a pretty extreme case too, like trying a new boss for the first time when you might be a little undergeared.)

Another way we could have approached the problem would have been to greatly increase the health of every player and then also increased the damage done by the boss. That way you wouldn't be healing a tank for 25 or even 50% on every big heal. When someone got knocked down low, you would have to cast a few heals to get them up again and the focus would be more on who to heal rather than making sure you don't ever miss a heal.

I think if the game gets to a stage where tanks actually hover around the middle-health values for a while as healers slowly get them back up, divinity would be a good talent. As it stands now, though (and as GC said) tanks get spammed up to full without any tactics involved, and tanks only ever seem to die as a result of too much damage taken too quickly, rather than heals arriving but not being big enough. I'm predicting that, even with less mana to waste in 3.1, the importance of timing heals correctly will be trumping the size of them by a very significant margin.
Thaumatrope

Postby majiben » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Good to see they acknowledge that the healing stlye they want is broken with current mechanics and fights and that they can possibly forsee a future where throughput could matter.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Awyndel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Well I for on like the spike damage fights. It's where a good balance in gear needs to be made between EH, avoidance, and threat, and if you do it really pays of in results.

There are also different healer tasks, there is the damage reduction increasing your EH even more, there is the throughput healer topping you off, and there are the procs/hots to keep you alive in between the throughput heals. This is why you can't argue wether a paladin or druid healer is better, I want both on my ass in a hard fight.

And i'm gonna argue here that on a heavy spike damage fight, the 5% extra healing on those hots and procs is gonna keep you 5% more alive in between the overhealing big heals. So basicly this buys you 5% extra moving/screw-up time for your healer in progression fights.

This is all obviously stuff wich is more tbc, and hard modes, and isn't really visible or needed in current content. And in Ulduar we might not even see it, considering blizzards plans. But Ulduar is gonna be harder, so be ready.
Awyndel

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Numbers or you're just fudging numbers. I still find it amazing that no one has published a wws that would show a prevented death due to divinity. Not that I thought it would be easy to contrive such a fight.
Last edited by majiben on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Awyndel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Yeah I know all that. And I didnt really mean to imply any specific number because I don't have any. I'm just saying this might be usefull in ulduar on hots and procs. And it might also save some mana on proactive healing ( cancel heal when full ) . On the other hand it might be total shit. I'm gonna give it some time, and wait for more testing.
Awyndel

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents