lvl 80 talent build

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

lvl 80 talent build

Postby souplix » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Now I know there are a few posts of this already, this being the talent build thread. But my main question is more which specific talents to take. There are a core amount of talents, and then a few extras that would be nice but I just don't have enough points for them all. (pst to blizzard give us 5 more levels >.>)

So now I have just linked the talent (incase anyone forgot what it did percisly so you don't have to tab jump from wowhead) and a little bit why I'm wanting to take it, or confused to take it. If someone with more tanking experience can straighten me out please do!

Reckoning http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20182
- I see a lot of tanks passing this up, stating that for single target bosses it's not ideal. I heard from a friend who was in beta that there would be a lot of aoe pulls in nax, then again, Reckoning gives only single target threat, and if it's aoe that's not really as important...

Seals of the Pure http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20332
- Now I'm currently tanking without this, and holding threat, for the most part, just fine. The T6 warrior I'm tanking with is able to pull off me, aswell as some dps that well over gear me. But even without it I was pushing 2k TPS + in a za last night. Helped that there were a lot of melee to proc my JoL. This is one talent that I am leaning towards more and more.

Judgements of the Just http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53696
- This is a really awesome talent, but I will be tanking with a warrior at 80 for raids. and I doubt highly that they would let Thunderclap and our judgement slow stack (total of 55% attack speed reduction) If I was the main tank with maybe a druid I would be more apt to spec into this, but with the warrior already there not sure it will be usefull. And not sure either how critical it will be to tanking 5 mans.

Improved Devotion Aura http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20140
- Not currently spec'ed in this either and our healers (and undergeared ones aswell) seem to be keeping the raid up just fine. I usually keep Ret aura up anyway for the threat. Although there will be another paladin in our 80 raid lineup she will be holy and more likely keep her concentration aura up instead. Thoughts on how valuable the extra armor and healing is to the raid vs the value of the 3 points that could be placed elsewhere

Improved Hammer of Justice http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20489
- Now normally I'd say to the birds with your hammer reduction, but recently the patch has made it so that it will still interrupt bosses, just not stun them instead. So with 3 talents you cut the cooldown in half, making it 30 seconds, in which time my warrior off tank can bash, or hopefully another person in the raid can interrupt. This one may remain unspec'ed just because there are so many other classes that CAN interrupt, but still was in the back of my mind

*Lastly as of now*

Stoicism http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20489
- I realize how good fear reduction is, but I am currently tanking w/o it, and aside from the warlock ogre with the Maulgar(sp?) fight and a Priest MC or the Undead add on the hex lord fight I havn't found a boss that fears really. Though w/o the stance dance of a warrior we are pretty vulnerable to a fear. I assume though that in Nax there will probably be a few more bosses that fear.

Thanks for reading through the post and for any input.
souplix

Re: lvl 80 talent build

Postby mazater » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:38 pm

souplix wrote: - Not currently spec'ed in this either and our healers (and undergeared ones aswell) seem to be keeping the raid up just fine. I usually keep Ret aura up anyway for the threat.

Currently and level 80 are totally different things, bosses will bash your head off if you're not careful, the currently nerfed bosses are more or less complete jokes. I'd pick Devotion aura.

The slowing effects wont stack and the rumor goes that Tclap is actually good for warriors threat generation now (I don't know for sure, just what I've heard), so the warrior will be probably bashing it.

I'm not going to comment the other talents, since I don't know too much about the math done on them.
mazater

Postby xstrykr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Most of it has been succinctly (if someone harshly) explained by Knaughty in his FAQs.

Specifically (and in summary):

Judgements of the Just is quite good, should be a must-have as it's very seamless with the rest of our skills.

Reckoning is still more or less crap.

Seals of the Pure is decent at 80, but that's about it.

Improved Devotion is good and useful. A much better option than Improved HoJ, which is largely a PvP talent and interrupting spellcasts is something that DPS should be worrying about and not you.

Stoicism is largely a PvP talent, but I do agree that the fear reduction is useful, if only situational. It's still crap otherwise.
xstrykr

Postby Musqito » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Heya

Would this be an interesting Tanking build? http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZaxVA0urteIRGoEo
It's a 0/60/11 level 80 tankadin build...

Seals of the pure you won't be using when tanking. Benediction seems a better choice since it goes for ALL cast spells now.
Im not selfish and will pick up BoK for my guild.

You guys would suggest another build?
Musqito

Postby Flinsy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:58 pm

You will be using SotP since SOV should be your main seal of choice. SotP is way better than benediction since you should not be going oom anyway.
Flinsy

Postby Musqito » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:41 am

With BoK you seem 'more valuable' to others in a raid situation, not?

I also have question on:
- Improved Righteous Fury (cause there should a less effect of it in Wotlk)
- Improved Hammer Of Justice (Is this usefull in a raid)
- Heart Of the Crusader (Usefull?)
- Reckoning (Only valuable for AOE grinding?)

I'm looking for a good tankin build that gives good possibilities for AOE grinding as well. That exists on lvl80?
Musqito

Postby majiben » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:18 am

Taking less damage is always good so imp RF is always required.

Imp HoJ is not worth the points in a raid setting.

Heart if the crusader is a large icrease to raid dps if your group doesn't have a ret paladin.

You seem to know the deal on reckoning.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Greddy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:12 am

As far as I know, Stoicism did't do a squat for fear effects, but stun effects. unyielding faith in the holy tree reduced the fear duration.

but hell I could be wrong.
Greddy

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:59 am

Long story short
Do take imp rf. Not taking it is the druid equivalent of tanking in cat form.

Do take imp devo, it's a great filler and if there's more than 1 pally, odds are that their ret aura will be better than yours.
Imp HoJ is the last filler of the early talents, all the pvp talents, and reckoning, are worth more or less the amount of crap you can take from your dog's "work" with your hands.

If you're choosing from either 11 in ret or 6 in ret and 5 in holy, You'd probably want 6 ret/5 holy. SotP is more on threat than what benediction can be on your mana.

Heart of the crusader is excellent in any environment. If you're going further than 6 points into ret, this is a great option. Personally I'll go with 5 Deflection, 1 Judgment, 3 Heart, a filler 1 in benediction and 2 in PoJ
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents