What spec are you using for soloing Stratholme and above?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

What spec are you using for soloing Stratholme and above?

Postby Bk992004 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:17 pm

I'm thinking I should put some stuff down into ret but I don't know how far I should go... I could go all ret, I guess, but does killing a few things really fast work better than larger pulls as prot?
Bk992004

Postby Lore » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:48 pm

If you're going to respec to farm level 60 instances just spec full ret and wear ret gear O_o
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Bereid » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:35 pm

but wouldn't you be able to pull more thus killing faster as prot? My prot gear is horrible, 9k hp 1900 AP with might and 28% crit, so i seriously doubt i could clear that place faster than specing prot since my prot gear is alot better.
Bereid

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:42 pm

If you are farming the baron's mount then the point is to skip as much trash as you can safely.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Re: What spec are you using for soloing Stratholme and above

Postby Conaan! » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Bk992004 wrote:I'm thinking I should put some stuff down into ret but I don't know how far I should go... I could go all ret, I guess, but does killing a few things really fast work better than larger pulls as prot?

just stay usual prot spec, its not hard, learn the patrols, take it slow, ive only ever had to kill 3 packs of mobs and the mini bosses before the slaughterhouse area, then just grab all aboms, tank on top of door when abom boss comes out, drag him inside before doors shut and tank him against far wall, adds come when he dies, kill those 4, kill baron, walk out, have fun killing all the tiny one shot adds and wham your done
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby CKaz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:41 am

at what level does this [whole instance] open up would you say (as Prot)?

I'm 65 now and did the front solo rather easily a couple levels back, can I go the distance? Any other nice juicy suggestions for the up and coming?
fuzzygeek wrote:Some people have always endeavored to avoid int.
CKaz

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:52 am

Clearing it before 70 is quite harder, mainly because your aggro range is bigger.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Kracus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 am

The only issue I had was dealing with the spider mobs and spider boss. That web needs to be on some kind of cool down. And if it is, a longer one.

And this is particular to the bottom of the stairs to the spider boss, right at the corner when you are heading to him/her. I get webbed, he runs and potentially aggros more and the necromancers start draining my mana and health to restore theirs.

Haven't tried while in ret gear, but my friend who was doing it as ret could 2-3 shot the spider.
"The sun does not grant anything, it is simply there. And flowers simply bloom. Not for anyone's sake."
I am Warlock
Kracus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:51 am

Kracus wrote:The only issue I had was dealing with the spider mobs and spider boss. That web needs to be on some kind of cool down. And if it is, a longer one.

And this is particular to the bottom of the stairs to the spider boss, right at the corner when you are heading to him/her. I get webbed, he runs and potentially aggros more and the necromancers start draining my mana and health to restore theirs.

Haven't tried while in ret gear, but my friend who was doing it as ret could 2-3 shot the spider.

The crawlers silence, they are the only mobs that can cause me problems. So I open with a stun on them and DPS them down fast, and even use the bubble if needed. They can chain that silence almost permanently.

I was doing strat with a warrior and he was skipping mobs, while I was going through the center, he was faster, but not by all that much, maybe 2 min or so. I wanted the cloth along the way, so it was worth it for me. I'm not really interested in the mount, so he was chasing that down, while I'd run around and find mobs to kill. I was ret at the time, but I have farmed it as prot, the advantage there is that you can handle 5 to 6 packs at once, but if you were just going for the mount and skipping mobs, ret would be faster.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Kracus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:44 am

For farming cloth I wouldn't bother opening the gate to undead side, the initial areas have plenty of mobs and 80-90% of them are all melee, no silence, no mana drain, no trapping, no anti-magic or bone shields.
"The sun does not grant anything, it is simply there. And flowers simply bloom. Not for anyone's sake."
I am Warlock
Kracus

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Crypt Crawlers silence and root.
Crypt Beasts root, but don't silence.
Rockwing Screechers fear and DPS from range, but the other gargoyles do not.
Thuzadin Necromancers have a powerful health drain. Be sure it gets dispelled.

The other trash is pretty trivial. I use a standard prot spec, cause I deleted my Ret gear.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Rena » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:45 am

I've been goin' ret and clearing Strat very fast. around 10-15mins per run. Still no mount :(
Rena

Postby majiben » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:52 pm

The root+silence can be avoided if you use HoF premptively.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby amunstorr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:42 am

well since the fancy 3.0.2 , ret is the way to go, providing good gear and level 70 you will tear through strat easily.
...fior me i would use prot because of the abilityies against undead and demons,. idk.... i would farm the whole instance tho.
amunstorr

Postby Venoseth » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:27 am

I've been soloing BF/Ramps/UB/SP pretty easily as Ret. Strath can't really be harder than that, is it? Use your abilities properly, with an understanding of what's in the pull, and you can do a lot as Prot or Ret.
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents