Dual specs: Whatcha all doin?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Dual specs: Whatcha all doin?

Postby rocket » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:20 am

I am forever to likely be a prot -> holy as like most long-time pallies was born as a holy pally from UBRS through BWL (and a little into TBC), and prot from TBC. I wish that I had did what Lore did and grab some ret gear along the way, but i can say that i havent been really impressed with our ret dps, relative to the other melee (in 25 man raids)...and that has been a reason to not switch for me.

ive lined myself up with almost a full set of i213/i226 heal gear from naxx/maly/sarth as well. all mp5 gear - commensurate with a protection spec healer needs. I have passed up crit gear for DE since already having a full epic set already. what really stinks imo is how the somewhat recent changes have affected the paladin in the flip-flop of best stats.
1st change: spell power -> strength. sure they tweaked the gear stats, but rings/trinks and other items had become somewhat obsolete.
2nd change(in 3.1): crit >mp5. pretty substantial change relative to the "ideal" healing gear.

This isnt a QQ story here, but as much as some of us theorycraft to get our toons as efficient as possible, changes to in game mechanics just throw more curveballs at us. i have not been an prot healer much at all in 25s, but i always carried my set around to be the extra healer when needed. preparing for dual specs will have me grab plate crit heal gear for the last few weeks pre 3.1.
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby Dokidoki » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:10 pm

too many ret pallys in this world...I'll be stuck doing the useful jobs...

I mean.....dps is useful too.....right /cough
Dokidoki

Postby Holyhomer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:15 pm

If I didn't have to spec prot to raid with my friends I'd be holy in a heart beat.

It's a lot more fun now. I find dps to be boring as hell, so I avoid it.
Holyhomer

Postby Yadard » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Prot & Ret for me. I'd rather slide naked down a banister coated in rusty barbed wire than heal as a Pally ever again. I'll keep that for my druid, thanks.

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Holyhomer wrote:If I didn't have to spec prot to raid with my friends I'd be holy in a heart beat.

Thousands of aspiring tankadins cried out in agony at that line.

I'm going prot and prot.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Yadard » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:45 pm

I was going to do that, but since Kings is going baseline I don't need a 5/10 man tanking spec any more.

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby Holyhomer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:53 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Holyhomer wrote:If I didn't have to spec prot to raid with my friends I'd be holy in a heart beat.

Thousands of aspiring tankadins cried out in agony at that line.

I'm going prot and prot.

Oh don't get me wrong or anything, I do enjoy tanking. It's just that in every MMO I've played (raided for a long time in EQ and have been playing wow for a while), I've been a tank. Healing is more relaxed than tanking I feel, but it's still exciting enough to be fun.
Holyhomer

Postby ulushnar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Unless 3.1 brings such radically different changes to the Prot tree that two Prot specs are something more than just a statement of intent, I'm going Prot and Ret.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Jazmine » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Prot + Holy for me :) My guild naxx runs seem to always drop the same holy gear every week... so I've picked up an identical set of holy gear like the guild's main holy pally. I might as well have a holy tree/glyph set when dual spec comes out or else it's just a waste of gear sitting in my bank.
Jazmine

Postby leperkhaun » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Prot and Holy.

DPS are a dime a dozen its easy to fill a dps spot.
leperkhaun

Postby Erendis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Prot and most likely PvP Holy.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Auroris » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Prot and Holy.

F*ck ret, its too easy.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Holyhomer wrote:Oh don't get me wrong or anything

So many people on the board are envious of your position, in that they want to tank but are shoehorned into healing, was my meaning. It's like you're waving bacon in front of them and then throwing it away instead of eating it yourself.

Mmm. Bacon.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Gorlando » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Exolaeth wrote:Prot and Holy.

F*ck ret, its too easy.

Same here, except I also feel more useful to my guild while healing than DPSing.
Gorlando

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:04 pm

I'll probably be Prot / Ret, although I did finish my Talbuk grind today. I'm sure I'll always find some retarded grind to do.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents