Precision vs Imp HoJ, Guardian's Favor vs Spell Warding?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Precision vs Imp HoJ, Guardian's Favor vs Spell Warding?

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Context: 5 man, heroics.

I'm more and more convinced precision really doesn't matter all *that* much; one of the things I miss the most from my tank is Concussion blow. Dropping the CD on HoJ would fill that void somewhat.

And I never took the Spell dmg reduction on my warrior either. Having a shorter CD on BoP seems like it'd be awfully convenient as an additional "taunt", but it doesn't seem like it's that big a part of the cookie cutter spec.

Am I missing something?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Buttertoast » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:04 pm

precision makes a notable difference in avenger shield whiffing (not so much seal/white damage success rate). it might just be placebo, but i seem to notice the difference with and without.

i find my usage of bop is very limited in any 5-man. the 5 min timer is certainly more than adequate for me, just my 2c.
Buttertoast

Postby adese » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:34 pm

Buttertoast wrote:precision makes a notable difference in avenger shield whiffing (not so much seal/white damage success rate). it might just be placebo, but i seem to notice the difference with and without.

I will second this - when I switched from Precision to 3/5 WE for testing, it seemed like my AS never hit. Plus, if you ever want to MT a raid boss, some extra hit is nice to make up for those 3 levels between you and the boss.
adese

Postby honorshammer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:06 am

I have GF. I really like it. The short cooldown on BoP is very nice, and also the extended duration of BoF is a bonus.

The issue I have with Spell Warding, and Precision is you can't SEE them working. The log doesn't tell you how much damage was absorbed or whether you hit because you had precision or just dumb luck.

I do have Spell Warding in my build. I don't have Precision or Improved Hammer of Justice.

If the mob is stunnable (Heroic trash) I usually drop a HoJ on my target. My Holy Paladin healer friend likes to do the same. Its a nice damage reduction (0 damage for 6 seconds).

Feel free to look at my build if you want. Its something of a PVE Tank / PVP Healer compromise so I can do Arena's for the mace.
honorshammer

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:34 am

I guess it'll matter less when they fix BoP so it's not castable on others while you're CCed. But maybe it's worthwhile for an extra fear break.

Hmm. Only one way to find out I guess.

Precision states it's chance to hit with melee, so I'm hoping it doesn't affect AS at all. I like using HoJ to stun a mob in cons; I'm still building aggro on it while decreasing the amount of incoming damage I'm taking. On a 7+ mob pull it makes things easier for a healer.

On my tank I used to use it to stun a 4th mob while I sundered or shield slammed other things in a multi mob pull; this was just to protect the healer while I established aggro. On a tankadin, it's to protect myself (and by extension the party).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:04 pm

WTF. I spec'ed out of precision and now AS seems to miss pretty frequently.

I know it's got to be confirmation bias ... but ... yeeech.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Hollyhell » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:47 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:WTF. I spec'ed out of precision and now AS seems to miss pretty frequently.

For some reason, blizz decided that paladin mechanics for some things should work from a melee standpoint, and others from a caster standpoint. Apparently AS is something that works from melee.
Hollyhell

Postby Buttertoast » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:WTF. I spec'ed out of precision and now AS seems to miss pretty frequently.

parse it if you don't believe it. if there's one thing i've learned from playing this game, it's that human observation is the most ridiculously flawed method ever.
Buttertoast

Return to Basic Training & Talents