Skip to content
Maintankadin

Post Your Successes!

Lore
Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:22 pm

Post Your Successes!

This is the spiritual successor to the original Weekend Successes thread (located here for posterity). As more and more new Tankadins pop up and join these forums, we're seeing more and more successes on all levels, and it's getting hard for new members to know exactly where they should boast about their many accomplishments! So, if you've got something to brag about, here's the place to do it!

9/6/2007: changed the title cuz people keep thinking I made a sticky to post how awesome I am
quoll
Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:36 pm
I could start this with the most cliche responce but I wont.


Anyho! Tankatronic googles after days of farming have been created! Now I just need a meta and head enchant and Im a happy tank!
Fenzien
Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:38 pm
My guild has been running karazhan for around 3-4 months now, with people slowly starting to "see the light" as far as paladin tankage goes (I was holy spec pre BC, as many of us were). And last reset, with only one priest available for our second kara group, and after having some unsuccessful attempts on moroes (usually a one shot with the right group), it was decided that I could try aoe tanking moroes and all his adds... we've always gone with the "cc 2-3 adds" approach in the past. One of the healers later commented that it was the smoothest moroes kill that he'd seen. :o

To date I've tanked every boss in karazhan with the exception of nightbane. We've had limited success in 25 mans so far, but I have been given the task of helping tank the summoner on our various high king kills.
SmurfZG
Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:44 pm
hey! I was gonna make a thread for this /brag, but then I found this new sticky! :)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9777/wowscrnshot082107223858zh2.jpg

Nightbane down! No fearward, no tremors :) you can verify the classes in the picture. Also, this was done by an average kara/blue geared group.

Used the crappy version of the pvp trinket, divine shield and bop. I only got feared once, but noone died.

It was a lot less luck dependent than I though it would be, figured we'd have to have loads of luck to not get too many fears, but we didn't really wipe much to fear related issues at all. If I had the trinket with shorted CD, this would be cake.
Mortehl
Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:00 pm
The other night, I tanked Leo and we downed him on the first try with me handling human side. I find this to be such a huge victory because, everyone in the guild was pissing and moaning about hard it was going to be. I kept on telling them, you have a prot pally, does the word cake mean anything?

I also found it very funny that all the prot warriors got owned by their inner demons, and the one moment I got one due to a strange los issue, I killed mine in about 8 seconds :P
Lightbeard
Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:17 pm
First Page woot

I didnt get to tank Kara today cause we didnt have enough healers and Karazhan crashed
Hon
Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:56 pm
I beat a rogue in a duel today, only took me 2 foods and 4 waters and 10min's >.>
Anduril
Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:13 pm
Had my first shot at tanking for my guild tonight...

Tanked all the phoenix trash, which made them very happy... then they were even happier when we 1-shotted Loot Reaver with me holding threat on him 70% of the time :)
elson
Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 pm
Well after switching servers and becoming my new guilds 2nd kara run MT I have in the last week Mt'd all of kara and my guilds first Gruul kill. In my previous guild I wasn't given the chance to MT anything except curator and nightbane once so it feels kinda nice.

Also I am getting comments during heroic runs like "I don't think I like warrior tanks anymore". I really had to pull tooth and nail in the last guild to get any type of respect or a chance to do anything, and in this guild people have really been supportive. It's amazing what you can do when people try and build you up instead of spending most of their time trying to prove you're not worth a raid slot.

Moroes finally dropped his belt tonight, and I broke 14k health unbuffed with 269 spell dmg. Still need buffs to be uncrushable but not by much. Once I get 2 more drops from kara its looking like I will be at 14.3k or so which is more then enough to tackle the upcoming content my guild will be facing. It's starting to be fun to do the tankadin thing for me again :)
Cakes
Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:18 am
elson wrote:Well after switching servers and becoming my new guilds 2nd kara run MT I have in the last week Mt'd all of kara and my guilds first Gruul kill. In my previous guild I wasn't given the chance to MT anything except curator and nightbane once so it feels kinda nice.

Also I am getting comments during heroic runs like "I don't think I like warrior tanks anymore". I really had to pull tooth and nail in the last guild to get any type of respect or a chance to do anything, and in this guild people have really been supportive. It's amazing what you can do when people try and build you up instead of spending most of their time trying to prove you're not worth a raid slot.

Moroes finally dropped his belt tonight, and I broke 14k health unbuffed with 269 spell dmg. Still need buffs to be uncrushable but not by much. Once I get 2 more drops from kara its looking like I will be at 14.3k or so which is more then enough to tackle the upcoming content my guild will be facing. It's starting to be fun to do the tankadin thing for me again :)


No longer with Virtue? Ah, I lost a pally friend. Best of luck to you man. May the tank loot overfloweth.
Bemm
Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:56 am
Well, a couple weeks ago, after hounding our gm for a while from my usual position up the back healing, he allowed me to MT Curator, after a few wipes he was clearly unimpressed with pally tanks across the board and that was my last opportunity for a while...

due to tanks dropping out like flies we had to bring up a few new ones and last weekend I got an opportunity to do some off tanking. When our MT got taken out within the first 5 seconds of the Twin Arcane golems before Curator i tanked them both on my own and got them down, thus was awarded the position of MT for curator who went down in 1 shot, excorsising my daemons and restoring faith in pally tanks for my guild!

Since then i've been given a spot as a raid leader for our guild and even done some guild firsts!

Still needing to upgrade certain items of gear but looking forward to succesfully tanking Prince soon! (so far we only down him with a druid tank)

-Bemm
jaguor
Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:44 am
with paladin tanks still up there in terms of whether we make good tanks or not, i was asked to go protection by my guild. In doing so, I had joined the 3 other tankadins that were already taken. Though at first i didn't know what I was doing, some useful tips from druids and warriors gave me ideas as to what needed to be done. After some tweaking of my own, i set out to show what paladin tanks could do. To say the least, the success was overwhelming. I had guild members asking for me personally to tank when in the beginning they didn't want me around unless I was a healer. Even when I switched to ret for a bit of fun (I switched back of course) i was getting bombarded by tells to go back to prot. a great feeling i must say.

Also, we had 4 kara groups raiding weekly. one group had 2 warriors since we only had 3 capable tankadins that we knew of. One week, a warrior was unable to make the instance and thus they asked if I could take the place.

I am proud to say that I did my brother and sister paladins proud. Not only did we finish the night without a single wipe, we also cleared more of the instance than any other group at that time. We made it to curator in 2 and a half hours and one shotted him down.

So my brethren, i must say, keep the fight going, for as we are Paladins, the Light of Paladin Tankadins Shall Never Fade!
Arcand
Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:12 am
Spent an unspecified amount of gold to get the plans for Boots of the Protector - my first spell damage increase in about four months.

Bought the plans from the most-progressed guild on the server - yay for guilds that don't let their paladins do anything but heal...? :?
Nimanth
Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:04 am
Last night was a personal Triumph for me. My guild has been clearing Kara for some time now, which I have always been a part of, only as a healer. On a whim I respecced Prot (After months of gathering gear as I could) to help a few guild mates do AoE Shattered Halls runs. My GM knew that I have wanted to be Protection for some time told me to stop respeccing, and enjoy my spec!

So with his approval, last night I was able to MT almost all of Kara up to Curator (I ended up healing for Maiden and Curator for the fact that our healers was one Priest and a Druid, and the normal MT was in there), and I will tell you everyone was happy with the performance. I think we used a total of 3 Shackles all night (The Skeletons that Ice Tomb you) and it was fantastic. I MT Attumen and the Horse, we did AoE pulls all night, I Tank Romulo, and multiple adds at once. Last night was such a joy for me. It has been a long time since I have had that much fun.

To my brothers and sisters at arms, Keep fighting the good fight, and inspiring all of the community.

