Dual specs: Whatcha all doin?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby arilink » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:05 pm

^ Has been awhile since I specc'd ret for raids. On WWS i looked like #1 on trash mobs and #8 on all bosses I believe.

Guess I'll dual-specc pvp holy. How could one past guildwars player not check out the fotm? :D
Lailani - Paladin
Vixi - Deathknight
arilink

Postby Nalyn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:50 am

rocket wrote:for those going ret, assuming for 25mans, how does your dps stack up with the others?

ive seen our ret pallies just look bad compared to other melee classes...i think that id rather do ret than holy, and while naxx is farm - i could pick up some nice stuff.

As with everything, it depends on the fight, and raid buffs, and gear, and lag, and any number of other things...

But typically, on any single target fight, I tend to come in middle of the pack, some where between 5th and 10th, usually. On any fight where there are adds, and I get to hit multiple mobs with DS and consecrate, I'll be in the top 5 easy, if not the top 3.

As to the answer to the original question in this thread...I'll be prot/ret, and it will make my life SOOOOO much easier.
Nalyn

Postby Chunes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:52 am

I'll likely be doing Prot -> holy as my choice of specs.

that is provided we STOP RECRUITING AND GEARING HOLY PALADINS.

our main Holydin has a prot set rivaling mine, but I have crap for holy gear because we've geared then discarded 2 holy recruits now.

UGH
Chunes

Postby rocket » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Chunes wrote:I'll likely be doing Prot -> holy as my choice of specs.

that is provided we STOP RECRUITING AND GEARING HOLY PALADINS.

our main Holydin has a prot set rivaling mine, but I have crap for holy gear because we've geared then discarded 2 holy recruits now.

UGH

ive been there too...seen some nice plate healing loot go to a potential full time raider over me, but being prot I have a hard time arguing against it till now....though i dont think i wanna give up prot to heal again on a regular basis. just as a fill in.

Re: Ret.
Top 10 is good I suppose. Considering 16 dps, what does this equate in in DPS (approx)?
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby Avias » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 pm

If perma-DP gets rid of the annoying mana issues with prot, I will go prot/holy. Right now the guild brings me for dps. I usually get close to top on damage done for the raid GG trash. On bosses 3rd sometimes 2nd with the occasional 1st lol. (noth is my bitch).

I just recently spec'ed holy so I could heal some runs for my wifes shadow priest and OMG! They did a lot of good things to that since vanilla, which was the last time I seriously specced holy.

If I have my way,

PROT/HOLY!
Avias

Postby phaqueue » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 am

most likely prot and some PVP spec - probably ret...

although - with my complete apathy towards PVP right now - it might be a PVE ret build... we'll see

getting kinda bored... perhaps being able to spec ret for free will remedy that... if not - I may be rerolling horde sometime..
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Lavnihs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:21 am

Depends on how the prot tree changes go. 99% sure Pve Prot / PvP Ret.
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)
Lavnihs

Postby Griffonheart » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Prot/Holy most likely, with Prot/Prot comes second, one for tanking the other for farming (ret gears Prot!).
Griffonheart

Postby Adryl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:15 pm

prot/holy or prot/shield dps spec.
Adryl

Postby theothersteve7 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:38 am

Holy, most likely just for PVP. May do Holy PVE if I get a lot of healing plate; I've been making a set and it's heroic-worthy without me making the craftable epics.

I could see me swapping in as a healer in fights where we have too many tanks.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby erdirck » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:24 pm

1.) Prot PvE

2.) Prot PvP or Ret PvP, whichever one is more fun. Prot PvP is not that bad now if you have decent pvp gear with a sword and board and are specced into conviction. Looking forward to what the the next patch's talents have to offer.
erdirck

Postby Barsine » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Chunes wrote:our main Holydin has a prot set rivaling mine, but I have crap for holy gear because we've geared then discarded 2 holy recruits now.

Heh, we've recently recruited a protection paladin, and my protection gear is far better than his (in fact I only need 1 more thing from the current content). At the same time, I only need one more thing for my holy gear (Turning Tide, curse you!) and I'm currently gathering nobles cards for the greatness deck. Havn't decided whether to get the int one for holy or the str one for prot+ret though.

OT:
I'll go PvE Prot+PvE Holy
Barsine

Postby Terrible » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Prot/PvP prot will be my two specs of choice.

Let the frisbees fly.
Terrible

Postby Ancalimë » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm thinking Prot/Ret. My first 62 levels were Ret and I've kind of missed the whole doing large amounts of damage with a big hammer aesthetic. I dunno, I've just been trying to think about raid utility...so far in the fights that don't require me to tank, I don't think slapping on my healing gear has really made much of a difference, especially since I'm blessed with some very good healers. Adding some dps through Ret seems to offer more utility in terms of respec'ing within the raid itself, at least for me.
You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.
Ancalimë, Champion of the Naaru
Ancalimë

Postby sandmaster » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 am

I find if i've gone as a tank to somewhere then "if" i'm not tanking we'll already have the number of healers needed, so i'll 2nd spec ret. Will be nice to bring the tanks closer together, was a bit unfair how much better druids were as OTs, being able to easily swap to dps.
sandmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents