Skip to content
Maintankadin

The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Petrus
Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:51 pm

The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Welcome to the first version of the Cataclysm gear list! This list will include all known gear and I will make an effort not to include plate DPS gear, though now there is some overlap due to the hit, expertise, and mastery stats all being two-way stats (good for dps and tanks). In Wrath there were few Hit/Expertise items and we generally didn't take them into account for tanking, but there are going to be many more hit/mastery and expertise/mastery items in Cataclysm, and I will list them here because despite the lack of "pure" defensive stats, they may be very useful depending on how well our mastery performs.

Unknown items/drop locations will be in bold - I appreciate help with information on where these items can be found! I'm in beta myself but I won't find everything.

Item slots that do not yet have tank items will be marked "-NYI-" meaning "Not Yet Implemented."


On to the listing!

Last updated 9/29/10

Head:

1. [Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard] - Unknown, Tier 11 Helm
1. [Reinforced Bio-Optic Killshades] - Crafted (Requires Engineering)
2. [Helm of the Proud] - Unknown
3. [Grinning Fang Helm]/[Crown of Wings] - Vendor - Requires Dragonmaw Clan/Wildhammer Clan - Revered
4. [Hardened Obsidian Helm] - Crafted


Neck:

1. [The Lustrous Eye] - 1250 Justice Points
2. [Darkhowl Amulet] - Unknown
3. [Carrier Wave Pendant] - Unknown, probably Throne of the Tides

Shoulders:

1. [Reinforced Sapphirium Shoulderguards] - Unknown, Tier 11 Shoulders
2. [Sunburnt Pauldrons] - Unknown - 1650 Justice Points
2. [Pauldrons of the High Requiem] - 1650 Justice Points
3. [Earthshape Pauldrons] - Unknown
4. [Hardened Obsidian Shoulders] - Crafted
5. [Raz's Pauldrons] - Ascendant Lord Obsidius, Blackrock Caverns

Back:

1. [Gray Hair Cloak] - 1250 Valor Points
1. [Twilight Dragonscale Cloak] - Crafted
1. [Floating Web] - 1250 Valor Points
2. [Shroud of Dark Memories] - Unknown
2. [Cloak of War] - Crafted
3. [Burned Gatherings] - Karsh Steelbender, Blackrock Caverns

Chest:

1. [Reinforced Sapphirium Chestguard] - Unknown, Tier 11 Chest
1. [Hardened Elementium Hauberk] - Crafted
2. [Chestplate of the Steadfast] - 2200 Justice points
3. [Breastplate of the Witness] - Quest: Closing a Dark Chapter (Grim Batol)
4. [Beauty's Plate] - Beauty, Blackrock Caverns

Wrist:

1. [Sandguard Bracers] - Vendor - Requires Ramkahen - Exalted
2. [Armguards of Unearthly Light] - Unknown

Hands:

1. [Reinforced Sapphirium Handguards] - Unknown, Tier 11 Gloves
2. [Numbing Handguards] - 1650 Justice Points
3. [Fingers of Light] - Unknown

Waist:

1. [Hardened Elementium Girdle] - Crafted
2. [Girdle of the Mountains] - 1650 Justice Points
3. [Forgemaster's Shattered Shackle] - Quest: Forgemaster Pyrendius (Mount Hyjal)
3. [Pounded Pewter Links] - Quest: Decisions, Decisions (Kelp Forest)

Legs:

1. [Reinforced Sapphirium Legguards] - Unknown, Tier 11 Pants
2. [Greaves of Splendor] - 2200 Justice points

Feet:

1. [Rock Furrow Boots] - 1650 Valor Points
1. [Boots of Sullen Rock]/[Gryphon Rider's Boots] - Vendor - Requires Dragonmaw Clan/Wildhammer Clan - Exalted
2. [Nemesis Crushers] - Quest: Finish Nemesis (Mount Hyjal)

Fingers:

1. [Ring of the Battle Anthem] - 1250 Valor Points
2. [Felsen's Ring of Resolve] - Vendor - Requires Therazane - Revered
3. [Temple Band] - Unknown
3. [Umbriss Band] - Unknown
4. [Hallazeal's Demise] - Quest: All that Rises (Abyssal Depths)
4. [Entwined Nereis] - Unknown




Trinkets:

Threat:

1. [Impatience of Youth] - Vendor - Requires Baradin's Wardens - Exalted (Horde Version NYI)
1. [License to Slay] - 1650 Valor Points

Avoidance:

1. [Mirror of Broken Images] - Vendor - Requires Baradin's Wardens - Exalted (Horde Version NYI)
2. [Throngus's Finger] - Unknown
3. [Porcelain Crab] - Unknown

Stamina/Multipurpose:

1. [Bedrock Talisman] - 1650 Valor Points

Profession-based:

Jewelcrafting:
1. [Figurine - King of Boars] - Crafted
2. [Figurine - Earthen Guardian] - Crafted

Alchemy:
1. [Lifebound Alchemist Stone] - Crafted

Engineering:
1. [Elementium Dragonling] - Crafted





Weapons:

1. [Mace of Transformed Bone] - Unknown
1. "[Str Slow Mace]" - Unknown
1. "[Str Slow Mace]" - Unknown
1. [Sun Strike] - Unknown
2. [Riftrent Waraxe] - Quest: The Binding (Deepholm)

Shields:

1. [Elementium Earthguard] - Crafted
2. [Shield of the Four Grey Towers] - 950 Justice Points
3. [Twilight Mirrorshield] - Unknown
3. [Bulwark of the Primordial Mound] - Unknown
3. [Shield of the Iron Maiden] - Rom'ogg Bonecrusher, Blackrock Caverns

Relics:

1. [Relic of Khaz'goroth] - 700 Valor Points
2. [Emerald Heart] - Quest: The Axe of Earthly Sundering (Deepholm)
3. [Blackblood Freedom Standard] - Unknown
4. [Azralon's Twisted Rune] - Quest: The Gatekeeper (Mount Hyjal)
Jensaarai
Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:26 am

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Some new pieces I have I thought I'd post. Everything but the shoulders I believe was from Halls of Origination; the shoulders were from Grim Batol.

Neck - Darkhowl Amulet

Shoulders - Earthshape Pauldrons

Ring - Temple Band

Trinket (avoidance) - Cataclysm Baradin's Wardens Exalted Tank Trinket (Tol Barad vendor, ilevel 359 req level 85: Equip: +321 dodge rating. On Use: +146 dodge rating for 40sec [2min cd])

1H Sword - Sun Strike (not technically tanking, there's a tanking mace with dodge instead of mastery but as mastery still gives block, it's not bad)

EDIT: Just got the mace - Mace of Transformed Bone

Shield - Bulwark of the Primordial Mound

:)
Petrus
Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:58 am

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

I'm planning on adding some of those as they become available on WoWhead. I can add item links for them so you can mouseover and get tooltips because the item IDs are on MMO-Champ's database, but the tooltips will be broken for a bit until WoWhead adds them to their db. I'll probably do this in the next day or two.
Klaudandus
Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

It would be worth making a note on your list for items like Burned Gatherings - which are mostly considered dps gear, but that are still useful with their combination of threat(hit or expertise)/mastery secondary stats.
Petrus
Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Something Lythac pointed out to me: With reforging available, we can probably also add a defensive stat to those items and our mastery is also defensive, so ultimately they're just as much tank items as they are dps items.
Zalaria
Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Petrus wrote:Something Lythac pointed out to me: With reforging available, we can probably also add a defensive stat to those items and our mastery is also defensive, so ultimately they're just as much tank items as they are dps items.


Reforging seems to be green-stat-to-green-stat (plus spirit), so we could take off 40% of a dps stat and replace with parry, dodge, or mastery. You just can't add more of an existing stat:

Image Image
Nikachelle
Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Can you reforge EVERY piece of gear?
Zalaria
Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Not sure. Going from the MMO-Champ screenshots, it looks like you just drag an item into the interface and it goes. I expect is will be limited to the "main" slots, maybe including jewelry and weapons. I don't expect trinkets to be reforgeable, but I'm not sure.

And I was wrong, it's 40%, not half.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/745 ... uild-12694
Klaudandus
Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Zalaria wrote:Not sure. Going from the MMO-Champ screenshots, it looks like you just drag an item into the interface and it goes. I expect is will be limited to the "main" slots, maybe including jewelry and weapons. I don't expect trinkets to be reforgeable, but I'm not sure.

And I was wrong, it's 40%, not half.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/745 ... uild-12694


And as such, this gear is not as desireable as gear that has more tank oriented stats, but does not mean I will turn my nose on it if no dps wants that gear, and I can find use for it as a stopgap until I find better gear.
*runs out of breath*
Sabindeus
Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

1. You can reforge everything (except items under ilvl 200).

2. You can reforge any stat except Str, Agi, Int, Stam.

3. You CANNOT duplicate an existing stat. E.g. If an item has X Haste Rating and Y Mastery Rating, you cannot Reforge some Mastery into some Haste or vice versa.
hoho
Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

Sabindeus wrote:2. You can reforge any stat except Str, Agi, Int, Stam.
I think resilience is in that list too.

Also, I can do "fun" stuff like change my haste trinket into haste/expertise one for priest if I'd really want to :P
Sabindeus
Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

You may be right, I don't remember seeing Resilience on the list. I'll take another look tonight.
Sabindeus
Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

At Lythac's request, I've installed the db.mmo-champion.com tooltip JavaScript so you can use either that or wowhead.
Flex
Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: The Maintankadin Cataclysm Gear List

So, looks like the advent of Str 1 handers may mean no more fast tanking weapons.