Some advice please - tanking spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Some advice please - tanking spec

Postby Kelarik » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:56 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZaxVA0uMteIRGoxo is what I'm using as a basis for my build and as you can see, there are 7 points left. My problem arises in where to put the last 7.

I'm looking pretty closely at 5/5 Seals of the Pure for more threat, as for the last 2 I can't decide.

I'll mainly be main tanking heroics and 10-man raids, more than likely raiding with a retribution paladin (so 2/3 Heart of the Crusader's not that attractive), and I can't justify taking improved HoJ, and since I'll be primerally main tanking, Divine Guardian is useless.

I was considering taking 2/2 Imp. Blessing of Might but again with a Ret. Pally it'd be pointless.

See my perdicament? Can't find any justifiable place to put my last 2. Obviously a lot of my reasons for not taking certain skills are dependant on there being a Ret Pally but really we've 4 in the guild that want to come raiding regularly.

Edit: My sig says I'm running 5/58/8, which I was until I unlearned my talents since every time I was grouped with a Ret Pally it nagged me that those points were 100% unused.
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby DanimalEQ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm in a similar spot as you, as far as spec is concerned.

With Seals of the Pure being fairly lackluster, I ultimately decided to skip it, and go with 2/5 benediction, 3/3 Heart of the Crusader and 2/2 Pursuit of Justice.

I mainly wanted to get Pursuit, picked up HotC since we don't have a ret or a rogue with master poisoner, and 2/5 benediction, since it impacts pretty much every spell we cast as Prot.

The run speed increase from Pursuit helps out quite a bit on mobile fights, and with HotR not working if we are disarmed, it does help make sure you can keep your rotation going properly, with minimal impact.
DanimalEQ

Postby halfviking » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:24 am

I'm currently working on SotP and I'll pro'ly take Imp BoM cause my guild doesn't have a dedicated ret raider. I can't get to wowhead at work, but you can armory me: Carlosmagnus on Kil'Jaeden.
halfviking

Postby Kelarik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:37 pm

I've gone with 2 benediction, 3 HotC, and 2 PoJ, but I'll probably respec again... drop Bene and PoJ, maybe pick up imp BoM, and 2 SotP, just for that extra threat to stay ahead of more buffed melee attackers with an increased crit chance.
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Kynes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:14 pm

I use 0/56/15

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAcuMteIRGots0x

The crit helps with SoR, HotR and Judgement. Also helps with the occasional heal I throw while soloing or running around without a mob to tank and throwing FoLs (4 horsemen for example).

I just don't like SotP because from what I understood it was nearly the same threat as Conviction BEFORE the seal nerfs. Now with an extra 2 skills that can crit also being our biggest threat skills, I don't see why not to take Conviction.

Oh, and I made our Ret pali take Kings, he didn't care about those 5 points anyway :P
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Postby majiben » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:01 pm

SotP is more threat than conviction. It was similat dps before the nerf but dps=/=tps.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Kelarik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:08 pm

I figured SotP would be the higher TPS after I saw a considerably drop in my daily round of HCs. I'm just thinking now...

Drop BoK to 4 points (8% buff), max out SotP, keep HotC 3/3, drop PoJ and Benediction (2 pts)... or else keep BoK and go 4/5 SotP
Kelarik

Postby Levantine » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 pm

Kings is all or nothing.
Levantine

Postby Kynes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:47 pm

Majiben wrote:SotP is more threat than conviction. It was similat dps before the nerf but dps=/=tps.

What are your thoughts on Conviction being better dps than SotP then? With threat a joke atm, I'd rather pump more dips.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Postby Kelarik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:52 pm

I was pretty sure on the 5/5 Kings, no idea why I deviated from that line of thought, especially since I hate a talent that isn't completely filled.

As far as Conviction goes:
More dips are nice but I'm always a fan of having big numbers where they should be for my class and role. Dips isn't where a tankadin's big numbers go, it's tips. My logic is that the more TPS I put out, the more my DPS can go all-out and really enjoy an encounter (nobody likes holding back). Happier raiders = better raiders.
Last edited by Kelarik on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kelarik

Postby Levantine » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:59 pm

You do realise, that for Paladins (and Death Knights), more DPS is actually more TPS? Warrior and Druid skills have innate threat values, Paladins and Death Knights don't.
Levantine

Postby majiben » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:04 pm

Much more costly and with minimal benifit. Should you run with a ret paladin you spend 9 points to get a 5 point talent. The difference in dps is not so great that it's worth the investement imo. You could of course pick it up without losing too much in prot but I prefer strong ultility to a weak increase in dps.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Kelarik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:05 pm

Just what I need, another thing to think about. It is my current understanding that across 3 mobs, SotP is higher TPS, but Conviction sounds like it'd be higher single target.

I'm hoping that some graphs start seeping out as more and more people start raiding and gathering figures.

Also, Levantine, props for the awesome Kagami avatar, Lucky Star ftw ^_^
Kelarik

Return to Basic Training & Talents