I've switched mains to my holy priest and I know there are a few other players out there that play priests as well so I figured I would take the time to make a list of links that I've found useful.
Derevka's Blog - a well written blog (though not updated everyday) on disc/holy healing
http://talesofapriest.com/
Her Power Aura strings which I really like
http://talesofapriest.com/power-auras/
Elitist Jerks Holy Compendium - has an overview of talent discussions, spell coefficients, gems/enchants, macros, etc. (I disagree slightly with their talent build but to each their own.)
http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t110245-cat ... compendium
Plusheals.com Loot List from Heroics/JPs/Enchants/Consumables (more useful to all healers than just holy priests)
http://plusheal.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7901
MMO "BiS" Pre Raid Gear List - One can always agrue the strengths and weaknesses of BiS gear lists but some people enjoy them.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/797 ... clysm-Gear
Gearing Up for Heroics via Quests/AH/Easily Obtainable Rep Rewards for Priests
http://plusheal.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8048
Note: If there are other links that people frequent/enjoy/use, please let me know and I'll do my best to keep it updated.
I'm really enjoying the challenge of healing on my holy priest. I've heard numerous complaints about mana/people dying but I have been loving it.
Some observations from my play time:
- Use. My. God. Damn. Lightwell. It's one of our highest Heals per mana, you don't have to lose your target, you can use it while stunned, it has a 20 yard range, and it won't hurt your god damn dps. Use it. I can now mark it with a raid icon and I'll put it where you can easily get to it. Take your eyes away from your Sinister Strike/Steady Shot/Frostbolt/Mind Flay spam and click on it.
- Shadowfiend is your friend. Use it pre-emptively. Don't wait until you're at 10% mana. Don't be afraid to use it on trash either. WotLK habits have been hard to kill and Flash Heals drain your mana quickly. A wonderful tip from Lev: "Combine Hymn of Hope with Shadowfiend. Fiend regens based on your max mana, and Hymn increases this for a period."
- Talk to your tanks and have them let you know when they're out of defensive cooldowns. Guardian Spirit is there to be used and not just for raid boss kill pictures with you popping wings. For five mans, if I'm running low on mana, I'll pop it on the tank and then pop Hymn of Hope to regain some mana while the tank tanks the "killing blow" to proc the heal. Usually gives me enough time to gain some mana back and keep on healing.
- Don't view chakra as a cooldown. Think of it as sustained healing thoroughput. Levantine makes a very good point about NOT macroing chakra into you spells:
"State of Mind is good. Take it. There are some people arguing the use of macroing Chakra to Heal and Prayer of Healing and Mending to maintain 100% uptime without thought. Personally I think this is a horrible idea that saps away any flexibility you had. Just had an unexpected spike of AoE damage and you want to drop a Sanctuary? Too fucking bad, you just autocast Chakra: Serenity because it was macro'd into your heal instead of extending your original Chakra with SoM."
- I still like Spirit of Redemption. I've found it enormously useful in 5 mans. The EJ talent tree doesn't take it and I don't quite understand why (especially when they choose the Renew GCD reducing talent when it's hard to keep blanketing the raid/party with renews. I've found myself in the Heal Chakra state 80-90% of the time. One renew is generally all I need and I don't find the benefit of a 0.5 sec reduction in a spell that I don't seem to cast much).
- Don't poo poo mastery. Echo of Light has turned out to be my 3rd highest heal on recount on many occasions. As Levantine says "Mastery is effectively a Holy Priest's second (third? I'm not sure whether to include Spirit considering it's guaranteed to be on all of my pieces bar trinkets) best stat after reaching the 12.5% minimum haste. Echoes of Light is my favourite of the healing masteries."
I hope this helps some priests out there and hopefully starts some kind of discussion. Thanks for taking the time to read it.
P.S. I will try to make this first post as strealimed as possible since it's my hope this first post can be a jumping off point for our fellow priests. I will incorporate ideas/forums/macros as they come up.
Edit: 12/15/10 - Added quest/ah/easy rep rewards for heroics link
thatguy
Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 pm
