How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

12/37/12

Postby Anuji » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:57 am

What do you think of this:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVV0MZVbtIx0dMgoZVbx
?

Maintankadin of our Raid got this and i hadn't the chance to speak with him :/

for me, i'm tanking since leveling this toon all up to 70 (was exactly 20 minutes Retri.. ^^ and only for some Arena Holy) and was most of the time with 49/12 or 46/15 spec and did well..

but i'm not pretty much amused about losing aggro on some dude's in heroic's or Kara...

gimping most of my time with ~4xx-500 tps in kara w/o wings or adept's / food...
just keeping consecration up and judging Righteouss
(and i think my gear isn't that bad..)
sure i can keep up tanking pretty much all in that (most bosses tanked yet) but sometimes i just can't get fast enough threat (especially the undead frozin dudes pre-Opera)
maybe this spec gives me a bit threatboosting?
sure i would miss avenger's... but maybe the threatboosting from imp. J/SoR would give me what i want?

btw: hope i'm getting t4-gloves tomorrow for 2piece bonus (maybe just that's helping a lot?)
don't have the chance to get shoulders in a large time cuz we already got a tankadin and our RL isn't really a friend of us :(
(keepin' me out of raiding due to missing free-places)

PS: btw.. i love this forum ;)
and i hope you can read what i'm asking of... (German inside :D)
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... ck&n=Anuji
Hope it's understandable what i'm sayin' :D
Anuji

Postby Thels » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:30 am

You're the 2nd prot pally in your guild? That's stuffing it a bit.

You got less threat than with the regular 0/49/12 build. Imp SoR doesn't do all that much, and you lack on AS, which, bundled with AW, gives some awesome starting aggro. Also, Reckoning might provide a little aggro without having to shift over to Holy.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Anuji » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 am

not in my guild.. but in the raid ;)
got a raid with 3 guilds together (don't remember the one-word meaning... duh!)

of course i have great aggro with 49/12 spec or 46/15 but i'm a perfectionist i think.. everytime someone steals aggro from me i'm getting disappointed and asking myself what i have done wrong..

mhh.. goin with 49/12 spec kara tomorrow, posting if anyone is a great aggrothief.
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... ck&n=Anuji
Hope it's understandable what i'm sayin' :D
Anuji

Postby Thels » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:06 am

If you really wanna go all out aggro wise, you could use something like http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aZVhthx0zggoZVfx00fzb

But imho, you're giving up too much survivability.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby sangre » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:47 am

Just from my personal point, if someone is stealing aggro from you in a raid environment, they're not doing their job correctly.

It's everyone else's job to watch the threat meter and fall in accordingly. It's your job to do as much threat as you can and only look at the meter to see when you can switch to a more defensive weapon.

The idea of giving up survivability for threat generation (for a paladin tank, at least) in the talent trees should never be needed.
sangre

Postby Daedallus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:27 am

One tip i've found helpful is holding avenging wrath until the mob gets to you, and not using it to fuel your Avenger's shield. Having it going for a full length max rank consecration, judge/rejudge of righteousness and the holy shield procs seems to jump threat into realms unheard of at the start of a fight. Having that extra threat on AS helps, don't get me wrong, but i find you waste precious seconds while casting AS, and the time in which the mob is running toward you.

and the above posters are correct. paladin threat is amazing, its one of our strongest areas. if your dps is stealing threat, then they need to get ktm/omen, and learn to play/raid.
Daedallus

Postby Thels » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Depends. If you stand close enough, you can toss your SoR practically right after AW. Also keep in mind that the first dot for SoV is important. If the first dot gets on there with AW, then SoV keeps on doing more damage.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Daedallus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:59 pm

learn something every day, didn't know that sov would keep doing the 30% enhanced damage. of course, i belong in the "sov is more trouble than its worth" camp, so i have to admit after a few days i just stopped using it except in rare fights.
Daedallus

Return to Basic Training & Talents