55/6 - Heroic / Kara Build

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

55/6 - Heroic / Kara Build

Postby Apox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:17 pm

Evening all,

First, a disclaimer. I am not an extremely well geared tank; far from it, in fact. I do not claim to "know my shit" about paladins in any way what-so-ever. Just recently, I decided to switch my main from my lock to my prot paladin for WotLK. In preparation, I've been gearing him up as much as my luck allows with Karazhan, ZA, and crafted gear, while learning to tank heroics and the like (speccing ret for ZA, no worries). I'm looking for some constructive criticism on my current spec choice, in order to make the most out of my current gear setup.

A little about my gear, because it may be relevant and my armory refuses to update:

HP: 12697
Armor: 15589 with aura
Dodge: 22.71%
Parry: 15.85%
Block: 12.24 + 35.32 (HS w/ libram) = 47.56%
Defense: 477
Resilience: 60

My spec is setup to favor survivability more than mana efficiency or threat production, although I tried to obtain a good balance.

Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAcuMteIkGoxo

Now, to at least explain my reasoning on a few questionable choices. Let me know if my logic is wrong.

BoKings: I didn't get it. Normally I will be the only paladin in a 5 man, putting Sanctuary on myself and other classes prefer Might or Wisdom. I didn't feel it was worth 5 points.

Improved HoJ: I went ahead and got this for situations when there are no interrupts available since HoJ acts like an interrupt even on mobs which aren't stunnable. It was also the most useful to fill points to get to the next tier.

Guarded by the Light: I only got one point here, because I had to give up one "ideal" point in order to grab improved judgements. It was either this or Shield of the Templar, which I am hoping to keep for extra threat and also the mitigation when 3.0.3 hits.

Thanks for your help.

--

Apox
Apox

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:22 pm

FAQ

• Lose reckoning.
• When you run 10s, who is putting Kings on you?

Otherwise fine.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Apox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I think you clicked my topic too quickly. I had the wrong build up there for about 10 seconds before I double checked it. I don't have reckoning.
Apox

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Apox wrote:I think you clicked my topic too quickly. I had the wrong build up there for about 10 seconds before I double checked it. I don't have reckoning.

So long as you're following the "Rule of Thumb" re Kings (someone has it) then (new) build is fine.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Apox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks for linking the FAQ, I hadn't checked the WotLK section just yet. Very useful stuff.

--
Apox
Apox

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:59 am

Having (on my Priest) healed Tankadins at around your gear level, I would question the sanity of NOT using kings on that amount of HP. The build seems fine, but if I were your healer, I'd be screaming for Kings.

Actually, thinking about it, that amount of health with consumable buffs, player buffs, careful CC and so forth will probably do. Personally, I'd still want Kings though.

As a disclaimer, I've not played since the WotLK patches, so if heroics are now a complete walk in the park, feel free to ignore what I've said. Same about Kara.

TL;DR
Why don't you have kings?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Apox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:33 am

Panzerdin wrote:Why don't you have kings?

For bosses: I decided to pass up kings so I could squeeze in judgements of the just. For single target tanking it will effectively be a 20% damage reduction, whereas kings will give < 10% more HP.

For trash: I cannot imagine going without sanctuary, especially for instances where the trash hits weak. I would undoubtedly be mana starved.

For 10 mans: My guild has such a surplus of holy paladins, we rarely see a run without kings. If I were in a guild where this was not the case, I would easily pass up JoJ for kings.

So far, this build has worked out great. I've been capable of the more difficult/hard hitting heroics (BF, MGT, SH); granted the healers I run with are superb. My gear is finally to the point where I feel comfortable main tanking kara or off tanking za without holding the group back, so we'll see how it holds up there on the next reset.

--
Apox
Apox

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:44 am

If you've reached the stage where you're actually mana starved in heroics (god only knows how you're doing it in that gear, but I'll take your word for it), then I guess you're fine dropping Kings.

Have heroics really been made that trivial in 3.0.x? They've never been a serious issue, but a tank in that sort of gear would be some kind of challenge to heal.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Return to Basic Training & Talents