Remove Advertisements

Taking the Ret route one step further: 33prot/28ret

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Taking the Ret route one step further: 33prot/28ret

Postby Silandra » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:47 am

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 1123000000

No AD. The point in 2h spec in the ret tree is a freebie: If they were to make sanctified crusader be where improved SotC is now, I'd go 1/3 Crusade and 3/3 that. But, because it's there, you can put it wherever you like. If you want to, you can switch out the points in Reck for Precision.

But, yea, it gets all the defensive stuff, barring stoicism and AD, and gives you 3/5 vengeance, which, with a default 10%-ish to crit, shouldn't be too terribly hard to keep up a little bit. Mathematically, with a 10% chance to crit and a 1.6 speed weapon, not counting parries or reck procs, you should crit once every 16 seconds, which is just outside of the range: Relying on a parry, mongoose/agi pot, or a reck proc shouldn't be too out of the question.

Obviously it's an SoR build, not an SoV build.
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Silandra

Postby Icon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:28 am

Wow, that is a close cousin to the build I am using: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qZVGzfL0zxpoZVbxt0cum

(I need/plan to shift one point out of One-Handed Weapon Specialization in favor of Improved Righteous Fury.)

I should perhaps consider gearing it as an SoR build, but for the time being I favor SoB.

Have you used your build, and if so how are you finding it?
Icon

Postby jere » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:58 pm

I might suggest you put that freebie point in either Pursuit of Justice (for those fights were you run around a lot) or Improved SotC.
jere

Postby Fynn » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:30 am

I think to make vengeance work better, 5/5 reckoning is recommended. Could try shifting 2 pts of holy shield to reckoning or vengeance since both do give threat also.

Im not a fan of seal of command and your freebie pt might be better in pursuit of justice, Imp seal of crusader, or imp retri aura if you're into aoe farming.
Fynn

Postby Thels » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:41 am

Why go through all that trouble to get Vengeance while skipping 1H Spec.

You're hoping on Crit procs for 9% while you can get 5% out of the box. Can we even keep Vengeance up while tanking, cuz a lot of our abilities can't even crit. No pull skill, so you have to open with JoR, which doesn't get Vengeance.

Totally not worth it.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Icon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:26 am

You're hoping on Crit procs for 9% while you can get 5% out of the box. Can we even keep Vengeance up while tanking, cuz a lot of our abilities can't even crit.

It is no great problem if you are using Seal of Blood, but the OP is Alliance, which suggests a bit more difficulty.
Icon

Postby Silandra » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 am

Thels wrote:Why go through all that trouble to get Vengeance while skipping 1H Spec.

You're hoping on Crit procs for 9% while you can get 5% out of the box. Can we even keep Vengeance up while tanking, cuz a lot of our abilities can't even crit. No pull skill, so you have to open with JoR, which doesn't get Vengeance.

Totally not worth it.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0120000000
^That's the build I usually run around with.

I'm an Engy, I do have a pulling skill: Rough Dynamite. 80yd+ pulls ftw: It really does need to be nerfed. Guess I forgot to mention that, tho, but meh.

Do keep in mind that Crusade is 3% against 90% of the stuff we come across, so it's really 3%+misc stuff<And imp sanct aura is another 2% on top of that so there's your 1h spec equalivalent right there>. JoR can crit, even if it is only ~5% of the time thanks to a low - or lack thereof - spell crit("Weapon swing, SPELL, or ability." Tossing critting-dynamite will trigger it. Veg card critting will trigger it.).

My crit rate last night was 15.6% in my tanking gear, thanks to a bear in my group, and Veg was constantly up. I was sustaining for a good period of time right around 900-1000 TPS, according to Omen, for about 3 minutes til we wiped on Mag. <Almost got it down, tho!>
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Silandra

Return to Basic Training & Talents