Finally

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Blaen99 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:32 pm

jere wrote:
Blaen99 wrote:
You are forgetting the trinkets.

And the faceguard has nowhere near 4% avoidance. Block != avoidance.

He means "crushing blow" avoidance, not pure avoidance.

You can get stamina trinkets from other places besides Engineering. I have a 51 stamina one and a 45 stamina one and my professions are Blacksmithing and Mining (may swap it to enchanting).

Engineering is not required to be a serious tank, but it does provide some good options.

Again, block != avoidance. Every time I see that, I want to stab my eyes out with a rusty screwdriver.

Anyways, as I said, if he was serious, he'd go engineering - you will not replace the engineering hat untill T6, and the trinkets are just icing on the cake.
Blaen99

Postby jere » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Blaen99 wrote:
Again, block != avoidance. Every time I see that, I want to stab my eyes out with a rusty screwdriver.

Anyways, as I said, if he was serious, he'd go engineering - you will not replace the engineering hat untill T6, and the trinkets are just icing on the cake.

Whether you like the terminology or not, even if it is wrong, arguing semantics when you know the intent of the words is not necessary. It's better to respond more constructively. We are all adults here.

As for the helm, yes, it is probably the best helm in terms of mitigation and avoidance till T6. However, plenty of good tanks don't have it and never will have it due to other profession choices. That helm is mostly gravy. It is not necessary, nor is it the end all to all helms. There will be better ones and no guaruntee that engineering will have better "tanking" helms in the future. Not to mention, tanking is more than just "the best gear". Sometimes it takes a better, more serious, tank to make the best of what tools he has. If that's the engineering helm, then great..if not, then great. I don't think it is ever a good idea to base the entirety of "serious" tanking on a single piece of gear (or the icing for that matter).

Just for example, Kungen, probably one of the top tanks in the world right now in terms of gear and I would guess skill as well, didn't get it. He was alchemy and enchanting. I would never go as far to say he was not serious.
jere

Postby guillex » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Blaen99 wrote:Again, block != avoidance. Every time I see that, I want to stab my eyes out with a rusty screwdriver.

I realise that dodge and parry are pure avoidance, and that block is mitigation.

But the 67.1-67.4% that I'm shooting for at the moment takes into account block%. I think that it's just taken as a part of avoidance when you're talking about the magic uncrushable number... Defense and avoidance.

In any case, it's semantics, as jere said, and not overly important, as we all know what we're talking about in this case.

I'm not sure I'll take up eng... I just recently finished up with herbalism, and was going to keep it around for a while whilst saving for my epic flyer. But who knows, I may just drop it for the goggles, poultryizer, and that other one... If I can't get my hands on the vengeance and madness decks, that is.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents