reckoning dps potential

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

reckoning dps potential

Postby Ascendant » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:50 am

looking at reckoning versus seals of the pure. Threat is not an issue so I want to choose the talent that will produce the largest dps gain.

anybody have an idea of how these two compare for damage?
Ascendant

Postby Ascendant » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 am

ah my first double post, still don't quite understand how it happens.
Ascendant

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:32 am

Seals of the pure pretty much ties with reckoning for dps with optimal conditions given to reckoning (less in reality). Of course SotP wins in threat. Additionally reckoning only works when being struckk so it adds nothing to an OT/off dps position where SotP still works.

Reguarding double posts they occur when server lag annoys you enough to click the submit/post button multiple times sending extra signals. You can delete these inadvertent posts by clicking the X in the top right corner of the post if no one else has posted after you. I suggest you try it out on the duplicate thread you made.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Promdates » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Reckoning, is very situational. Really good for AoE situations where multiple mobs are hitting on you, causing a high chance to proc the buff. For single tanking bosses, it's slightly marginal.

I currently run with 4/5 Reckoning, mostly because we bring 4-6 Paladins per 25 man raid (we still only have 2 mages and 1 lock at 80... full of fail), so kings is pretty well taken care of. I disliked DG in beta, and at this point still prefer to have the ability to hit Bubble Shield when I like, so I dont use it. Not to mention, I'm always tanking.

That being said, here's some stats from last week's raids.

Straight "tank and spank" from my point of view fights.

Loatheb (I had the buff twice I believe, getting the buff isn't the end of the world btw, you generate 0 threat, but by the time you prob end up getting it, you're about 600-700k threat ahead.)
6:56 Fight Length
0:31 Uptime
7.6% Uptime Percentage
Gained 6 times

Heigan
5:59 Fight Length
0:33 Uptime
9.20% Uptime Percentage
Gained 5 times

Grobbulus
6:19 Fight Length
0:54 Uptime
14.20% Uptime Percentage
Gained 8 times

Patchwerk
5:36 Fight Length
1:12 Uptime
21.50% Uptime Percentage
Gained 12 times.

So basically, the faster the boss hits you, the better it is. Just remember that it is "marginal" extra attacks. My average hit on PW was 667, with SoV doing 10. That's an additional 32,016 damage from white hits, and another 480 from SoV. This is also dependant on it not critting.

Your milage may vary.
Promdates

Postby majiben » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:15 pm

Promdates wrote:I disliked DG in beta, and at this point still prefer to have the ability to hit Bubble Shield when I like, so I dont use it.
DG shouldn't affect your ability to use divine shield or Divine protection.
Last edited by majiben on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
majiben

Postby Thels » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:55 am

I think the idea is that you pop it to reduce damage on raid damage moments, meaning Forebearance is activated, preventing yourself from bubblewalling for the next few minutes.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:59 am

DG still isn't preventing you from saving DP if you find DP to be more powerful than DS+DG on that encounter.
majiben

Postby Promdates » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Majiben wrote:DG still isn't preventing you from saving DP if you find DP to be more powerful than DS+DG on that encounter.

Can't really be forced to use Divine Shield and go immune, letting the boss run free while I have bubble up. So unless there's some super secret way to pop shield and keep the boss attacking me the whole time, let me know.
Promdates

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Promdates wrote:Can't really be forced to use Divine Shield and go immune, letting the boss run free while I have bubble up.

You seem to be agreeing with me here. You aren't forced to use DG if you are specced it.

Promdates wrote:So unless there's some super secret way to pop shield and keep the boss attacking me the whole time, let me know.
I am unsure what you mean here. If you couldn't afford to use divine shield thus divine guardian, you don't use it. If you can, you do. And some some bosses you can be shielded and the target of aggro. The boss must be tauntable, you can taunt and shield, holding the boss for 3 seconds while immune and hopefully canceling the shield just before the 3 seconds are up.
majiben

Postby rodos » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:23 pm

There are also bosses that stop their regular attack on the tank to channel raid damage (Hex Lord does this iirc, as does overloaded Vexallus) and also of course the ones with non-standard agro rules such as Aran, or Netherspite.

I still haven't started lvl 80 raiding, so I don't know if there are any fights with this type of mechanic, but at least for 10-man I think DG is going to be a great tallent. In BC we ran 10-mans with 2 tanks and used people according to their utility. If there's a fight where DG helps, I'll go OT or OH and use it.
rodos

Postby Girard-eredar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:52 am

Promdates, are you thinking that DP activates DG? Cuase it doesn't if that's what you are worried about.
Girard-eredar

Postby Thels » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:03 am

The problem is that, in order for the talent to become useful, you need to bubble when the raid is getting a lot of damage.

As a tank, you probably would easily survive raid damage, and basically activated Forebearance without the need to save yourself, but preventing you from bubblewalling for the next 3 minutes.

If you don't actually pop the bubble to gain the max advantage from this talent, then the talent most likely won't pull the usefulness of it's 2 talent points.

Then again, if you can bubble, then you're probably not tanking anything at that very moment, so you could probably risk it.

It's a utility talent. Some people like it, others don't. Your build can work fine without it, but also work just fine with it.
ImageImage
Thels

Return to Basic Training & Talents