Nimanth
<Exhumed>
Argent Dawn
Mortehl
Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:11 am
Nimanth, good for you man :-)

I wonder how many of us honestly thought tanking was where we'd wind up, but screw it, now that we're here lets have fun at it!
Elcure
Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:15 am
Though not much, we went to Kara without a hunter so they ask me to pull. Why not, i was the only one with good range spell. Got all the way to Netherspite. The warrior who was suppose to be on the first target to kill did find it very hard to pull thing out of me, so we swap, her being second target to kill. We shared the tanking duty depending on boss which i tend to do usually in Karazhan.

Weird raid composition, no hunter or rogue or warlock but dam we had good dps, Curator down while still in the second evocation while me tanking :)

No loot though but had a good previous run (Nightbane shield, Wrynn and Aran Shaulders).
corto
Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:19 am
I am MT for my guild and we finally downed prince last night! (took 2 days of tries).Plus the T4 helm dropped and i won it!!
Was such a rush :)

Hopefully we can down gruul soon and will prove to everyone in my guild paladin tanks are here to stay
Sunstrider
Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:05 am
Hate to be spell check police but since its in such a big sig that clearly took some time to make, jaguor its spelled "Victim".
Sero
Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 pm
The last week has been a fest for me.

Tier 4 shoulders, Boots of Elusion, Nightbane Shield, Cloak from Illhoof.

Also downed Void Reaver and did tries on Magtheridon :)


But biggest of all; People sees me in org, and whispers me for heroic tanking. That is, above all, in my opinion the biggest thing for a tankadin. :)
stalkerzero
Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:58 pm
Twenty murlocs tanked in succession last night in Dustwallow Marsh.

I was being lazy and not judging Justice to keep them from running. About what seemed like two hours later I finally got done killing them all (after blowing a pot, BoP, Divine Protection, and Lay on Hands).

They rewarded me with a Riverpride Choker.

I can't believe how fun leveling is like this.
quoll
Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:06 pm
Happy tankadin

- Kara cleared upto Chess event (our "part one" par say)
- New bracers from Attune, how nice of him
- Ass pulling Cruator FTW!

But most of all, having one of the guild hunters whom had never seen me in action tell me afterwards "Seriously, excellent work, you looked smooth and in control".


Always makes me feel getting compliments :)
Sanguinius
Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:16 pm
Tanked more of kara, got into a guild who accepts me as a tank, and kicked a warriors ass in tanking moroes and romulo and julianne, got maiden gloves, wrynn dynasty, and shade tanking ring all in one night.

Image

Image

Cheers!
Destraal
Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:22 pm

Success!

Well, first night in Karazhan we downed Attumen and Maiden in 3 hours. We were all pretty new to Kara and I was the only tank. Last night we went in again for 3 hours and downed Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, and Opera(Oz) with me being the only tank in the group. What an awesome introduction to raiding for me. :P
elson
Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Cakes wrote:
elson wrote:
No longer with Virtue? Ah, I lost a pally friend. Best of luck to you man. May the tank loot overfloweth.


They had been raiding 5 days a week and I thought at most I was going to be doing 4 every now and then. I didn't really have too much of a problem with it seeing as I am disabled and had nothing else to do, but I also am engaged and getting married in about a month and a half. She's moving in then and yeah, no way in hell I'm raiding 5 days a week as a newly wed.

I wasn't really able to let a lot of people know before I switched too. Durotan was going to be down for two days for extended stuff and then the character transfers were going to get locked down for a few more days. I already had farmed all the mats to replace the resist gear virtue put on me so I made the choice to transfer earlier then I had intended in order to make it to my new guilds' first gruul attempt. All that combined with the earlier mentioned attitude just made the choice to go easier

Don't get me wrong, there are some great people in that guild. However, overall I felt that people were just stuck in their ways and didn't have an interest in learning what I could teach or allowing me to play to my full potential. The wedding came at a really good time imo, good reason to look somewhere else :) /endrant

Best of wishes to you and Midwinter on Ysera. You guys had been doing really well the last time I checked and I hope you keep it up.
Erutaron
Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:12 pm
Been scanning the AH for a Crystlforged sword for months (since I started leveling my paladin again) lowest price I had seen was 250g which I wasn't willing to spend.

Searched it today, 35g :-D

So now I have 19 levels to go before I can use it.....motivation to level I guess :-)